Custom Rolls/Custom Blends from Cuba-Flavor Profile(s)?

Always wanted to try a custom rolled . What an experience it would be to see a roller doing his/her thing right in front of u ! Man that would be something ! Do these guys listed post cigars or what ?! might have to book a trip otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

So they do have some on hand that are not pre ordered? I have a friend going in may on a cruise. It was a surprise change in her cruise itinerary. I was going to ask her to hit some LCDH and get a few boxes...but on further thought it makes more sense to get some customs. Ive never had any and always wanted the opportunity. 

If they have stock on hand is it typically just singles or do they have bundles? What could I expect to spend for a bundle of 109s or churchills?

Yeah, they do.  Around the Habanos Festival, custom rolls and the bandwidth for custom orders will all be well spoken for.  But other than that, you shouldn't have a problem getting any on a first visit any other time/s of the year.  109's on the other hand would have to be custom-ordered, most likely after getting to know the roller even, as it's not a common vitola rolled. More of the common ones you'll find would be robusto, canonazao, lancero, churchill (julieta no.1), and these days the thicker rg elephante or likes there of.

• Like 1

Guest gorob23
On 1/29/2017 at 10:40 AM, Hutch said:

My very favorite roller passed away a while back, but I enjoyed every single cigar of his that I smoked.

IMG_0088.JPG

you speak for more than yourself! May he rest in peace...

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2017 at 6:57 PM, danny said:

There are days that you are going to get some subpar wrappers and others fantastic wrappers.  Just depends on when you catch them.  If you're there for a short trip, you'll probably end up buying whatever they have available; they're not going to stop rolling completely because the tobacco isn't the best.  As someone said, theres money to be made.  But if you do have the time to stop by another day, the rollers will tell you to come back and to pass on current stock.  Different times of the year, events, and overall amount of traffic/buyers can make sourcing great tobacco a bit tough, let alone keeping any stock to begin with.  But regardless, I've found that the flavors from each "Roller's" cigars are quite consistent from batch-to-batch.  Of course you have consider the fact that you might be smoking various vitolas, of various ages, and other variables.  But even with that, I can reach for any one of the customs I have an know what to expect and have yet to be suprised.

I guess to each his own.  Anyways, here's what comes to mind as far as profile/flavors go:

Yolanda - Creamy, smooth, and balanced.  Think a lighter version of a Siglo VI, without to much grassiness   Maybe half the ligero of a cigar that already has half ligero.  Solid Medium to me.  Favorite vitola would be the Canonazo (Siglo VI) over the Piramide, personally.  The custom shagfoot bundle I was able to get was even better.

Alex - I found these to be gearing up more towards the Medium to Medium-Full range.  Deeper, more complex flavors.  Great construction (as I've found with most rollers in Havana anyways)  Favorite so far would be the Robusto or Robustos Supremos w/ shagfoot (also special ordered)

Jorge -  In the case of the Monsdales, is where I've noticed the wrapper quality issue the most.  My 1st bundle had green spots while the most recent bundle are a beautiful maduro color.  BUT, I found that the flavor profile was consistent, even though they were years apart (of course taking into consideration the age of the cigars).  There was a slight edge in preference for the better looking cigars, but that could be just in my mind.  Flavor-wise, I would say their medium-full with more of a kick than Alex's.  A very flavorful and unique blend, with a size I absolute love.  You need to smoke this one nice and slow or you'll find it getting too hot and altering the profile.  Age on these also does them wonders (unless you're able to smoke them within the month they were rolled for profile that cannot be replicated once past that point; love them fresh!) 

Reynaldo -  Had some of his famous, extra long lanceros of his of course.  This cigars is what comes to mind when I think "Cuban Custom Roll".  It has that "custom", rugged, hand-rolled, flavor profile.  Something that you could imagine a roller rolling for himself to smoke.  Medium-full (Full for a lancero), with a extra kick that makes up for the RG.  Another one you need to smoke slowly to be rewarded. Very unique profile younger.  Personally, I liked this cigar better with the edge slightly taken off.  Think Juan Lopez characteristics with 6 months vs. 18-24

My very long 2-cents.  Either way, I've always been a fan of customs.  And like another brother had mentioned, if they tasted or were meant to taste like another cigar, I'd rather buy the banded version instead.  

Thank you for such a good description!  VERY helpful!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Was in the Conde de Villenueva where you find Reynaldo's), last week, and they "didn't have any custom rolls". The small singles humidor was closed up. The purveyor knows me from previous multiple-a-day visits, and just smiled and said sorry, but the upcoming festival is taking up all stock. So the moral of the story is; go there when one of the 2 big cigar festivals aren't a month or less away.

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2017 at 9:57 PM, danny said:

There are days that you are going to get some subpar wrappers and others fantastic wrappers.  Just depends on when you catch them.  If you're there for a short trip, you'll probably end up buying whatever they have available; they're not going to stop rolling completely because the tobacco isn't the best.  As someone said, theres money to be made.  But if you do have the time to stop by another day, the rollers will tell you to come back and to pass on current stock.  Different times of the year, events, and overall amount of traffic/buyers can make sourcing great tobacco a bit tough, let alone keeping any stock to begin with.  But regardless, I've found that the flavors from each "Roller's" cigars are quite consistent from batch-to-batch.  Of course you have consider the fact that you might be smoking various vitolas, of various ages, and other variables.  But even with that, I can reach for any one of the customs I have an know what to expect and have yet to be suprised.

I guess to each his own.  Anyways, here's what comes to mind as far as profile/flavors go:

Yolanda - Creamy, smooth, and balanced.  Think a lighter version of a Siglo VI, without to much grassiness   Maybe half the ligero of a cigar that already has half ligero.  Solid Medium to me.  Favorite vitola would be the Canonazo (Siglo VI) over the Piramide, personally.  The custom shagfoot bundle I was able to get was even better.

Alex - I found these to be gearing up more towards the Medium to Medium-Full range.  Deeper, more complex flavors.  Great construction (as I've found with most rollers in Havana anyways)  Favorite so far would be the Robusto or Robustos Supremos w/ shagfoot (also special ordered)

Jorge -  In the case of the Monsdales, is where I've noticed the wrapper quality issue the most.  My 1st bundle had green spots while the most recent bundle are a beautiful maduro color.  BUT, I found that the flavor profile was consistent, even though they were years apart (of course taking into consideration the age of the cigars).  There was a slight edge in preference for the better looking cigars, but that could be just in my mind.  Flavor-wise, I would say their medium-full with more of a kick than Alex's.  A very flavorful and unique blend, with a size I absolute love.  You need to smoke this one nice and slow or you'll find it getting too hot and altering the profile.  Age on these also does them wonders (unless you're able to smoke them within the month they were rolled for profile that cannot be replicated once past that point; love them fresh!) 

Reynaldo -  Had some of his famous, extra long lanceros of his of course.  This cigars is what comes to mind when I think "Cuban Custom Roll".  It has that "custom", rugged, hand-rolled, flavor profile.  Something that you could imagine a roller rolling for himself to smoke.  Medium-full (Full for a lancero), with a extra kick that makes up for the RG.  Another one you need to smoke slowly to be rewarded. Very unique profile younger.  Personally, I liked this cigar better with the edge slightly taken off.  Think Juan Lopez characteristics with 6 months vs. 18-24

My very long 2-cents.  Either way, I've always been a fan of customs.  And like another brother had mentioned, if they tasted or were meant to taste like another cigar, I'd rather buy the banded version instead.  

That all sound yummy to me! ?