Blind Tasting Results for Cigar Number One and Revealing Cigar Number One

Smoked cigar #1 yesterday while watching the basketball games. 

The draw was great, the construction was on point and the flavors were leather, some salt, driftwood and espresso for me. I thought the cigar was very good and I never had any burn issues at all. The cigar transitioned well and never got bitter or too hot either. I think I know what it is!

IMG_20170326_145200.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone By now you should have received your Blind Tasting pack as they were shipped out a couple of weeks ago (if you haven't don't panic you have heaps of time  ) For those who have sm

I'll be busy with work over the next few weeks so I decided to light up Blind Tasting cigar No. 1 this weekend. The cigar has a nice looking wrapper. Clip the cap, nice draw as well. Picking

What a lovely night in Texas to smoke a cigar. Obviously, I've got my Shiner (at least a version of it) and Topo Chico ready to go. After a quick cut and cold draw, there are hints of grass, toasted t

First time participating in the blind tasting. Exciting. Cigar No. 1 -- nice tight roll.  Wrapper is nice and oily with a darker hue.  Once lit, the draw is perfect for me, nice and slow, takes a little effort, but ample smoke. Flavors start strong out of the box.  Lots of leather and small amounts of citrus.  After it gets going, some good saltiness comes through.  About midway, it turns to a woody cedar flavor with some creaminess.  Flavors dull down and leather and wood dominate. Miss the citrus tease.  Overall great cigar.  Look forward to learning what it is. 

• Like 1

Had cigar number 1 last night, pleasant evening in Brisbane, not to warm, light breeze. Cigar has a nice dark wrapper, oily look with a taste of earth/barnyard and spice on the cold draw.

blind1a.jpg.aa2a8219aefcb9e112cc7010ab1ab929.jpg

blind2a.jpg.c6cbe716ca854a2d75e82ad024787faa.jpg

Very solid construction, I was worried it may be tight to draw on, upon lighting there were no such issues at all. First third gives me strong earth taste, leather and a bit of cream. Medium bodied cigar.

blind3a.jpg.0475fdff638411f8cc3bbed3ccf902bf.jpg

Second third I am getting a taste of wood/cedar, coffee and spice. With small amounts of earth now and a bit of what seems to be fruitiness, strengthens up in this third.

blind4a.jpg.dc995b548ed975476dfcbe84c1900389.jpg

Last third is still medium to strong, very nice even burn throughout the thirds, with the taste of wood/cedar, I am getting the taste of spice with pepper and fruitiness again, leather makes a reappearance. Overall for me an hour and 15 min cigar, one of the best cigars I can say I have had. Now to throw my selection in!

blind5a.jpg.cb12aa4fc437ab6d4e9503f17c50f350.jpg

• Like 2

Prelight: Chocolate, sweet hay, barnyard, rich earth, slight box press, Colorado wrapper

Beginning: Woodiness, maybe slight graham cracker. Cedar, slightest of spice, a hint of citrus. Has a fermented essence. Good tight burn and draw is right on.

Middle: Dropped the grey, mottled ash. Flavors much the same. Medium plus body. A little more spice, it is a woody spice though. As it progresses the flavors become a mushroom/earth with the slight spice moving to the background to balance.

End: The woody spice is back with citrus dancing on the fringe. The mushroom is the backbone now. Very satisfying, rich, earthy.

Overall: Solid, delicious cigar. Nothing too complex, but I wonder what age would do for this. Maybe bring out some nuances. Very enjoyable.

Rating: 9.1

Box pressed Corona Gorda

Dry boxed for 4 days--this was a very dark oil laden stick.  Glad I dry boxed it.

Cold draw is tobacco and earth.  
Lots of citrus and toasted tobacco taste off the start medium body. Slight woodiness, very slight pepper in nose.   Body is very medium. Draw and burn is near perfect.  Creamy mouthfeel starting to come on in the middle.  Getting a little bitterness but not a bad one-one I associate with espresso.  Citrus is really there.  Citrus and espresso with slight cream are the dominant flavors to me.  Just a straight medium body.  Not much evolution but it's a great cigar.  I really wish I didn't have pre-conceived notions about what this is.  Terrible at blind tasting.  Who knows.  Sending guess in coming days.  Need to consider if I've been tossed a curveball or not.  Hmmm...

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

wood, leather predominant with light cream lingering in and out. coffee notes here and there as well. but i think it needed more rest or i got a dud. we'll see how my guess goes.

Box press, light brown wrapper with visible oils, light smell of tobacco and sweet wood.

IMG_1170.JPG.thumb.JPG.fb8aa9daefd15303033600c99a13119e.JPG

Perfect draw with woodyness on the pre-light

The initial draws are wood and sour fruits, Light to Med body.

1st 3rd

Flavours are of sweet wood and unripe sour apricots.

2nd 3rd

The sourness has faded and the fruit is becoming more dominant, with the woody notes still present in the background. Still med body.

Last 3rd

The flavours are similar but have been amped up significantly towards the end, with prominent wood and fruit. this is now a very smooth and enjoyable smoke, shame its coming to an end.

I Really enjoyed this cigar, but I am currently torn between 2 potential marcas. Fingers crossed I make the right choice…

I sampled cigar #1 a couple of weeks ago and probably did myself a disservice by smoking it in a local cigar lounge.  The crowd was sparse at the time, but there was enough smoke in the air to dull my sense of smell and taste.  That being said, this was a very enjoyable cigar.  The draw and the burn were perfect.  The 1st third was wood and toasted tobacco, slightly herbal with hints of citrus.  This herbal taste, which I can't quite nail down in terms of a solid description, remained throughout.  The middle third brought on some leather and a bit of spice as the woodiness and citrus faded.  The final third became slightly bitter (though not unpleasant) with more of an earthy character.  

The fact that this stick was a corona gorda (and I am assuming current production - i.e. 2015, 2016) limits the possibilities of its identity.  Based on physical characteristics alone I narrowed the field to two viable candidates.  Hopefully that pre-judgement didn't skew my perception during the smoking of the cigar, but we'll find out in a few days.  

Got the sample pack a few weeks back. Kept in my Wineador at 65/65. Pulled #1 a few days  ago to drybox. Glad I did seeing some of the draw issues. 

Good looking corona gorda. Nice oily sheen. Firm packing. Slight soft spot near the head. Good draw with a slight tug, which I prefer. 

Grassy and slightly sweet on the prelight draw. Smoked very nicely throughout. No touch ups needed. 

Had a strange thing happen. The first third had a stem that would pop and sizzle every now and then. First time I've had that lol. You can see it in the foot.

I'd say some grass flavor, coffee and a bit of that lemon zing every now and then. Slight nicotine build up as it progressed. Smoking slowly helped. Thoroughly enjoyed this cigar. 

I believe I know what it is even though I'm certain I've never smoked it before. Box worthy in my opinion. I would lay them down for a while. 88pts

Have a great week brothers and sisters!

C0298500-D3C5-4421-BD20-F80C50E43F45.jpg

I smoked #1 today and it was a enjoyable cigar. I have 3 Corona Gorda's in stock and I would be surprised if it was one of those 3. Construction appeared to be spot on with a dark oily wrapper and no viable blemishes. The pre-draw was firm and had a strong spice characteristic that gave my taste buds a bit of a tingle. Upon lighting I was initially hit with black pepper, heavy spice and cedar followed through the first third and really throughout the entire cigar. The 2nd third had a few draws with vanilla notes that were delightful and the last 3rd showed some black coffee/espresso notes but they were subtle and mostly drowned from the heavy cedar/spice flavor that dominated the cigar. There were burn issues with the cigar, which could have been made worse by the windy conditions but the cigar was tunneling on one side and would go out when slowing down to let the other side catch up. I had to touch up and re-light a few times. Overall I rate this an 85 point cigar, medium bodied, good but not great. If  time down would all ow those vanilla and espresso notes to develop and have more of a presence, then I cold easily see this as a 90+ point cigar. 

IMG_0498.JPG

25 minutes ago, KFBR392 said:

What is the deadline exactly, EST for the US folks.  Thanks!

Well...I suppose they need to clarify if they mean midnight on April 4th or the whole day of April 4th? @Elpresidente can you advise? I think you have the whole day of April 4th to get it in...0001hrs on April 5th is no bueno.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First Lady said:

Don't worry guys midnight on the 4th is fine :D

I am not evil I will except late results  :devil2: @Fuzz no comment from you okay LOL

Comment from me? Now why would I do that?.... :sneaky:

• Like 1

I guess I'm the odd one out. Cigar 1 was ok but I can't say it was enjoyable. Draw was good, nice smoke, flavours earthy turning to leather and wood. I suppose I was hoping for more. In any case no idea what it is, so I'll give a wild guess

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I smoked most of Cigar #1 yesterday. Review will be brief as I don't want to think about the experience anymore than I have to.

Pre light:

Colorado Wrapper, box press, visible seams, and waterspots, but fairly smooth, some sheen. Foot half is soft and squishy, severely underfilled, Head half is hard and severely overfilled, punctuated by a solid plug about an inch from the head. Upon cutting the draw is better than anticipated, but far tor firm. Some work with a poker makes things better, for now.

1st Third:

Burning Tobacco. Burn instantly goes off kilter, wrapper/binder is not combusting at the softest spots. One or two faint hits of something like brown sugar, draw is sporadic, knot towards the head splits after about an inch of smoking. I wonder if they are letting tourists roll during the factory tours?

2nd Third:

We've gone from bad to worse, draw continues to tighten as the cigar smokes, knot has continued to expand and crack the wrapper, burning tobacco is growing bitter and acrid. Touch up regularity increases. 

Final Third:

Didn't get to it, I was hoping all the flavor would come here, maybe the leaf missing in the first half got tucked into the back half? The lack of flavors early was one thing, but add to that the bitter/acrid flavors that built through the middle of the cigar plus the crappy burn/draw and I could not wait to chuck this turd. 

Conclusion:

The worst Cigar I have smoked in recent memory, right up there with a tent peg Sig VI in Havana last year. Complete lack of flavor and construction that greatly deterred from the smoking experience. No redeeming qualities. My guess is a blind swipe based on size and wrapper shade as I picked up no flavors that would lead me to one of the available choices. An example of the very worst that Cuba has to offer.

58e26485e85e7_IMG_18291.thumb.JPG.4cc9f0c35f0e3bc103e5478ad765fa4b.JPG58e26492b7e57_IMG_18301.thumb.JPG.27dcbdad8856efa13bc3823d8b0b1e35.JPG58e26498d5427_IMG_18311.thumb.JPG.05057ae614d50a22bd4711fc9aa289db.JPG58e264a1a7adb_IMG_18331.thumb.JPG.3d78d115105def295e182ed7624301ba.JPG 

Here's my run down on number 1. Forgive typos and weird auto corrections as I'm posting from a new phone while on vacation. 

Awesome color with great oil & sheen on the wrapper.  Prelight smell is a lot of hay and a little green. Draw is perfect. 

Fired it up and there's a ton of chlorine & spice through the nose and a sweet spice on the palate.  There's a touch of excess heat from the lighting bit nothing crazy. 

Through the first third,  the sweetness dominates with some salty notes and some heat on the roof of my mouth.  The flavor is a bit segmented and I feel like it's a bit of a young cigar with a lot of potential.  Medium bodied.  The youthful edge fades as it smokes. 

Through the 2nd 3rd, the flavor increases but the body only increases slightly.  The sweetness gets more vegetal through the nose and the sweet flavor fades as more leather starts to build. 

Final third, the body stays consistent and the flavor finally gets smooth and balanced with the right mix of leather and sweet spice. If it had started this way,  it would have been amazing.  When I know for certain what it was,  I'd try them again,  especially with age. 

Chased it with a Guinness pub can. Life is good in San Antonio. 

The one I smoked was pretty bad also.    I wish it had some hay, citrus, woody twang to it but it was quite different from that.  I read some reviews on here before I smoked it and I thought I knew what it was going to be.  After firing it up I quickly came to the conclusion that it was not the cigar I was expecting.  My guess is for the one box pressed Corona Gorda that I have not tried yet.  If I'm right I will probably never pursue another, if I'm wrong I will chalk it up to getting a dud because I really enjoy the ones I have.

Terrible at blind tasting, so will make it short:

1) Wonderful aroma at cold.

2) Tasty cigar - woody and sweet.

3) Not a lot of complexity for me.

4) Have smoked this marca before but not this stick.

5) Smoking time about 1 hour and paired with a little Zafra after dinner.

IMG_1793.thumb.jpg.cb5d1adcae7c4e205f4ff33fbea80dc3.jpg

IMG_1796.thumb.jpg.974453be4ee2171610073d5822082130.jpg

IMG_1797.thumb.jpg.719673a738ce53d581f796b4318b156b.jpg

Really enjoyed this stick, I have a remote inkling of an idea of what it might be.  A dark rich wrapper really added a nice sweetness to this stick which is right up my alley.  Strenght built nicely throughoitbthe stick and it would have paired nicely with a rum or sweet bourbon.  Smoked it in my rental car outside a hotel (its awful cold in Wyoming right now) hopefully the scent disapates before I return it ;)20170403_203719.thumb.jpg.f655e6940d4595390d7d8ddf871485ec.jpg Definitely box worthy!  

Mine was beautiful, both to look at and to smoke. Colorado wrapper with sheen, great draw and delicious creamy, woody-sweet flavours all the way to the end. Lots of fruitiness too, starting with citrus but mellowing to peaches and cream. 94/100

Of the 3 cigars I think this could be, I don't hold any stock for comparison so I am truly flying blind.

20170331_193055.jpg