Back in the market for some sunnies with great glass. My primary purpose is fishing (shallow water predominantly) <3m

The best glass I have personally owned has been the Cosa Del Mar 580G. I haven't tried the new Oakley Prizm shallow/deep water or really anything out there over the past 36 months. 

Let me know what you are wearing/recommending for your outdoor eyewear :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maui Jim. Lenses are the best in the biz.  Polarized.   They are so clear and colors pop it's insane.  Compare them side by side with other brands out in the sunlight if you can.  You will b

Second on the Maui Jim's. 

Yeah.. Sounds like an echo chamber, but I'm in the Maui Jim crowd too.. 

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

Back in the market for some sunnies with great glass. My primary purpose is fishing (shallow water predominantly) <3m

The best glass I have personally owned has been the Cosa Del Mar 580G. I haven't tried the new Oakley Prizm shallow/deep water or really anything out there over the past 36 months. 

Let me know what you are wearing/recommending for your outdoor eyewear :thumbsup:

My father has the prizm lenses and absolutely loves them. If you have existing Oakley glasses they will sell just the Prizm lenses as replacement as well! We fly fish as well and he used them quite a bit over the summer. 

• Like 1

Rob, think about Smith ChromaPop...I use them fly fishing trout on streams in Pennsylvania and New York and am very impressed with the quality/clarity.

Oakley Turbine Prism.

I have the shallow water and deep water lenses. Both are exceptional for fishing.

JMO

I'm a big fan of the Oakley X-Metal range (got a bunch of Juliets and X-Sqaured before they were discontinued) with the iridium lenses. The new Prizm lenses are fantastic. If you have an old Oakley, you can get Prizm lenses cut to size if they are no longer available.

PREZ,

My uncle is an optician and I can get pretty much anything made either for free or at cost.   The Oakley Straight Jacket is hands down my favorite. Love how the temples block light from the side. Love their ANSI Rated lenses and color choices.  I require prescription lenses and Oakley makes 'em right up for me, albeit at a cost, but IMO well worth a couple extra Bens....  Eye fatigue is a thing of the past.....

Guest photorob

For fishing, go top of the mark Costa Del Mar and I don't think you can be beat. I have 580P's and they cut through the water like nobodies business. Not sure if there are newer/better but they probably have updated their lines. There is a reason why so many guides wear them.

1 hour ago, Ethernut said:

Yeah.. Sounds like an echo chamber, but I'm in the Maui Jim crowd too.. 

I will just "like" your comment and keep my 5 pairs of Maui Jim's to myself. 

Hi Rob, 

I live down in Miami and fish the ocean side but mostly the shallow water. About 80% of my time is shallow water sight fishing as you describe. Mostly we are fishing on sand flats / grass. I'd imagine the water you fish is somewhat similar to what we have here. I have owned tons of sunglasses over the years for both on and off the water and for fishing I wear mainly all Costas.

I have found that the lense selection makes a big difference. I wear the Green Mirror (a copper-colored mirror) in higher light and in deeper water (they cut reflection more). In lower light, I wear the regular copper (unmirrored copper) - what Costa used to call the vermillion lense when they had more options. I have no idea if this is just personal preference, never paid a ton of attention. But for me, always copper for fishing (and shooting, which I do much less). Try em all. I prefer the glass. 

Costa also sells the Blue Mirror (grey lense) and it's counterpart the flat gray. Someone must like them more than the copper, much like some cigars that I wonder why they exist! Someone likes em! 

I also strongly prefer a pair for fishing that runs tighter to the face, it keeps the light out on long days and keeps your eyes from watering up when running fast on the boat (or hide tears if you need to sneak one in after losing a fish). The tradeoff is women seem to find them less fashionable and they will exacerbate a tan line. I actually have a pair of Maui's and even a pair of Ray Ban P's for off the water. Personally, I take pride in my raccoon eyes however. For fishing though those are my thoughts! 

Tight lines! Cheers! 

Nice - a topic not really of utmost importance here atm - at slightly positive sun elevation angles and what feels like a mere one lux midday light level, in unit with a neat first winter storm of the year.

Great - many thanks, Rob, for helping along my winter depression !  :rolleyes:  ;)

wt.JPG