Quai D'Orsay Belicoso Royal RE Francia

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 5" x 52

Box Code: ULA NOV 13

Box Number: 1643/2000

Purchased: November 2016; A la Civette; Paris, FR

I picked up a single on my first day in Paris last fall, and smoked it while lounging on the steps outside of Shakespeare and Co. with a coffee and a tattered old copy of "A Movable Feast." It was one of the most enjoyable smoking experiences I've had in a long while. This belicoso was so remarkable, I had to stop by and pick up a box before we left.

After opening four boxes (most of which appeared over-humidified, some with significant mould), I found a good looking box. Toothy, earthy colorado wrappers with a bit of visible oil. Some variation in construction though. 20170211_114325.jpg 20170211_113442.jpg

20170211_114350.jpg

Pre-light: This particular single has a few cosmetic flaws, but the construction feels firm and consistent. The cold draw is easy and open, and produces a fresh, sweet tobacco and precise cinnamon note, almost like the aroma of a pipe blend. 

20170211_144437.jpg

First third: It takes flame readily; the draw is full, producing a good amount of cool smoke. A fine white ash follows. The combustion starts slightly uneven, but corrects itself early on. The initial flavor is full of nutmeg and cinnamon notes over a bready, brioche kind of base. My favorite aspect of this smoke might be the spicy cinnamon note that recurs in the aroma; I could linger around that days ...

20170211_150336.jpg

Second third: The sweet baking spice flavors dissipate a little, and a woody, earthy character develops. There's just a bare hint of something like peat moss in there that I can't quite put my finger on. The finish is a bit short, but never acrid. The burn requires a bit of a touch up, but I chalk that up to less-than-ideal circulation in my humidor than to any construction flaw.

20170211_152410.jpg

Final third: The sweet baking spices return, but sharper and more intense. They're something like clove and molasses now, and the aroma takes on a more pungent, leathery profile. But that sweetness is still there - definitely my favorite part. Smokes cool well past the band; hard to put down!

20170211_154128.jpg

Summary: Despite only having had a handful of these, they've become one of my favorite smokes. Although it's on the mild side of medium-bodied, it's never one-dimensional or uninteresting. The flavors and aromas are rich and evolve beautifully over the course of just less than an hour. Since I've only got a single box, I'll have to ration these; but I'm already plotting when I can dip into this box again. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Great review!! I believe these were the regional cigars my parents were going to pick up for me while they were in Paris. They texted me in the middle of the night just before boarding to see if I wanted them. I didn't respond until the morning. So they figured I didn't want them
Are there any other QdO France regionals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review!! I believe these were the regional cigars my parents were going to pick up for me while they were in Paris. They texted me in the middle of the night just before boarding to see if I wanted them. I didn't respond until the morning. So they figured I didn't want them
Are there any other QdO France regionals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is basically one every year. Last year was Robusto Diplomaticos, this year Secretos. Check CCW.
  • Like 1