sabrage - gone wrong

Ken Gargett

Pure gold.

If you actually know what you are doing then this is easy and fun. If you don't, there will be blood. the bloke who taught me, a Scottish waiter in France, could do it with the base of a wine glass. didn't even need a blade.

but paradoxically, the better the champagne, the more chance of success. cheaper bottles far more likely to explode. i know that from experience. i have a scar from "opening" a very cheap bottle at a presentation in vietnam in front of 200 people. tried to do it with the back of a saw. very embarrassing. there was blood.

Love the way the bloke in the top video picks up the towel, and just when you think he is about to be a gentleman, mops his own face and leaves the poor woman dripping wet.

And how the Chinese woman didn’t lose her hand??? And then drinks from the smashed remnants!

http://www.eater.com/2016/12/27/14091676/sabering-champagne-gone-wrong-videos

Laughed when I wasn't cringing. I've only done sabrage twice, luckily, I was successful both times..... but I've never attempted it with a meat cleaver! That Chinese woman thought she had to chop it off.