2001 Cohiba Lanceros--cardboard packs

I bought a 5x5 of these a month ago.  They were in rough shape.  I sent them back but was out $40 for shipping both ways.  I was not happy that the vendor did not disclose that the were from 2001.  Had I known that I would not have purchased in the first place.  I have no interest in discount 2001 stock.

I believe recent Lanceros are better than 2001 Lanceros.  2001 Lanceros were one of my first ever major box purchases.  The few I've had recently have been far superior to what I had back then.  I bought the box because someone gifted me a 1994 Lanceros and I thought it was the best cigar ever.  I still have a few leftover from the purchase, and should smoke one and see what they are like now. They were nothing like the 1994 at all.  

I'm confident if it was my decision I would try to find a 25 box of them from 2014-2016 instead of 2001s.  My opinion is even if you get good ones the newer production are still better.  I am not an expert--just my 2 cents.   

• Like 1

Well, there's been some positive feedback on the 01 packs here, and if the boxes are sealed, and you can confirm they're El Laguito, it's not a totally foolish proposition. I'd agree with Rob on the 70% chance of disappointment, however. 50/50 at best. So as long as you're OK with that, what the hell. And if they're great, well, you have yourself a great deal on additional purchases as it seems the vendor is fairly well stocked on these.

Personally, if I really had a hankering for some good Lanceros, I'd look for recent production (MUO/AMO) and let them sit for a couple of years. While 01 does have some positive feedback, I really don't think they're going to be superior to recent production with a few years of age. We're not talking about 1996 Lanceros here. There was nothing produced in 01 that hasn't been matched in quality at some point in the last 15 years, and by all accounts 13-15 Lanceros are smoking beautifully now. 

01 plpc and SLR dc cabs are the best of the last 16 years imho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

On a side note, in my opinion most of the people buying the 2001 Cohiba Lanceros are flippers and those looking for good trade bait. I doubt many are actually buying them to smoke. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Charltonc said:

01 plpc and SLR dc cabs are the best of the last 16 years imho.

That may very well be true, but good luck finding either! I've noticed PLPC with decent age are harder to find than they should be for a cigar that's produced in decent quantities. They just age so darn well I think the secret's out. And of course SLR DC is always scarce. But thanks for the insight for anyone looking to buy at auction.

4 hours ago, dangolf18 said:

On a side note, in my opinion most of the people buying the 2001 Cohiba Lanceros are flippers and those looking for good trade bait. I doubt many are actually buying them to smoke. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. 

Great point, and certainly very possible.

As bad as the '01 era was, there was still plenty of incredible boxes as well.  Not every roller in Cuba was inexperienced...  All of the good stuff is long gone.   All the good boxes were done smoked by '07.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

As bad as the '01 era was, there was still plenty of incredible boxes as well.  Not every roller in Cuba was inexperienced...  All of the good stuff is long gone.   All the good boxes were done smoked by '07.

I disagree. You can still get lucky like I did on a sealed box. 

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Wasn't only construction. I recall smoking a bunch of stuff from 2000-2002 that just tasted like wet cardboard. Monte 4, Hoyo Churchills, RyJ Ex 4 off the top of my head.

Some good stuff out there, but it's really case-by-case. And yes, most of anything good was scooped up more than 10 years ago. 

• 2 months later...

There were very good Lanceros from '01. I got  a box on the recommendation of a friend, CLE, I think. I enjoyed every one. That box kind of made up for a few others that were terrible.'01 H Upman Monarchs come to mind. I wouldn't by anything that was in cardboard for 16 years, but that's just me. Besides, there is a lot of great stuff around. If one is willing to put up $400 or more for 25 cigars a very good box should be available.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, dangolf18 said:

I disagree. You can still get lucky like I did on a sealed box. 

I would never buy a sealed box!  I want to know what I am getting before I pay for it.

• Like 1

I would never buy a sealed box!  I want to know what I am getting before I pay for it.

Well if the box is opened and it hasn't sold for 16 years....there might be a reason why it hasn't sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk