Partagas Serie P No. 2

Hello FOH -

I'm looking to hear your experiences with this cigar.  I don't see much written about it.

I have a box that I bought blind (ETP 15) that is really a mixed bag.  The construction seems good, but the wrappers are absolutely terrible - papery and brittle.  The flavors are not offensive, but not particularly grand.  But I sense that this could be a really excellent cigar with the right batch of leaf.  

What are the good ones like, and how do you find 'em?  

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I've got '08 or '09 tubes of the P2, and they are rather spicy and peppery, so not my favorite in the Partagas marca. The tubes may affect the way these age, and I honestly have not smoked one in well over a year I would say, but I don't recall the wrapper being brittle or papery as you describe.

Are they well acclimated?

I've had two and I thought they were quite nice.  Have a 10ct box dated '14 that I have yet to get in to and I'm guessing they'll be the same.  I do like Partagas' profiles while some just don't get along with it.  Haven't seen enough to be able to soeak to construction or issues thereof.  

8 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

I've got '08 or '09 tubes of the P2, and they are rather spicy and peppery, so not my favorite in the Partagas marca. The tubes may affect the way these age, and I honestly have not smoked one in well over a year I would say, but I don't recall the wrapper being brittle or papery as you describe.

Mine have been in the humidor for at least a month.  If anything, the flavor is a bit mild and muddled.  There's nothing particularly spicy about them.  I've seen some recent boxes with TOS codes... wondering if they are as good as the recent Diplomaticos 2 with that code.

• Like 1

They do seem to get a bad rap, but I've really enjoyed the handful I've had. One was a tubo and I'm almost done with a 10'er from 14. Factory code escapes me now, but I want to say ULA.  

Last one I had was a rich enveloping smoke, what I take as solid Partagas flavor. Wrappers are just fine on mine. I have an ETP box hanging out for now. Hope they turn out ok. 

I absolutely love this cigar have a few boxes from 06/07 lots of wonderful spice honey and pepper and wood just amazing even over 10 years they still pack some punch!!! not familiar with year 2015 but maybe a few duds ? wait another 6 months if necessary what humidity are you storing them at??

I just rec'd a 10 box, ETP 8/15. I smoked one ROTT because it had a mangled foot, and it was just OK. I can second your thoughts on the wrappers, mine are pretty pale. Taste-wise, I was a bit disappointed as they were pretty mild and had a very light body. A mouthful of smoke didn't really feel like a mouthful of smoke. That

I'm going to reserve judgment until they have some time to acclimate, but thinking I might not go blind on these again. I love 10 boxes, but I may as well just save a bit and get some 25s of Upmann or Diplos, as I've only had good experiences with those.

It might not be the P2...?

I have a box of PSd4 from our host beautiful looking box from back in December AMO DIC 15 that I just find have zero flavor, mild, light.  I have never had any luck whatsoever with Partagas (GASP! I KNOW)  

I'm sure its me and not you. So odd really everyone loves them some Partagas...

its_not_you_its_me_heart_candy.jpg

I have sampled the P2 every few years since its inception from various reputable sources, including a ULA 14 PSP 10 box from Rob, and I can say with confidence I've never had a good one. This cigar is probably one of the few I've given up on. 

As noted by mwaller, mild and muddled is the name of the game. Of the ones that weren't complete disasters, a very faint PSD spice was present, but that was about it, and far from enough to carry the cigar. Best one I've had I'd rate maybe an 88. 

I'd agree with Fugu about consistency, but good P2s are so rare that it's not the same as, say, Monte 2 consistency where it's hit-and-miss and picking good boxes helps. Very few hits with the P2. The chances of getting a good stick, let alone a good box, are very low in my opinion. A cigar I just won't waste my money on. I'd stick with the D & E series and the VR Unicos if you're really jonesing for a Pyramide that's reliable.

I will say that it appears the P2 had a bit of a golden period in 08-09, so perhaps that's the vintage to grab if they pop up. Rob & Ken's video review is of a TEB MAR 08, but then again, that's the legendary TEB code that was cranking out pure gold for many cigars then. They raved about its richness, and that's just a word that I've never associated with a P2.

9 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

I just checked now that I'm home, my P2s are TEB MAY 08. 

I've always enjoyed the P2s I have had although I understand why they may divide opinion. I don't find them as satisfying as a good Diplomatico 2 or Upmann 2.

lots of divided opinions here the boxes Ive had 2005/06/07/08 have all been really good for me cant say about 2009 to present though never had one but after 10 years they were really good to me

I recently bought a box in January. I think the box date was AUG16. They were all constructed pretty well. Only had one with a tight draw. The wrappers were pretty inconsistent though. One was like 80 Grit sand paper!! Others - very veiny. Combustion was good overall. But flavorwise - mild and yes...muddled.

On February 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM, mwaller said:

The construction seems good, but the wrappers are absolutely terrible - papery and brittle.  The flavors are not offensive, but not particularly grand.  But I sense that this could be a really excellent cigar with the right batch of leaf.

This has been every experience I've had with the P2. Much better Partagas out there.

On 01/02/2017 at 6:06 PM, mwaller said:

Hello FOH -

I'm looking to hear your experiences with this cigar.  I don't see much written about it.

I have a box that I bought blind (ETP 15) that is really a mixed bag.  The construction seems good, but the wrappers are absolutely terrible - papery and brittle.  The flavors are not offensive, but not particularly grand.  But I sense that this could be a really excellent cigar with the right batch of leaf.  

What are the good ones like, and how do you find 'em?  

Thanks! 

What humidity/temperature are you storing them at?