What else wrecks your ability to enjoy a cigar? Antibiotics, Steroids...

2 hours ago, PigFish said:

Statist, nanny state infringements on personal liberty!

-the Pig

You must be living in a bunker, Piggy.  Don't you live in #calexit?  Do you fear for your life out there with that sort of attitude?  Fight the good fight, my friend. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nagging wife has the same effect Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

IPA's... would rather drink water if the only other option

My wife loves the smell of my cigars, says it's sexy. Work on the other hand. That's what gets in my way of total enjoyment.

15 minutes ago, TheLiquidGator said:

Toothpaste. It takes hours before I can totally get the taste of toothpaste off my palate. Even the slightest taste of toothpaste ruins my palate completely. I brush my teeth often so I have to plan and pick my spots.

Made the mistake of drinking orange juice after brushing my teeth, once.....just once.  I swear I thought I was going to die.

• Like 1

I experienced the same thing using both prednisone and antibiotics a few years back.. Prednisone  really did a number on me and now I realize that I can't take all kinds of antibiotics.  My mouth and pallet will get a burn.  It has gotten better over time but I still feel it.  There was a time when i also thought everything  i smoked  tasted bad.  I actually stopped smoking stogies for about 6 months.  My taste is back but still get the burning mouth which comes and goes.  I won't take prednisone anymore and Im reluctant to take antibiotics unless I have to.  I was also using air purifiers that had ozone generators which I feel also had something to do with it.  Good luck my friend, like I said over time my situation has gotten better and I am back to at least enjoying the taste of a good cigar but the burning mouth can get annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stogieluver said:

You must be living in a bunker, Piggy.  Don't you live in #calexit?  Do you fear for your life out there with that sort of attitude?  Fight the good fight, my friend. 

ssshhhh! Isla PigFish, a bastion of freedom, small but sovereign.

(Place political comments here!!!) -LOL

-the Pig

• Like 1

When I was a young buck chasing women, I would often avoid cigars before a big date. I didn't want the smoke smell on clothing, body, or breath since many young women didn't like it. And then it hit me, - start dating strippers. A lot of them were smokers and didn't care. A few of them were actually turned on by it, for some strange reason I never figured out. - So, that cigar problem was solved.

Of course, that choice created a whole lot of new & unrelated problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2017 at 1:50 PM, SaintMickey® said:

Not sure if "taste buds" is the right term for what we use to enjoy a cigars flavors but I am 101% sure that either the antibiotics or prednisone steroid I'm on have made me incapable of tasting flavor.

I had the worst cigar I have ever had in my life last night...well 1/3 of one.  All I could taste was burnt tobacco zero flavor no matter how much I tried to work it out.

Thought it might be the steroids. Just curious what else we need to avoid as not to waste a good cigar...? I even had a sip of wine...nothing.

olfaction-chart-our-sense-of-smell-taste.jpg

I hear you man.  Just finished second round of antibiotics for a now month long sinus infection.  Still on an intranasal steroid.  Tried to smoke a cigar a few times. None of them were enjoyable and probably made my situation worse.  Like I have read here, just wait till I'm clear of it and rest up. Cigars will only get better with time.  Just hard to wait it out.  

18 hours ago, mjc92 said:

Don't like this "big brother" bs from insurance companies! I feel you brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of lame health insurance policy does this? 

16 hours ago, JR Kipling said:

When I was a young buck chasing women, I would often avoid cigars before a big date. I didn't want the smoke smell on clothing, body, or breath since many young women didn't like it. And then it hit me, - start dating strippers. A lot of them were smokers and didn't care. A few of them were actually turned on by it, for some strange reason I never figured out. - So, that cigar problem was solved.

Of course, that choice created a whole lot of new & unrelated problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I let the cat out of bag early that I smoke cigars so I don't have to walk on eggshells later.  Ya, sure, I just want to get laid I can play the role, but eventually the truth needs come out and I am not acquiescing cigars for no chick...  My better half has her boxes in our cabinet :wub:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I had a candida infection in my gut that lasted about 6 months until I killed it off (which the hexheimer reaction from the die off was as bad as the actual infection and lasted about 7 weeks) which killed my palette until about July. I still smoked cigars but most were not exciting and some I couldn’t pick anything off of. My gut still isn’t 100% but is doing really good, but I’ll still have a few days where my gut gets a little funky and my palette disappears with it. 

1 hour ago, Chris P. Bacon said:

COVID-19

I contracted COVID-19 a week ago and lost my sense of smell and taste on Nov. 2nd. From what I've read, it may be 2 to 4 weeks before it's regained. ??

Hope you’re doing good man! 

On 1/31/2017 at 7:27 PM, TheLiquidGator said:

Toothpaste. It takes hours before I can totally get the taste of toothpaste off my palate. Even the slightest taste of toothpaste ruins my palate completely. I brush my teeth often so I have to plan and pick my spots.

It's even worse if you brush with dental powder (baking soda). You won't taste anything within a certain pH range for days.

On 1/31/2017 at 7:44 PM, scap99 said:

Made the mistake of drinking orange juice after brushing my teeth, once.....just once.  I swear I thought I was going to die.

Sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate. It blocks the 'sweet receptors'. Why is it in toothpaste? Beats me. My best guess is that it's to give you the impression that all that sugar is gone from your mouth. That flavor was always in the oj. You just usually don't taste it because the sweetness tempers it.

1 hour ago, cfc1016 said:

It's even worse if you brush with dental powder (baking soda). You won't taste anything within a certain pH range for days.

Sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate. It blocks the 'sweet receptors'. Why is it in toothpaste? Beats me. My best guess is that it's to give you the impression that all that sugar is gone from your mouth. That flavor was always in the oj. You just usually don't taste it because the sweetness tempers it.

Is this actually a new post?

I swear this response was posted before today....unless I am having an epic deja vu

1 hour ago, scap99 said:

Is this actually a new post?

I swear this response was posted before today....unless I am having an epic deja vu

I mean... I'm not presenting any information that wasn't already openly available to anyone who looked for it.

I have also commented on the SLS/OJ phenomenon before, in another thread, if that's what you're referring to?

3 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

I mean... I'm not presenting any information that wasn't already openly available to anyone who looked for it.

I have also commented on the SLS/OJ phenomenon before, in another thread, if that's what you're referring to?

Maybe so.  I swear I remember you posting that reply to my OJ and toothpaste comment though....maybe I had too much to drink last night.

What day is tomorrow? ?

1 hour ago, scap99 said:

Maybe so.  I swear I remember you posting that reply to my OJ and toothpaste comment though....maybe I had too much to drink last night.

What day is tomorrow? ?

If you care enough to pore over my comment history, I'm sure you'll find it in there somewhere

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

I had a candida infection in my gut that lasted about 6 months until I killed it off (which the hexheimer reaction from the die off was as bad as the actual infection and lasted about 7 weeks) which killed my palette until about July. I still smoked cigars but most were not exciting and some I couldn’t pick anything off of. My gut still isn’t 100% but is doing really good, but I’ll still have a few days where my gut gets a little funky and my palette disappears with it. 

Googled your condition... guess those visions are burned into my brain forever!

Glad to hear you are doing better!

• Thanks 1