The best Cuban cigar you have ever had.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Montecristo #4 on the back porch of a cabin in Sweeden Built amidst a commercial pine forest overlooking a lake. The smell of fresh pine mixed with Cuban tobacco and fresh coffee and the sound of

My very first Epicure No. 2.  I was in a small shop picking some cigars up, and after explaining what had brought me in, I was gifted an Epicure No. 2.  I sat down with the owner out the back and enjo

This Cohiba Lanceros 1999 as the sun was setting on the patio out back - last June.  Sheer herfection.

1 hour ago, Dave001 said:

2. monty no 7 ( how I wish I could find this cigar again) from 1985

Wow, this is the first report I've ever seen of anyone actually smoking a Monte 6 or 7, ever. If you don't mind, where did you come across it?

The Saint Luis Rey Churchill, bought as a whole box in 1997. True Habanos honeyed brandywine and toasted bread from the hearth baked with love, in bliss filled raisin-y essence!  :daydream:

• Like 1

I really can't recall one. So many cigars from the mid-late 90s were so great for me. I'd have to say a BRC or RyJ Ex4 or Partagas Coronas from that time all are candidates. But I always have a special place for the first Cuban cigar I ever had--a 94 Punch Churchill that opened my eyes.

• Like 1

By far the best I have had is a farm rolled Robaina.  Exquisite, smooth as silk with velvet like texture.  The epitome of smokes.

Guest gorob23

Not even close. Each and everyone I have with Friends. I have had some GREAT cigars that didn't draw worth a darn but the laughs and good times made even those fantastic. It's not about the cigar... 

Rob 

23 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Wow, this is the first report I've ever seen of anyone actually smoking a Monte 6 or 7, ever. If you don't mind, where did you come across it?

nice to see someone is actually familiar with those 2 vitolas

back in the late 80s to around mid 95 my uncle whos a doctor and at the time was a very serious smoker of all things montecristo, with a treasury pass plus something else i really cant recall he was allowed to bring boxes of cuban cigars back. He knew i started smoking cigars around the mid 90s so he introduced me to a wondeful selection of montecristo 1,2,7 and especial no 1 (im suprised he never had the 6 strange that i think about it now) and at the time (1995-1997) i of course didnt realize that the smokes he was giving me were all from the late 70s mid 80s these cigars were the most amazing things i ever smoked at that time and even today unfortunately i have so few left of this stock reserved for only very special occasions as i doubt i will ever see a monty 7 ever again :(

1 hour ago, Dave001 said:

nice to see someone is actually familiar with those 2 vitolas

back in the late 80s to around mid 95 my uncle whos a doctor and at the time was a very serious smoker of all things montecristo, with a treasury pass plus something else i really cant recall he was allowed to bring boxes of cuban cigars back. He knew i started smoking cigars around the mid 90s so he introduced me to a wondeful selection of montecristo 1,2,7 and especial no 1 (im suprised he never had the 6 strange that i think about it now) and at the time (1995-1997) i of course didnt realize that the smokes he was giving me were all from the late 70s mid 80s these cigars were the most amazing things i ever smoked at that time and even today unfortunately i have so few left of this stock reserved for only very special occasions as i doubt i will ever see a monty 7 ever again :(

Interesting. So it appears he brought these back directly from Cuba between approximately 1980 and 1985. That makes sense as the No 6 and No 7 are so rare that it's possible they were never available for export. I've never even seen either at auction, ever, nor have I ever even seen a non-catalog photograph of one. As Monte was quite popular in England at the time, I'd love to know if Simon Chase ever saw any come through H & F at all. If they were exported, they almost certainly would have hit Britain at some point, but most major auctions are held in London, and again, I've never seen any go on the block. 

I can't imagine what a box of No 6 or 7 would go for at auction. And I do believe it's safe to say your examples are probably the only ones you'll ever see. With acceptable provenance, I could easily see an individual stick of No 6 or 7 go for $200+ each. Monte 6 or 7 may have been discussed here before, but I'd love to know if anyone else has ever even seen one, even at an auction I'm not aware of.

I have a heaven and hell cuban cigar experience (both in good ways). They are both the best cigar experiences i've ever had. Partagas 898 (around 2007?) and ERDM Grandes De Espania (around 2008?).

-The Hell was the 898 was pure cuban salt and fungal forest floor, must, wet oak, new leather, sour roasted red pepper. Like El Pres said "pure mongrel" Many hear this and might have bad expectations. Don't steer away from this great great cigar, thinking it might be too brutal or a messy smoke. Its an almost mesmeric experience, yes it does kick you in the guts, but it also shows you a Umami palette of flavours which you will categorically not find anywhere else.  I think setting can be important. (This was nothing special just my home town Manchester, on the porch)

-The Heaven was ELDM Grandes is a true gentlemen's smoke, absolute pure class, silky chewy mouth feel. Quite often when you stumble upon class, there aern't many standout flavours. Many might get frustrated by this, but trust me. When a cigar is 'together', you don't worry about flavour notes, youre just a bit blown away and the pen and paper get put to one side. All I can remember, is that it was the cleanest, best smoking, biggest smoke output, and most enjoyable cigar I've ever experienced. (This was enjoyed in the Chardonnay cigar bar in Tokyo, (well recommended)

Good topic

• Like 1