Resting new cigars relative humidity experiment

21 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

The sticks that struggle the most are ones that I take straight from 65/65 to smoking on a hot and humid deck in Saigon.  If I smoke them in the A/C at the bar it's all business as usual.  When I "acclimatize" them, I leave them out in my hotel room with the a/c off while I'm at the office, so they quickly nudge up to 80F and 80rH conditions.  Do that for 3 days or so and they smoke very evenly, although they go out quickly.  Could well take less than 3 days, but I've not bothered to do a comparison.

That's interesting, I'll have to try that out at some point.  I've had no issues generally speaking going from 65/65 in the humidor to 80/80 outside here.  I wonder if you'd have better results with a 60% RH or lower?

6 minutes ago, mt1 said:

That's interesting, I'll have to try that out at some point.  I've had no issues generally speaking going from 65/65 in the humidor to 80/80 outside here.  I wonder if you'd have better results with a 60% RH or lower?

I went through a couple of years where I'd leave my traveling sticks in my hotel room, with the A/C on all day, in a ziplock, with a 65% Boveda.  Those were the sticks that seemed to struggle out on the deck for an evening smoke at 80/80 (more like 99/99! :P ).  I never tried something even lower than 65%.  My supposition was that, once out in the humidity, the wrapper was sopping up humidity much faster than the filler could.  However, if that were true, then all those guys licking their cigars and rinsing them under tap water should have a tunneling problem :thinking: no?  Ah, the mysteries! :cigar: 

1 minute ago, PapaDisco said:

I went through a couple of years where I'd leave my traveling sticks in my hotel room, with the A/C on all day, in a ziplock, with a 65% Boveda.  Those were the sticks that seemed to struggle out on the deck for an evening smoke at 80/80 (more like 99/99! :P ).  I never tried something even lower than 65%.  My supposition was that, once out in the humidity, the wrapper was sopping up humidity much faster than the filler could.  However, if that were true, then all those guys licking their cigars and rinsing them under tap water should have a tunneling problem :thinking: no?  Ah, the mysteries! :cigar: 

I've had some cigars taken out of the cigar fridge and condensation would build up as I stepped outside ? (99/99 sounds right, sometimes more like 99/110).  I've only had a few cigars tunnel though, very strange that you're experiencing this consistently.

12 hours ago, mt1 said:

I've had some cigars taken out of the cigar fridge and condensation would build up as I stepped outside ? (99/99 sounds right, sometimes more like 99/110).  I've only had a few cigars tunnel though, very strange that you're experiencing this consistently.

And the tunneling was most likely a construction issue, right?

• 6 months later...

I know that has subject has been beating to no end but I am still confused about relative humidity compared to absolute humidity.

I have been long term storing my cigars in my basement at a temperature range of 60 - 65 Fahrenheit during the winter and 65 - 70 Fahrenheit during the summer and a range of 62% - 65% humidity throughout the year.  

I am going to ruin them (dry them out in the winter) since my temperature is a lot Iower than 70 Fahrenheit in the winter?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Gamehawker said:

I know that has subject has been beating to no end but I am still confused about relative humidity compared to absolute humidity.

I have been long term storing my cigars in my basement at a temperature range of 60 - 65 Fahrenheit during the winter and 65 - 70 Fahrenheit during the summer and a range of 62% - 65% humidity throughout the year.  

I am going to ruin them (dry them out in the winter) since my temperature is a lot Iower than 70 Fahrenheit in the winter?

Thanks

Not an expert by any means, but I wouldn't worry about a minor difference like that over a couple temperature cycles a year.

I keep my cigars at 60 °F and 68-70% RH, so hopefully no one rolls in and says that's bad... 

9 hours ago, bpm32 said:

Not an expert by any means, but I wouldn't worry about a minor difference like that over a couple temperature cycles a year.

I keep my cigars at 60 °F and 68-70% RH, so hopefully no one rolls in and says that's bad... 

How are those cigars smoking at 60f and 70rh ?  Mine have been kept for many years at about 12% moisture content according to Piggy’s chart . One question I have on his chart , is it the purple box or the green box that we look to mirror. I understand the chart was developed using a different tobacco than cigar leaf but it looks like a very good bit of information. In the end it comes down to how your cigars are aging and smoking. So far so good for me.

51 minutes ago, smokum said:

How are those cigars smoking at 60f and 70rh ?  Mine have been kept for many years at about 12% moisture content according to Piggy’s chart . One question I have on his chart , is it the purple box or the green box that we look to mirror. I understand the chart was developed using a different tobacco than cigar leaf but it looks like a very good bit of information. In the end it comes down to how your cigars are aging and smoking. So far so good for me.

I really couldn’t say yet for aging, but they’re smoking fine. I’m in the camp that says cigars are pretty robust and difficult to mess up, but then again I haven’t aged them for 20 years like some of the folks here have.

• Like 1