H.UPMANN NOELLAS JAR LCDH (25)

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

As we are at crossing or 'joining' paths, Ray - the discussion on vintage charts, poor years and this one here: The H. Upmann Lonsdales I got from 2000 are some of the best and most complex Upmanns, if not one of the best Lonsdales, I had. Strongly agree!

One of those cigars where you regret not having stocked up more in times when they were to be had.

... that is a fact my friend. I have one box left, and they are so tight they are extremely difficult to smoke, even for me. I pull one out now and again.

This is the only cigar that I have ever really experienced this tough a draw. But damn, the cigars are so good it is uncanny. I wish I had a 100 boxes of these. And yes, as you said, from the cursed years!

Brings back memories, aye? -R

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

7 days later.... Even though antibiotics and steroids are messing with my taste I can confirm not my smell. These smelled out of this world when I opened glass jar...just wow. Must be because the gl

First a caveat, the cigar speculation game is not one that I play. With that said, I am afraid that the 'sucker' section of the Cuban cigar market has grown leaps and bounds over the past 15 years. It

I respect a bunch of recognized names in this thread. I've aged a jar of these since release and another a year later. The jar from the second year. (Still no box code date under the cedar insert) The

3 minutes ago, PigFish said:

I don't know about that... What was the going price? I looked up some receipts and bought these GM's for less than $60.00 a box at one time. The deal was somewhat unique and I am not going to go into it...

Then I suppose you purchased them from Switzerland, like I did. Excellent deal. Two or three years later the price was …different… (and I don't need to sell 50K in cigars to remember that :P)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

Then I suppose you purchased them from Switzerland, like I did. Excellent deal. Two or three years later the price was …different… (and I don't need to sell 50K in cigars to remember that :P)

Those were some interesting times with some unique opportunities, yes?

Looking at some of those receipts, well lets just say, it makes me shed a tear!

Do you have a bead on what these sell for today? I am curious... I need a good laugh to loosen up my horse collar! Thanks... -R

I've been selling off my Lonsdales...  Bolivar, RG, ERDM; all beautiful boxes, but I just don't smoke them that much...  None are in production, so some will pay a premium...

Would rather put that money to use on sizes I am more regular with...

4 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I've been selling off my Lonsdales...  Bolivar, RG, ERDM; all beautiful boxes, but I just don't smoke them that much...  None are in production, so some will pay a premium...

While your taste and mine don't align, if I were not smoking these cigars and somebody wanted to buy me twice or thrice the stock of what I was smoking and liked in exchange, I would do the same thing you are doing.

There is a ass for every seat, as they say.

A lot of people would likely love to have what you are selling, and I am one of them! But I won't pay today's prices. I am happy smoking what I have.

Cheers! -R

2 minutes ago, PigFish said:

@BrightonCorgi

... and, since you are the seller today, what is the going price for the Boli GM, if you don't mind me asking?

I haven't sold or had any GM's in a long time, but I think $200 would be what I would ask.  I didn't like the re-release so I never invested in them.  I will only buy cigars that I like first over whether they'll be worth more down the road.

• Like 2

Just now, BrightonCorgi said:

I haven't sold or had any GM's in a long time, but I think $200 would be what I would ask.  I didn't like the re-release so I never invested in them.  I will only buy cigars that I like first over whether they'll be worth more down the road.

I am the same... I only buy what I like to smoke (at least at the time) with some exceptions. I mean I have never really liked fat cigars but when the Siglo 6 rolled out, I thought that I might like to try them, smoked a couple of boxes and saved the rest.... Most of us stray from the 'path' now and again, and sometimes our tastes change.

Thanks for the estimation, $20 a stick does not seem outrageous based on todays cigar prices. I thought they might be wildly stupid like $400 a box or something.

Cheers! -R

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PigFish said:

@BrightonCorgi

... and, since you are the seller today, what is the going price for the Boli GM, if you don't mind me asking? As stated, I need a good laugh this morning! Thanks, R

This has taken an interesting off topic turn, but I've seen GM going as fast as they're posted for around this--Lot 6 and 7 I believe.  Most assuredly a nice ROI considering they went for 1/3 or less of this 10 years ago.  

Edit: Maybe 1/5

Edited by zeedubbya
  • Like 1

The Noella jars will go the way of the Punch Royal Selections.  Some vendors use to give these away and now I'd pay $250+ for a good box! 

Don't take for granted what seems not so special today...  Habanos in special packaging like a jar has always been coveted once they are in short supply or gone. 

• Like 1

BGM regularly go for $350/box now (to answer one of the questions posted above).

Edit: I mean the post-Walters re-release ones from 2006 onward.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

... that is a fact my friend. I have one box left, and they are so tight they are extremely difficult to smoke, even for me. I pull one out now and again.

This is the only cigar that I have ever really experienced this tough a draw. But damn, the cigars are so good it is uncanny. I wish I had a 100 boxes of these. And yes, as you said, from the cursed years!

Brings back memories, aye? -R

Yes, they are certainly on the tighter side. Yet, I still have to have a truly plugged one. But tobacco quality and that particular blend are beyond any question.

Were having a discussion on this a while back, I guess it was with @NSXCIGAR, and we agreed, even at a hypothetical 50%-fail rate (as I just said, no complete failure so far, but I'd estimate perhaps a 20-25% with a subperforming draw in mine), and comparing that with today's production and pricing, you'd still buy them. That's not excusing poor QC of that time, but just keeping it in perspective - by that account, the price of a single current Cohiba 'Supster Robuster' would equate to still two to three well-drawing Upmann lonnies.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PigFish said:

I am the same... I only buy what I like to smoke (at least at the time) with some exceptions. I mean I have never really liked fat cigars but when the Siglo 6 rolled out, I thought that I might like to try them, smoked a couple of boxes and saved the rest.... Most of us stray from the 'path' now and again, and sometimes our tastes change.

Thanks for the estimation, $20 a stick does not seem outrageous based on todays cigar prices. I thought they might be wildly stupid like $400 a box or something.

Cheers! -R

I completely agree, over the years I've gotten rid of overpriced cigars that became "collectable" that I just didn't care about ..Siglo VI being one of them as well. I too got rid of a box of Cohiba Sublimes (04), kept one but I still don't like them. The only box I've ever sold that I actually cared about was the 1998 Fundadores, but the money was too good not to pass up (at a certain point I don't care that much). There's no doubt any jar that gets discontinued will become collectable, and I actually like the Noellas. 

I have one jar.  I'm anticipating that the cigar may need the full 5 years ok no problem.  However, the glass jar is kinda cheesy.  

Those porcelain jars...now that's a collectible. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BarryNY said:

Those porcelain jars...now that's a collectible. 

I keep a Montecristo 2000 jar on my desk... 

You just gave me the nudge, I think I'll have a cigar this morning!!!  Thanks.

desk_zps9kcvoiyw.jpg

• Like 1

And here I love lonsdales and can't seem to find enough of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here I love lonsdales and can't seem to find enough of them.

Easy to find - you just have to be prepared to pay $400+ a box.
  • Like 1

You are from France, so who knows what you are paying for GM's.... 

Over the last decade I sold 50K+ in cigars, so I'll stick to my experience over your opinion... 

You are talking prices from a flippers perspective I am sure smallclub is same as me and does not need to line the pockets of these type of people.

Much of my selling was because it was too easy or I did not see any value in smoking $100+ dollar cigars; would rather sell them.  I sold to build my collection.  Sell the show off cigars and buy regular stuff to smoke and enjoy.  Now all that "regular stuff" is pricey with 10-15 years age on it!

Granted I am under 100 boxes at current, so I am very small time compared to you all...  

That's cause you keep selling them all as per your other post. It's not a 100 dollar cigar your smoking if it cost you 8 it's still a 8 dollar cigar. I for one would rather smoke what I enjoy. If I get to a box after a few years and it's not too my taste I will give away the rest normally to fellow smokers so they can try.

• Like 1

Good point. I guess I should have mentioned I can't find them for a reasonable price lol.

:)

A trip to Spain would probably yield some at the old price.

All my Lonsdales are soon to be and hopefully gone very soon at  just under $20 each.  Doesn't make sense for me to smoke $20 cigars; save that for the rich folks...  

I know may not get the opportunity to smoke them again so easily, but I went through so many boxes of them the last decade; I'm fine with that.

I went through this same cycle a while back selling off Cuban Davidoff's.  Will soon do the same with some Regional's.

3 minutes ago, SaintMickey® said:

7 days later....
Even though antibiotics and steroids are messing with my taste I can confirm not my smell. These smelled out of this world when I opened glass jar...just wow. Must be because the glass holds it in so much better.

They are way darker than I thought they would be. Just lovely.
Very happy with this purchase...final evaluation one day when I smoke one.

That looks beautiful!! Very quick shipping too. 

Keen to hear what your thoughts are when you try one.

Happy smoking.

Luca

• Like 1