Montecristo Linea 1935

There are a lot of things about this release that are putting me off.

That said, I'll likely try a few, hoping against hope.

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always thought we needed a super premium Monte so that we can pay more for a similar smoking experience. Yay!

I didn't put to flame as I had an Esplendido on the go..probably will try one soon.Ajay and Sean (H&F) were on my table - Ajay said he liked the Maltes a lot (if I've not go it the wrong way round

I wasn't at the gala dinner but I smoked a Dumas at a party last Sunday. The cigar looked and felt very nice. To be honest my taste was shot by the end of 10 days of it. It was noticeably st

Jesus!!!! they should route a whole in the box and supplier a golden pacifier/dummy with it.   So sad that classless markets are orchestrating such a sad wand over what used to be such a refined joy.   I'm envisioning a great deal off these floating in rappers swimming pools smoked 2cm, probably a worthy end.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

If they are quality full bodied Monte's then it is indeed something different and maybe worthwhile. I throughly enjoy a Monte 2 but often would love another kick up in body.

As had been in former times? Right Pres, agree wholeheartedly! It appears I might be liking that blend, too. But - why then not just going back to the blends of old in the standard range, when such had been the normal instead of the exceptional? Why not?! - well, let's not kid ourselves.....

It is what it is: a shameful marketing ploy to attract the NC-smoker (or whomever). As I said it a couple of times, Cuba is rapidly shedding its great grand cigar heritage. That 1935 range is a big joke, at the very least design-wise.

• Like 1

It's a Cuban cigar. They don't differ by huge degrees. All the blind tastings through the years here and elsewhere has shown that what we taste is heavily influenced by what we expect. Of course there is variation between cigars, but they are generally similar on more levels than dissimilar.

Still, not actually having tried any, it is possible that they taste like a double cheeseburger with smoked thick cut Canadian bacon, Kimchi, strawberries dipped in sea water. That would be pretty unique and I would stand corrected.

Mmmmm... the Willy Wonka cigar...
  • Like 3

i don't care about the box or all the bands or whatever. i just put my attention on the cigar itself. if the Dumas smokes great and brings something new to the table than that's all that counts. at that point, i will either get a few now and then or purchase a few boxes, all depends on the price i guess. we shall see...

Honestly i don't think we'll see any until 2018 anyway...late 2018!

• Like 3

The box presentation is nice as I like the way the 80th looks. I doubt that these will have outer cardboard boxes and felt sleeves to accompany them. With the exception of vintage Monte's (Dunhill #2 / #4, etc.) I've never really gravitated to them much. Diplimaticos, to me, had more flavor. If they made the festival packaging available for people to try, I would like to give them a go, but can't see spending any more premium than what the regular line already demands.

13 minutes ago, TheMonk said:

Oh, that pig does look more delicious then the Monti! Very similar to a specialty we have here in Portugal that is based on suckling pig, or leitão assado as we call it.

"puerco asado" in Cuba. Delicious, with a garlic/olive oil dressing and heart-stoppingly good crackling.

• Like 2

"puerco asado" in Cuba. Delicious, with a garlic/olive oil dressing and heart-stoppingly good crackling.

Yeah, that's very similar to what we do here, except we use a black pepper based dressing. That crust on the skin really is the best part, IMO.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

See a real concern that I have, that I only just realised, is that because of the seemingly constant stream of these new glossy ultra releases in obnoxious packaging/bands, uncomfortable guages and worse..stonking great price tags, that I've found I have stopped caring about anything new from Cuba. I don't follow what EL, RE, LCDH etc is coming out because there is nothing for me and the average chap anymore, at least that is what HSA is telling me. 

The glut of these gaudy releases has disenfranchised me so much from anything post what, 2008 ish, that as a customer I'm feeling like I'm being pushed into an ever shrinking corner, and that HSA aims to eventually remove that corner completely.

I can't be the only one. I love Cuban cigars and the culture, hobby with a fierce passion but it seems that the only market HSA care about now is those with the biggest wallet and arguably the most shallow of reasons for smoking.

Release the new things that pander to the crowd who will drop you as soon as the next money driven fad arrives, it's HSAs perogative, but just give the rest of us something at the same time. The LCDH RA Superiores is the only thing thrown to us for what seems like years. It doesn't nearly outweigh the deletions never mind make us feel valued.

Preach! Amen brother.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Montecristo with more ligero? Count me in. Excited to try these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long do you think that mystical ligero will last? 2-3 months of original release boxes? Or do you think they will be more honest with this new Montecristo line than they were/are with Cohiba BHKs?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shlomo said:

Preach! Amen brother.

4 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

See a real concern that I have, that I only just realised, is that because of the seemingly constant stream of these new glossy ultra releases in obnoxious packaging/bands, uncomfortable guages and worse..stonking great price tags, that I've found I have stopped caring about anything new from Cuba. I don't follow what EL, RE, LCDH etc is coming out because there is nothing for me and the average chap anymore, at least that is what HSA is telling me. 

The glut of these gaudy releases has disenfranchised me so much from anything post what, 2008 ish, that as a customer I'm feeling like I'm being pushed into an ever shrinking corner, and that HSA aims to eventually remove that corner completely.

I can't be the only one. I love Cuban cigars and the culture, hobby with a fierce passion but it seems that the only market HSA care about now is those with the biggest wallet and arguably the most shallow of reasons for smoking.

Release the new things that pander to the crowd who will drop you as soon as the next money driven fad arrives, it's HSAs perogative, but just give the rest of us something at the same time. The LCDH RA Superiores is the only thing thrown to us for what seems like years. It doesn't nearly outweigh the deletions never mind make us feel valued.

Brilliant!

1 hour ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

I get it.  Believe me, I really do get it.  But just to put this out there...

How about we complain about all that crap but refrain from calling people who enjoy some of this stuff the following:

• Small penis (prior thread);
  • Goat Palate (prior thread);
  • Ignorant (prior thread);
  • a zillion other derogatory terms  (more prior threads)...;
  • ...and now shallow?!

By all means complain but no need to be insulting and derogatory.  No, my feelings are not hurt and I don't want to cry.  I just get tired of hearing the complaints AND getting bad mouthed by people who don't like what HSA is putting out.

Here is where I disagree with you Harv... Frankly, taste is competitive and stratifying, like it or not! When I enjoy something another does not, or vice versa, there is at least a 'passive assertion' that the other's taste is different, and if one wishes to look at it really closely, inferior... We all live with it. Why not just understand the implication?

You see I have been the 'black pig' around here for a lot of years, puking on the EL and RE program for over a decade. It is what it is... It should make no difference wether you, or I, like or dislike, agree or disagree on tastes. It is not that big a deal... We can be friends and not like each others cigars, and make fun of the fat or skinny ones and not feel shame over it.

You know, if another guy likes a cigar, NC, fat, or EL or otherwise, it should not make a damn bit of difference what a guy who calls himself PigFish has to say about it... (JMHO)

I want to voice my opinion about these cigars and so do others. Obviously you are more respected by the company Tabacuba and as you vote with your wallet it trumps my voice, my vote. While I bitch, you are the one who is respected, certainly not I. That should offer you something, something more than I have! But with all due respect, I am not going to let up. I have earned the right to voice my opinion.

Getting back to the topic of this cigar...! I can only ascertain that they call it a 'Dumb-ass' for a reason!!! -LOL

... and that is where I leave it!

Cheers mate. -tP

• Like 2

@PigFish, you miss my point.

I don't mind the complaints. Have at it. I'm not going to tell someone not to voice their opinions or criticism.

Maybe just don't call me a small dicked, ignorant, shallow, asshat when you do it. 

That was my point. Sorry if I wandered a bit. 

We all like what we like. I'm good with that. It appears others...not so much. 

Now, back to the show...

Edit: Ray has never called me names. He is polite with his complaints. He calls HSA names.  I'm good with that. 

Edited by HarveyBoulevard
Clarification
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

I get it.  Believe me, I really do get it.  But just to put this out there...

How about we complain about all that crap but refrain from calling people who enjoy some of this stuff the following:

• Small penis (prior thread);
  • Goat Palate (prior thread);
  • Ignorant (prior thread);
  • a zillion other derogatory terms  (more prior threads)...;
  • ...and now shallow?!

By all means complain but no need to be insulting and derogatory.  No, my feelings are not hurt and I don't want to cry.  I just get tired of hearing the complaints AND getting bad mouthed by people who don't like what HSA is putting out.

My friend I meant no offense to you or anyone who enjoys cigars, if it came said that way I apologise unreservedly.

My clumsy comment was meant to say that HSA seems to be marketing only to those who singularly pick up cigars as a way to show off to their peers. Why else move away from understated plain packaging to triple gold bands and piano gloss black boxes? I don't believe anyone here meets that criteria. From what I measure, that crowd is the target and if the traditional cigar smokers like yourself also enjoy the new product then that's great because that's all there is going to be. 

Why they can't try to keep the customer be as a whole happy is beyond me. Especially, as far as I understand it, the customer base which keeps HSA afloat is the one which buys RyJ / Partagas Mille Fleur 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

@PigFish, you miss my point.

I don't mind the complaints. Have at it. I'm not going to tell someone not to voice their opinions or criticism.

Maybe just don't call me a small dicked, ignorant, shallow, asshat when you do it. 

That was my point. Sorry if I wandered a bit. 

We all like what we like. I'm good with that. It appears others...not so much. 

Now, back to the show...

Edit: Ray has never called me names. He is polite with his complaints. He calls HSA names.  I'm good with that. 

.... correction!

HSA is only a half owned, by a free market partner of Tabacuba. Tabacuba runs the show... HSA is a stooge for Tabacuba's F-ups! I call Tabacuba names as they make the cigars, own all the company, the tobacco, the farmers, the land and the rights of the less than free people. Tabacuba is the Cuban government.

I call Tabacuba the names... asshat!!! -LOL (Read with levity please!)

-R

• Like 1

This will be very similar to the cohiba bashing we see and then anything cohiba sells out in seconds on 24/24. These will sell out immediately as well.

I am looking forward to trying them. I hope everyone else stays away so I don't have to rush my email when they hit. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The future of Cuban Boxes (actually all manufacturers) is plain and bandless. It will be legislated upon them once the key global markets fall to the drum of the Health Nazis. 20 years I suspect. 

I quite like the idea of bundles of Monte X ..bandless, simple ribbon. Throwback in many ways. 

Yes, bring it back!

Monte%201%20cab.jpg

Anyway, this whole Linea 1935 release reeks of super-premium and ultra-high prices. The Leyenda is going to be the same vitola as the Monte 80th--and that cigar is a mega-monster. Someone is getting fired over letting the Dumas out at only 49 RG!

Also, as of yet there's no indication that the Linea 1935 will be utilizing any special tobacco, only that The habanos contained in this new line have been completely hand-rolled with long filler, following a selection of exquisite leaves for filler, binder and wrapper from the finest plantations in Pinar del Rio’s* Vuelta Abajo*, the land of the world’s very best tobacco. Linea 1935 features a strong-tasting blend, a first in the Montecristo brand which complements the much milder taste of the Linea Clasica and Linea Edmundo, let alone the mild-to-strong taste of the Linea Open blend. This from here: http://www.revistasexcelencias.com/en/excellences/xix-habano-festival/montecristo-linea-1935. Also, HSA does seem to state this, albeit a bit lost in translation: The Habanos of Montecristo Línea 1935 have a new and differentiated presentation and a full strength flavour blend for the first time in this brand

So, they're saying that the Linea Clasica is on the milder side? Perhaps the Opens, but the Linea Clasica? I vehemently disagree. Opens aside, Montecristo has always been a medium-plus strength blend. So the 1935s are going to be sticks of dynamite? If they think the Monte is mild they have about half their marcas that are milder than that and have apparently been holding back? 

Well, I guess we're going to see what a strong Monte is all about. Let's hope it's not just stuffed with ligero like some NCs and is just all white pepper. 

• Like 1