48 Second Destruction (UFC - SPOILER ALERT)


Recommended Posts

Spoiler Alert...In case you hadn't heard, Ronda Rousy was utterly destroyed in her comeback fight vs Amanda Nunes.  The fight, and I use the term loosely, lasted all of 48 seconds.  Clearly Ronda possesses little in the way of striking skills, notably, she had zero head movement.  Nunes punches found their intended target easily and often, leading to a quick and merciful stoppage.  Nunes's striking is on a different planet by comparison and her power is stunning, Meisha Tate fared no better when she fought Nunes.  Clearly, Rousy's time is done, she reigned when there were few women in the sport, and now that their numbers have increased, her skill set has been eclipsed.  She should retire while her mind and body are still whole.

 

On a lighter note, the Dominic Cruz fight was quite entertaining, and there is now a new sheriff in town...Cody Garbrandt.  In an extremely entertaining fight, Garbrandt proved too much for Cruz to handle.  Garbrandt knocked Cruz down multiple times on his way to a unanimous win and the Bantamweight Title.

 

And as an aside...former women's Bantamweight champ Holly Holm, is moving up to the new 145 lb women's Featherweight Division.  She will face a multiiple time Muy Tai champion that looks like a certifiable nightmare!  Can't remember her name, but she looks to be even more dangerous than Nunes.  Feel free to "weigh-in" (pun intended).  Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hutch said:

Rousey has always been an arrogant, entitled, poor-sport bitch. Yes, she was instrumental in women breaking into big time MMA, but skills and training of real fighters has left her In the dust. She was a one-trick pony...its good riddance IMO. Time for the sport to move on.

Don't beat around the bush Hutch, say what you mean!  Lol.  I think the sport will definitely move on, she was embarrassingly outclassed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The chink in the armor is now a gaping hole.  Usually happens that way.  She made a cool $3 million for this beatdown.  Shes a true champion.  Im sure this really hurts her.  Maybe she should switch up coaches.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Edmund Tarverdyan delusion. He's a fraud. Ronda is loyal to a fault. She should be training with high level coaches. She should have listened to her mother. I hope this one sided whooping leads her to reevaluate her skill set and preparation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been surprised how slow she has looked her last 2 fights. She has poor defense with virtually no head movement. Her strength is obviously Judo, but she can no longer get in close enough for take downs without getting her clock cleaned. I would have thought she would have shown more progress with her striking and defense since her fight with Holm, but if anything, she looked worse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

     *** W-e-l-l-l-l-l-l, I'm not crying' for poor little Ronda!  However, non-fighter in that respect that I am - she might want to follow Mr. Myagi's  (The Karate Kid's mentor) advice: (pointing to his head) "Fighting always in here!"  And also to realize - the GREATEST of the Great eventually lose; Muhammad Ali to Larry Holmes; Chuck, the "Ice Man" Liddel to just about everybody - Rich "Ace" Franklin, Sugar Rashad Evans, "Rampage" Jackson, and I think even The Dean of Mean Keith Jardine; And Anderson "The Spider" Silva's losing to Chris Weideman twice, and Michael Bisping. Yet their names are still the benchmark that the world refers to in their sport. And Miss Rousey's name will also be forever carved into her niche for general comparance; - "I'd rather have Ronda Rousey go after my just healed broken arm than go get a root canal!" So quoted by ME!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

Was weird watching her head take punch after punch without attempting to avoid being hit.   Someone keeps banging a cinderblock on your noggin your knees are bound to buckle.

Just sayin'.

Cinderblock...nice analogy, and I agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cigcars said:

     *** W-e-l-l-l-l-l-l, I'm not crying' for poor little Ronda!  However, non-fighter in that respect that I am - she might want to follow Mr. Myagi's  (The Karate Kid's mentor) advice: (pointing to his head) "Fighting always in here!"  And also to realize - the GREATEST of the Great eventually lose; Muhammad Ali to Larry Holmes; Chuck, the "Ice Man" Liddel to just about everybody - Rich "Ace" Franklin, Sugar Rashad Evans, "Rampage" Jackson, and I think even The Dean of Mean Keith Jardine; And Anderson "The Spider" Silva's losing to Chris Weideman twice, and Michael Bisping. Yet their names are still the benchmark that the world refers to in their sport. And Miss Rousey's name will also be forever carved into her niche for general comparance; - "I'd rather have Ronda Rousey go after my just healed broken arm than go get a root canal!" So quoted by ME!

Here now, there's no need to go scaring everyone with talk of root canals!  :hole:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dozerhead said:

I have been surprised how slow she has looked her last 2 fights. She has poor defense with virtually no head movement. Her strength is obviously Judo, but she can no longer get in close enough for take downs without getting her clock cleaned. I would have thought she would have shown more progress with her striking and defense since her fight with Holm, but if anything, she looked worse. 

Looks like I'm not the only one who noticed the lack of head movement, and you're right...she should have made at least a little progress with her striking, and moving your head is basic stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sean3 said:

Here now, there's no need to go scaring everyone with talk of root canals!  :hole:

     *Hey! I keep my dentists laughing all day with my declarations of "No Root Canals For Me"! They ALLLL want to "Root Canal" "Root Canal" "Root Canal" ya!

     And I'll be: "I'd rather go skinny dipping in the Bermuda Triangle than get a root canal!"

     "I'd rather betray Michael Corleone than get a root canal!"

     "I'd rather book a two week stay in Room 1408 than get a root canal!"  Ad Infinitum...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LeafLover said:

The chink in the armor is now a gaping hole.  Usually happens that way.  She made a cool $3 million for this beatdown.  Shes a true champion.  Im sure this really hurts her.  Maybe she should switch up coaches.

Possibly, but her striking really is wretched, it needs vast improvement just to be considered basic.  That being said, I'm hearing a lot about her coach or trainer being a fraud.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cigcars said:

     *Hey! I keep my dentists laughing all day with my declarations of "No Root Canals For Me"! They ALLLL want to "Root Canal" "Root Canal" "Root Canal" ya!

     And I'll be: "I'd rather go skinny dipping in the Bermuda Triangle than get a root canal!"

     "I'd rather betray Michael Corleone than get a root canal!"

     "I'd rather book a two week stay in Room 1408 than get a root canal!"  Ad Infinitum...

:rotfl:

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I watched it. I wonder if her cold knockout before this one had anything to do with her going out so soon? Maybe it was all mental or maybe she was still slightly concussed from that kick Holly landed on her. Either way, I'll be surprised if she comes back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Possibly, but her striking really is wretched, it needs vast improvement just to be considered basic.  That being said, I'm hearing a lot about her coach or trainer being a fraud.


Fraud might have been a strong word. (also used by her mother btw)
He was trainer for a real boxer for a couple of fights.( Vic Darchinyan)
His MMA training record is horrible though aside from Ronda's win streak.
And the fact remains Ronda's striking has been severely exposed. What we saw last night was , in my opinion, clear evidence that she was unable to honestly evaluate the roots of her loss.

I'm a sucker for redemption stories and I really hope she comes back. She should fire Edmund, get some mental coaching and go to one of the elite camps with great coaches and training partners. Come back in 6 months to a year and fight the 8th ranked fighter. Build slow. Get title back in 2 years. That's if she still has that fighter spirit. If not she should hang em up.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked to me like she was getting a big fat purse for losing, she knew it and decided to go that route before hanging up the gloves..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, feral said:


Fraud might have been a strong word. (also used by her mother btw)
He was trainer for a real boxer for a couple of fights.( Vic Darchinyan)
His MMA training record is horrible though aside from Ronda's win streak.
And the fact remains Ronda's striking has been severely exposed. What we saw last night was , in my opinion, clear evidence that she was unable to honestly evaluate the roots of her loss.

I'm a sucker for redemption stories and I really hope she comes back. She should fire Edmund, get some mental coaching and go to one of the elite camps with great coaches and training partners. Come back in 6 months to a year and fight the 8th ranked fighter. Build slow. Get title back in 2 years. That's if she still has that fighter spirit. If not she should hang em up.

There is a boxing coach by the name of Duane "Bang" Ludwig, who is supposed to be a striking whisperer.  If she decides to keep fighting she'll need someone like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ethernut said:

Looked to me like she was getting a big fat purse for losing, she knew it and decided to go that route before hanging up the gloves..

Another possibility.  LeafLover says she got paid $3 Million, pretty damn good for losing spectacularly!  She never had a chance and knew it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SloppyJ said:

My wife and I watched it. I wonder if her cold knockout before this one had anything to do with her going out so soon? Maybe it was all mental or maybe she was still slightly concussed from that kick Holly landed on her. Either way, I'll be surprised if she comes back. 

I'm inclined to agree with the coming back part.  It would take a lot of change, work, and mental healing for her to continue and have any kind of success.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.