What else wrecks your ability to enjoy a cigar? Antibiotics, Steroids...

Not sure if "taste buds" is the right term for what we use to enjoy a cigars flavors but I am 101% sure that either the antibiotics or prednisone steroid I'm on have made me incapable of tasting flavor.

I had the worst cigar I have ever had in my life last night...well 1/3 of one.  All I could taste was burnt tobacco zero flavor no matter how much I tried to work it out.

Thought it might be the steroids. Just curious what else we need to avoid as not to waste a good cigar...? I even had a sip of wine...nothing.

olfaction-chart-our-sense-of-smell-taste.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nagging wife has the same effect Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

IPA's... would rather drink water if the only other option

My wife loves the smell of my cigars, says it's sexy. Work on the other hand. That's what gets in my way of total enjoyment.

I'm a bit under the weather now myself.  Not on antibiotics or anything but I can't taste anything.  Not...a...thing...

I've taken meds that messed with my tastes while smoking but even just having a cold or flu is enough for me to stop smoking because I can't taste anything.

Not just you my friend.

• Like 2

A nagging wife has the same effect

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar, change your wife.

-zino davidoff

I feel for you though. My gf is the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Well - the impossible happened with me last month and that's that I - yes - got a ROOT CANAL!!!  I'm still in a surreal state of reality in that I can't believe I let myself get one...but to save time on that; I've had to take antibiotics in the aftermath of it, and I've suffered no interference with the flavor and taste of my cigars. The primary thing that screws up my enjoyment of my smokes as far as interference with flavor is either over or under humidification. Mainly, if my cigar is too dry there's no enjoyment or real taste or aroma.  And vice-versa on its being too moist with humidity. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SloppyJ said:

I'm on prednisone right now too. No real taste issues. But I'm meaner than a caged coon. 

My family is none to happy with me right now. Actually I think the dogs are barely putting up with me...and that's hard to do, make a dog dislike you.

No cigars, little bourbon or wine...Why am I still awake?

• Like 1

Nagging better half and barking dog can put a wrench into enjoying a cigar.  On serious note, I'll go through the motions of smoking and not tasting a cigar if I want a cigar...  Just not going to smoke one my fancier ones...

2 minutes ago, mjc92 said:

Subzero weather

This plus a health insurance policy in which I can randomly be subjected to a urine screen for nicotine...so let's just say my smoking is scheduled around days in which I'm not back to work and have to worry about being test for 72 hours. 

• Like 1

This plus a health insurance policy in which I can randomly be subjected to a urine screen for nicotine...so let's just say my smoking is scheduled around days in which I'm not back to work and have to worry about being test for 72 hours. 

Don't like this "big brother" bs from insurance companies! I feel you brother.

Mosquito coils!!! I HATE THEM!!! My friend always insists on having them when we have a cigar outside. It ruins my sense of small and taste!! Makes a cigar not very enjoyable at all. I keep telling him that the cigar will keep the bugs away. Never learns...