Sancho Panza Belicos from 07 / 08

31 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I had a box from '07 that was really tasty.  Not as salty & distinctive as some old boxes, but good none the less.  I would buy again.  Finished box too quickly...

Did you smoke these recently, or several years ago? Thanks!

Just now, mwaller said:

Did you smoke these recently, or several years ago? Thanks!

Back in '07 era...  They were fresh/current production cigars.  Another thing is I have never had a poorly rolled SP Belicoso and have gone through several boxes.

20 minutes ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

I have a PSP box from Rob - TSP JUL 08.  I havn't sampled yet from it but I'm hoping to try one soon.  I'll report back with what I find.

Very cool. Was this a "vintage box" or did you purchase when they were still fresh?

16 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Very cool. Was this a "vintage box" or did you purchase when they were still fresh?

No, I bought these fresh, I believe from one of Rob's original LFTH chains.  Back before they shut down the server LOL.  I had them stored in my locker from purchase, and brought them home a year or two ago.

Until recently I had been storing full boxes on the assumption that 10 years aging was good for all cigars.....but recently I've started sampling from boxes, once a year from age 5-10, to see if there is a sweet spot in age for each of the different brands/vitolas, to my taste.  These Belis are 8 1/2 years old - I should probably bloody try one haha.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

No, I bought these fresh, I believe from one of Rob's original LFTH chains.  Back before they shut down the server LOL.  I had them stored in my locker from purchase, and brought them home a year or two ago.

Until recently I had been storing full boxes on the assumption that 10 years aging was good for all cigars.....but recently I've started sampling from boxes, once a year from age 5-10, to see if there is a sweet spot in age for each of the different brands/vitolas, to my taste.  These Belis are 8 1/2 years old - I should probably bloody try one haha.

By all means!  Let us know how they are!

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/04/2017 at 8:59 PM, FCUBUCK said:

How do these compare to the discontinued Molinos?  Love the Molinos.

Don't expect to find in the Belicoso anything similar to the Molinos which had a more pronounced "personality". The Beli isn't really complex nor evolutive like the Molinos was. That said the Belicoso is a very nice light/medium cigar.

• Like 2

The older ones ('01 back) had a saltiness that the newer production SP Belicoso don't share or it's faint (need to try a newer than '07 box).  The old ones, you see flecks of mineral content of something still on the leaf.  Unusual.  I wonder if it's a particular farm or technique that is or was particular to the cigar.  I don't find that saltiness in any other marca.

I bought the Molinos because I have a thing about lonsdales. I love them. I have never had any interest in Sancho Panza at all until then. If the belis are of interest, perhaps next time away or in a store, might try one. Thanks!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

I bought the Molinos because I have a thing about lonsdales. I love them. I have never had any interest in Sancho Panza at all until then. If the belis are of interest, perhaps next time away or in a store, might try 

8 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

I bought the Molinos because I have a thing about lonsdales. I love them. I have never had any interest in Sancho Panza at all until then. If the belis are of interest, perhaps next time away or in a store, might try one. Thanks!

My only experience with SP is the Molinos.  I wish I could find more of them.  The box Rob hooked me up with are just fantastic.  I was really hoping the beli would scratch that itch but it doesn't sound like they will do that.  Doesn't it figure the box that really does it for you is discontinued.  Lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cmelle said:

Any update on the Belis from GAS 07 @mwaller or @ChanceSchmerr? Tried one yet? I would love to hear it. 

The one I smoked recently from my PSP '08 box was plugged, so although the flavours I got were pleasant, the experience overall was unpleasant.  I'll let you know when I smoke one from that box that isn't plugged....

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 7:32 AM, Cmelle said:

Any update on the Belis from GAS 07 @mwaller or @ChanceSchmerr? Tried one yet? I would love to hear it. 

So, I decided to dip into to my GAS 07 box.  For my first experience, I selected an attractive, slightly oily example.  From the first light, the cigar delivered.  It opened with a nutty, creamy character with a hint of saltiness on the lips and a bit of spice at the back of the throat.  The tannins are silky and slightly chewy - very nice.  A few hints of milk coffee and chocolate crept in at the end of the first third.  At the halfway mark, the flavors took on a more roasted character, though never overpowering.  At the beginning of the final third, there were a few unexpected caramel notes.  A very nice experience,  despite minimal down time after shipment.  

IMG_20170301_231416791.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mwaller said:

So, I decided to dip into to my GAS 07 box.  For my first experience, I selected an attractive, slightly oily example.  From the first light, the cigar delivered.  It opened with a nutty, creamy character with a hint of saltiness on the lips and a bit of spice at the back of the throat.  The tannins are silky and slightly chewy - very nice.  A few hints of milk coffee and chocolate crept in at the end of the first third.  At the halfway mark, the flavors took on a more roasted character, though never overpowering.  At the beginning of the final third, there were a few unexpected caramel notes.  A very nice experience,  despite minimal down time after shipment.  

IMG_20170301_231416791.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the share :ok: