H. Upmann Petit Corona  LUB ABR14: Discontinued Cigar Review Weekend

2 hours ago, mwaller said:

TAny idea how LUB 14, LUB 15, and MEG 16 compare?  Thanks!

LUB/MEG have been pretty consistent their entire run. I'd go as early as possible just to have some age on whatever you're buying but all LUB/MEG codes are solid. I will say that I had a box of LUB ABR 14 Mag 46s that were quite disappointing, but I've seen very little if anything else negative about any LUB 14s. A recent box of LUB MAY 14 HUPC smoked beautifully for me.

Leave it to HSA to discontinue the best Mareva in current production...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hurltim said:

I haven't been smoking CC's as long as most here so I am sure others are lamenting this more but I think I can speak for most here and say...

Discontinuing this cigar sucks b&lls.

I had a hard time getting into H. Upmann's but this is the first cigar that really showcased what I like about Upmann's: Shortbread and coffee.

This is my 1st one from this box. Judging by this cigar, this is going to be one helluva box.

Aroma@cold: Sweet hay, touch of barnyard and a hint of twang/citrus---hmmm...

Cold Draw: Perfect draw. Sweet tobacco and just a hint of twang...weird.

Drinking my usual Sat. morning Strong Coffee with cream and sugar.

1st 3rd: The HUPC is a favorite of mine with coffee because it seems to amplify the shortbread flavors or kind of tame the coffee a bit. Yeah I know its weird. I never said I was normal. :)

Right off the bat I get sourdough bread. Huh? Like a mellow Partagas. Odd for sure but I am rollin with it. There is some sweetness but it tastes more like sweetened coffee than shortbread. Again..a little unusual to me. Usually I get blasts of shortbread right from the get go. I am jonesing for it. Where are you Oh shortbread??

As the 1/3rd progresses the shortbread shows up and starts duking it out with the sourdough. Oh man is this good! A lovely nutty aroma eminates from the smoke.

2nd 3rd: By this point the shortbread and sourdough and having a battle royale. Several puffs taste like a shortbread cookie on a thin slice of sourdough. Effing amazing! I have never met@JohnS but I wish I was smoking one of these with him right now. He would LOVE this!

As this 3rd progresses the sweet milk coffee starts to break up the fight and takes center stage.

Last 3rd: The flavors transition into a classic Upmann finish of strong, sweetened black coffee with hints of shortbread and leather. The sweetness lasts all the to the nub.

This is definitely the best HUPC I have had to this point.

eb0e50cc5ac98b6be3da91b260d92e52.jpg

7c304fdf62fc9f6b7b83eed86af0fd8c.jpg

2e3ea9341c785d92b0510c6bf14bf0c2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Tim, and so the journey with Upmann begins. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on a Magnum 46 or Connoisseur A with a little age on it

• Like 1

I have 4 full boxes. And need about 10 more! One of my favorites and truly cannot believe they are axing this! The blend is wonderful, I like it even more than the Upmann 2.

20170121_230209.jpg

20170121_230046.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hurltim said:

I had a hard time getting into H. Upmann's but this is the first cigar that really showcased what I like about Upmann's: Shortbread and coffee.

Always enjoy your reviews, Brother.  I have to say I have had two of these and wondered WTH?  They were not pleasant at all.  In fact I thought about starting a thread on what I was supposed to be tasting in the HUPC.  I'm chalking it up to youth, and the box is in the back of the humidor.  It'll keep.

Nicely done!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Onelove said:

Thanks! Great write up, one of my favourite cigars. Have you had the pleasure of a Sir Winston yet?

I can personally say no. I have no interest in cigars that size like the Sir Winston. Any cigar with a smoking time over about 90 minutes and I am bored. Even an Upmann #2 is a longer duration cigar than I prefer!

Thanks! Great write up, one of my favourite cigars. Have you had the pleasure of a Sir Winston yet?

Not yet. I have one acclimating now. She's going to sleep for 60 days min.

This sounds great!  

Any idea how LUB 14, LUB 15, and MEG 16 compare?  Thanks!

I have had one out of my MEG 16 box. This one was the 1st out of the LUB 14 box. I had smoked 4 '14's from a fellow FOH member and two younger ones from yet another FOH brother.
I don't remember the other HUPC's having such prominent notes of sourdough right off the bat. Usually it shows up as the shortbread loses its sweetness at the end of the 2nd 3rd.
The MEG 16 has a fair amount of mongrel but still good. Edges are sharper and the coffee is a little more prominent.

• Like 1