New box markings? Partagas SD4

Here's an interesting box.

Was sent these pics from a friend @photorob who ordered a few boxes of PSD4's when they were on sale here a while back.  (The 2 boxes for $318 sale)  :(

The markings on the box. "Partagas" "Hecho en Cuba" , the logo etc aren't burned in. They look like they're silk screened / printed on. Anyone else notice this on their boxes of PSD4 or other?

Box code is OBM ABR 16  Serial #'s check out on Habanos site. So this isn't a "real vs fake" witch hunt.  I've checked with Rob Ayala on this. He asked me to post the pics and he himself will look at the PSD4s he has in stock with the same box code, possibly from the same mastercases he put up on sale back then. Source is PCC.

Now. On to the "evidence". 

Exhibit A: "25 Serie D No.4" - Top box is older, bottom one, recent. 

New-BoxPrintProcess-Habanos-PSD4.jpg

Exhibit B "Partagas Habana. Cuba. Top is older, bottom, recent.

New-BoxPrintProcess-Habanos-PSD4b.jpg

Exhibit C: Partagas round logo.  Left is original, right is new.

New-BoxPrintProcess-Habanos-PSD4-mERGED.jpg

Exhibit D: "Habanos s.a. Hecho en Cuba" - New.

New-BoxPrintProcess-Habanos-PSD4e.jpg

Exhibit E: Inner, cedar sheet. New. Harder to tell from this shot.

New-BoxPrintProcess-Habanos-PSD4f.jpg

Thoughts? 

Anyone have something similar? 

Guest photorob

FYI The cigars under that cedar insert are BEAUTIFUL :) 

I have the eye of an eagle though, and am always interested to hear about HSA packaging anomalies and never like to lean on the old "Cuba being Cuba" saying.

Perhaps this is being rolled out in certain examples, perhaps the machine that burns in the markings was under repair??

The important details are covered above, thanks Frank + Rob!

9 minutes ago, photorob said:

FYI The cigars under that cedar insert are BEAUTIFUL :) 

I have the eye of an eagle though, and am always interested to hear about HSA packaging anomalies and never like to lean on the old "Cuba being Cuba" saying.

Perhaps this is being rolled out in certain examples, perhaps the machine that burns in the markings was under repair??

The important details are covered above, thanks Frank + Rob!

Not a problem mate .

I will be in for a full week from the 30th and have around 8 mastercases I can look through including new ones just arrived.

• maybe a packaging anomaly (factory or factories specific).
  • maybe the new way forward.

we will work it out soon enough.

My newest order is screen printed as well. Same box code.

Its pretty crisp, a little different from the old boxes but nice. The sides have a little impression (it feels like it anyway). 

Havent noticed it on any other boxes coming in, just this one. I wonder if it's a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

Have seen this on boxes bought in the last year.  Just chalked it up to HSA's death march for marginal decreases in COGS for bigger and bigger volado rolls.  I mean, the irons to stamp the wood wear out! Wood combusts at 451F, so the irons must be at least half as hot...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxcjs0101 said:

A little off topic but how is the quality of the recent PSD4 at random without any specific box codes?

Is it skewed to the right/left or average? Just wondering..

All over the place.

OBM, SOM are skewed right.

• Like 1

PSD4 box arrived here today from our host.  Looks exactly like the new one presented here.  Dark, sharply defined markings.  But definitely branded, not ink printed.

Run your finger along the marks, you'll just barely feel the indentation.

My guess it they probably recently promoted the 300 pound dude with gorilla arms who used to run the box branding machine to a different job.  His replacement is a 90 pound young woman who can only open the door to her house by getting her shoulder into it.

• Like 1

I have a D4 box from SEP 15 that I have to say is one of the better "looking" boxes that I have seen from HSA as far as craftsmanship is concerned (dark, even burns, sharpness etc) and honestly my knee jerk reaction was one of suspicion.

ba2bb8bc6da836ef477584b429860317.jpg87bdfb2f89e337163338604075433908.jpg

Along with the nice box, the cigars themselves have been well above par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk