• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys. Not to be a "d-ck" but I have a TRUE interesting insider story.  In 1987 there was no such product that was called a Single Barrel Bourbon... In 1987 I was the VP Marketing for Ancient A

Blanton's always and forever for me. Buffalo Trace if I can't find Blanton's.

Big fan of all of the 4 Roses - even the yellow label tastes much better than its pricetag. Favor the Small Batch over the Single Barrel. Fell in love with Willett Pot Still Reserve last holiday

Blanton's is sublime. The 2nd best bourbon I tried last year. The 1st being Makers Mark Barrel Select---unavailable in stores.
It was a pretty damn good day the day I tried that Makers Barrel Select. I had a shot of all of the new Knobb Creek Bourbons, followed by the Makers, then Pappy's then...I don't remember.... :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

All I really need to say on the topic.. I'm an expert! (But not really...)

Uh...I really wish you would have been hush-hush about the Eagle Rare. Jen does all of the liquor buying for the store she manages and she said people literally wait at the store for Eagle Rare to show up. I can't even get a bottle and I am sleeping with the boss!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

While growing up both my grandfather father enjoyed bourbon I remember the aroma when I'd ask to take a whiff.  It was only a matter of time before I knew it was my preferred sipping drink.

Like many trying to find Pappys or any of the Buffalo Trace offerings can empty your wallet rather quickly if you can find it.  At a local bar here in town Friday evening  I noticed a full bottle of Pappys and asked what a shot went for...?  His reply $80.00!!   In the world of bourbon it's a fun ride to try many offerings recently I've been enjoying 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.  

Not to go too off topic, but a true bourbon legend, Parker Beam, passed away yesterday.

Heaven Hill is one of my favorite distilleries, Rittenhouse, McKenna, Elijah Craig and of course, Parker's Heritage Collection.

Tipping my glass to a true craftsman.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/2017/01/09/parker-beam-longtime-master-distiller-at-heaven-hill-has-passed-away/

Not a bourbon drinker  (yet) that Blanton stuff sounds delicious from what i read on the Web.  Here in Sweden I can get original, gold edition and straight from the cask. Which one should i go for?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johanski said:

Not a bourbon drinker  (yet) that Blanton stuff sounds delicious from what i read on the Web.  Here in Sweden I can get original, gold edition and straight from the cask. Which one should i go for?

All are good so plan on eventually getting all.  However the Gold is a great one to start with.  Also, for a beginner to bourbon, try a Woodford Reserve which is very approachable, easy to drink and easy on the wallet. 

• Like 1

Blanton's, Angels Envy, Jeffersons Small Batch, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek and even on occasion a wheater, Makers Mark.

On 1/9/2017 at 5:11 PM, BarryNY said:

Hi Guys. Not to be a "d-ck" but I have a TRUE interesting insider story.  In 1987 there was no such product that was called a Single Barrel Bourbon...

In 1987 I was the VP Marketing for Ancient Age Distillery - the owner of Blanton Bourbon.  At the time, we were selling maybe 100 cases/month across the entire USA...a pittance of volume...but millions of cases of Ancient Age.  We needed some type of marketing "hook" to get some traction for the brand.

I had come to Ancient Age from being the Marketing Director for Remy Martin America - importer of Remy cognac so I was familiar with "trendy" brands and brand marketing. Marketing always works best when you are honest with the customer.  We needed to look deep into the product history an/or production methodology to come up with something that we could use to communicate that the product was "better" than other bourbons - something we could use to differentiate the brand.

I'd love to find out how much difference there is from Ancient Age to say Buffalo trace...

In a pinch I bought Ancient Age Gold (10year?) and it ain't bad.

Got any intel!!???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

didn't take me long to track some down here, at a good price it seems (no spoilers till i actually have it). as well as the original single barrel, they also sell, at three times the price, blanton's 'straight from the barrel' bourbon. any info on it much appreciated? is it that much better?

I picked up two bottles and all i can say is that it is HOT and it tastes a green it did make for a pretty good old fashion but even then it was still a punch on the tongue

Just tried some Blantons at the hotel bar... great stuff! I may have to find me a bottle.

Not officially a bourbon but besides staples like Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel and of course Booker's, I must say I enjoy me some rye, Knob Creek Rye for example. It has a hint of cherry, I think it will go just fine with RyJ Wide Churchill or Ex.#4 Something to think about for those who enjoy RyJ cherry notes.