Custom Rolls/Custom Blends from Cuba-Flavor Profile(s)?

I've found that, being limited by what tobacco is available at the time, there is zero blend consistency among these folks from one month to the next...sometimes even one week to the next. Even Monsdales, when they actually WERE Monsdales, varied over time. And Mons had supply connections at the highest level. The only aspect that is consistent seems to be quality of construction. 

Thanks. Makes me wonder then for a custom or production cigar no one would pick "high quality of construction" over a consistent blend/flavor. Unless it's more about the experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hutch said:

I can only speak for myself, but I enjoy customs from several rollers, not because I know just what they are going to taste like, but rather for the opposite reason. I'm usually certain that they will be well made and NOT taste like regular production. My very favorite roller passed away a while back, but I enjoyed every single cigar of his that I smoked.

IMG_0088.JPG

So even though it might have changed they always managed to have a quality smoke. I am sure that is the only way they stay successful and renowned. Only makes sense but what might keep me from buying.

Great photo.

Definitely a lot of variation based upon available tobacco - last couple years especially.

That said, construction is often top notch, and my favorite type of custom roll is loaded with barnyard/horseshit and I can't seem to reliably find that in any reg production marca.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is a lot of interesting stuff here guys thanks! So it seems that the only consistent thing about custom rolls/blends is the top notch roll, can anyone comment on flavors found in some of these rolls? Im curious if there is any consistency in flavor from one roller to the next compared to mass produced marca's IE hoyo cream or cohiba grassiness

3 minutes ago, strikethebox7 said:

There is a lot of interesting stuff here guys thanks! So it seems that the only consistent thing about custom rolls/blends is the top notch roll, can anyone comment on flavors found in some of these rolls? Im curious if there is any consistency in flavor from one roller to the next compared to mass produced marca's IE hoyo cream or cohiba grassiness

Agreed. That's what I'm trying to find out:rotfl:

• Like 1

Marquee rollers (some) will have their special way of doing things. 

Hamlet would like his Salomones to be consistent in taste. He would alter the leaf blend to achieve it. You will find a half leaf of ligero in the back third...sometimes a little less dependent on the tobacco received (qualities, strengths). 

All tobacco to rollers is provided by the state enterprise to the house. Some rollers in conjunction with their managers have supposed better relationships than others. Many people doubt this but it is Cuba and if there is coin to be made, a way will be found. 

Generally, from what I have seen over the years, all marquee rollers are provided with high quality leaf. 

• Like 4

As many have commented, due to a lack of consistent materials week to week I imagine trying to identify a rollers traditional flavour profile would be hit and miss at best
My advice would be to ask the roller in person the general profile on the day you walk into the store and try one from each roller before buying a bundle or two

I've sampled a number of custom/house rolls over the years and am yet to be disappointed by them.
The main appeal of house (in my experience) is that they don't often compare to many of the regular production flavour profiles currently on the market
If you're hoping to get some house rolls that taste like a Ramon Allones or Por Larranaga, I don't know why you wouldn't just buy RA or PL from our host

That being said, I do have some Salamons that are meant to be RA and PL blends but I can comment on how accurate that description is as I'm yet to light one

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

Love to hear more about this!

Barnyard and sugar cane upon receipt and I know I'm in for a treat!

13 hours ago, strikethebox7 said:

I've gotten 3 different bundles of Carlos Fernandez rolls across 2 years (2013-2015). 2 were Sublimes (2013 and 2015) that supposedly had Medio Tiempo leaves blended in. Both bundles had my barnyard and sugar cane as well as a creamy, custardy element that suggested the presence of Medio Tiempo. The 3rd bundle are some super lanceros, measuring about 8.5 x 40 and they taste straightup like a never-ending CoLa.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2017 at 1:04 PM, SaintMickey® said:

Thanks. Makes me wonder then for a custom or production cigar no one would pick "high quality of construction" over a consistent blend/flavor. Unless it's more about the experience?

I enjoy the perfect construction & style very much, it really makes me appreciate the art of cigar rolling.  Customs generally have (or should have) gorgeous wrappers...  Big honker cigars should be on the lighter flavor profile.   You want 2.5+ hour cigar, it can't be all ligero...

4 hours ago, bundwallah said:

I also have rolls from less well known rollers who came up to Toronto's LCDH. Arnaldo Alfonso (great old guy, tasty cigars). Reinier Barroto. ({Partagas Factory roller IIRC?)

Do you think travelling rollers are better ramped up with good tobacco than a BAU day working in Havana?  I'd think have premium tobacco's is a prerequisite for a tour. 

25 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Do you think travelling rollers are better ramped up with good tobacco than a BAU day working in Havana?  I'd think have premium tobacco's is a prerequisite for a tour. 

I couldn't tell you with any certainty.  From chatting with Hamlet, the tobacco for the tour rollers is just general stuff from a random factory.  He told us he was able to personally source the tobacco he wanted to take on tour and get it shipped.  In his mind, if his name was associated with that roll, he wanted to be able to pick the raw tobaccos. 

• Like 2

A Reynaldo pc (almost a corona) and a Yolanda corona.  

The former is rustic and earthy with some old school partagas flavors.  The latter is creamier and woodsier with some leather.  

I am smoking the Reynaldo as I write this.  ( he claims he ages them 5 years)

Steven

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

So they do have some on hand that are not pre ordered? I have a friend going in may on a cruise. It was a surprise change in her cruise itinerary. I was going to ask her to hit some LCDH and get a few boxes...but on further thought it makes more sense to get some customs. Ive never had any and always wanted the opportunity. 

If they have stock on hand is it typically just singles or do they have bundles? What could I expect to spend for a bundle of 109s or churchills?