Bourbon whiskey. As the Winter mercury in North America drops into the minuses, it seems like a fitting time for drinking bourbon whiskey. I have enjoyed Makers Mark and Knob Creek in the past and recently purchased a bottle of Four Roses single barrel (100 proof) which I found surprisingly smooth and compliments a cigar well. 

Who drinks it and what are your favorites?

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys. Not to be a "d-ck" but I have a TRUE interesting insider story.  In 1987 there was no such product that was called a Single Barrel Bourbon... In 1987 I was the VP Marketing for Ancient A

Blanton's always and forever for me. Buffalo Trace if I can't find Blanton's.

Big fan of all of the 4 Roses - even the yellow label tastes much better than its pricetag. Favor the Small Batch over the Single Barrel. Fell in love with Willett Pot Still Reserve last holiday

" userid="649"] Blanton's always and forever for me. Buffalo Trace if I can't find Blanton's.

8810858217502.png

Came in this post to say the same. For my money there is no better bourbon than Blanton's. At $65ish a bottle it's not "cheap".... but it's my go to when I'm having a glass with a cigar. When I have friends over it's buffalo trace all the way. Glad we share a similar opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I reach for Speyside Scotch more often than Bourbon, but I do partake in Kentucky's shine.

I popped a bottle of FR SB recently and can't keep my hands off it. Great stuff.

Prior to that I may have had a wee bit of 7-Year old Costco/Kirkland “Premium Small Batch” Kentucky Straight Bourbon, 103 proof. I think that may have been a Beam distillation.

And then from time to time I might have dosed a tad of Basil Hayden and some Angel's Envy.

But that was all this morning, so memory is a bit foggy right now :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses. Simple, delicious, AFFORDABLE!

Havent tried Blantons. Whats the diff between green and gold?

As far as I can tell the green or "Special Reserve" appears the same except for Alcohol %....it might be marketing as I saw this... Please Note: Special Reserve is currently only offered in international markets, as well as in Duty Free organizations (typically located in airports) domestically.

I drink the regular single barrel...not sure the difference between that and Gold though other than Gold is 51% alcohol and the regular is 46% proof.

https://www.blantonsbourbon.com/special#

Snip20170108_3.png

Snip20170108_4.png

• Like 1

Bourbon is a cruel mistress. Like the American buffalo, hipster bourbon turds have raped our lands hoarding the bourbons to sell their skins on the secondary markets for ridiculous prices. Gone are the days when herds Elmer T Lee roamed free on the shelves of the shittiest liquor stores. It's a sad day here in Kentucky. I've personally switched to rums which still are an easy catch.

As far as bourbons try:
Noah's Mill
Blanton -same mash bill as Elmer T
Micthers
Elijah Craig
Eagle Rare
Colonel Taylor
Forrester's bottled in bond
Four Roses Single barrel
Bookers
Basil Hayden

These are pretty solid.

Here's a good talk from Jim Beams great grandson Fred Noe

• Like 2

We have a local distillery that I have been gravitating to: Burnside bourbon out of Portland, Oregon; but on the national side, like everyone else it seems, Blantons is great. I also like the WL Weller (original, not antique or reserve) for a more inexpensive (here anyway) bottle. Woodford double owned is pretty good too. Lately though I e been reaching for either scotch or rye.

Buffalo Trace

Four Roses

1792 Sweet Wheat

Elijah Craig

For sipping

Beam 

Makers Mark

For mixing

Going to visit Brian (Ethernet) some day for a proper lesson and a tour of the Burbon trail.

• Like 1

For Rye I like High West Double Rye.
My go to bourbon is Angels Envy.
Blanton's and Buffalo Trace are quite good also. Michter's as well.
A good blend is Jonnie Walker Black or if affordable... blue. I haven't yet tried Crown Rye but heard it's tasty

Strong cigars go nicely with Rye. Mediums better with Bourbon ? to not be overwhelmed.

Agree with Blantons, awesome stuff. Blanton's is actually pretty cheap here in Delaware; about $50ish and in ready supply. 

I would also way look out for the Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch; really solid and retails for well under $20/750ml. 

Four Roses Small Batch
Blantons Single Barrel
*Widow Jane
**Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

When I go out, is when I sample a glass of the the finer(more $$) bottles before ever purchasing. Has been a good rule of thumb
for me. All these are great with with cigars!!!

E

So many bourbons so little time...

My bourbon collection is diverse. However, I always keep Wellers, Buffalo Trace, FEW Rye, Woodford, Blantons, & Pappy on hand. My pour depends on my mood, occasion, cocktail recipe & company. 

Big fan of all of the 4 Roses - even the yellow label tastes much better than its pricetag. Favor the Small Batch over the Single Barrel.

Fell in love with Willett Pot Still Reserve last holiday season - a smooth and honey-laden sipper that complements a nice Havana well! Somewhat hard to find, but always worth a buy if you find it. Their rye expressions are excellent as well.

Also love Weller's offerings, but impossible to find since everybody found out its essentially Pappy under a different label (and modest MSRP).

• Like 3

Anything in the buffalo trace tree is exceptional, especially the ryes. George T Stagg, Thomas Handy, and Sazerac 18 are all great, but hard to find. They're buy on site for me. Love Blanton's too, but it's just as hard to find in Texas as the others. Buffalo Trace and Woodford's are staples for me. Texas's "TX" whiskey is quite good and recently tried a Kentucky bourbon called "Walking Stick" that is very good.