45-60 Min Smoke

Rustyman

I've just had a HUHC and while a beautiful smoke, it only lasted 20-25 minutes.  What I am looking for is a smoke in the 45-60 minutes duration.

To give you an idea, my favourite sized smokes are robustos and these typically take me 60-75 minutes.  I am looking for something in-between as a regular smoke for when I don't have an hour or more.

I have been looking at PC's as I don't mind a thinner gauge smoke as Robusto's are probably as large a ring gauge as I want to go.

Any suggestions which are reasonably priced???

Fuzz,  you're right.  Pricing is relative:lol:.  I bought a 10 piece sampler from our host which has a RASCC which I think might be closer to what I am looking for.  I think I will try a Party Short or three as well.

I had a PLPC in the sampler package but made the mistake of trying to smoke through a cold.  NOT a good decision.  I couldn't do it justice and will have to try again.

A 45-60 minute cigar is definitely a petit corona size for you @Rustyman I'd say. If you find some decent Montecristo No.4 within your price range, go for that if you haven't already, otherwise I concur on the Por Larranaga Petit Corona.

John, thanks for the reply.  I think that your advice is spot on.  A petit corona size is what I should be looking for.  I wll definitely look at the PLPC once more but also the Partegas Short (and a few others).

I am however a bit leary of the Monte 4 as I had 3 of those and wasn't too impressed.  The last one I smoked was definitely the worst cuban I have smoken (in my very limited experience).

You are right.  They probably saw my relatives coming as non-smokers and gave them whatever they could get away with. Amongst which was the 3 Monte 4's and the three Monte 2's which I have yet to try.

RyJ No.2.  First of 2  5-packs my in-laws bought at Schipol Airport in Holland.  65 minute smoke.  Perfect duration for me.  Perfect draw, good ash, touched up a couple of time due to uneven burn.  Relatively monotone smoke.  No real progression or development.  Basic Cuban tastes, woody, tobacco, no real berry notes which I have experienced with more expensive RyJ variants. Nice and smooth, never unpleasant even into the final 1 1/2 inches.  Think these might do good with some humidor time. Good basic smoke and nice recovery after some less than stellar experiences in the last couple of weeks when I tried to smoke though a cold.  Found a petit corona to be my perfect everyday vitola.  Will explore this theme further over the next few weeks with some more complex variants.

• 2 weeks later...

Bolivar Corona Jr - great flavor & body

Ramon Allones Small Club Corona is actually a minuto just like the BCJr

Both of these are great if you like the Party Short, I like these better for the range of flavor

San Cristobal El Principe if you want more mellow but still spicy like spice cake not pepper

And then of course you can move into the petite corona range....like the Sancho Non-Plus, Rafeal G PC, Boli PC and on and on....

And lastly if cost is a concern please try the Jose Piedra, while short filler it is yummy filler

• Like 2

Okay.  After my less than stellar experiences with Montecristo, I decide to try two Monte's this weekend in the PC range.  The Monte Especial No. and the Monte Open Junior.

Let me just say the experiences were like chalk and cheese and why I decided I would rather smoke less but smoke good cigars than smoke more often and smoke lesser examples.

As a newbie, I don't like making definite statements on cigars as one man's trash is another man's treasure.  However, the Especial No.2 restored my faith in the Montecristo marca.  The Open Junior nearly made me consider that viewpoint once more.  The Especial No.2 was smooth, creamy, typical Monte DNA.  The Open had hints (and I mean very faint hints) of the Monte profile.  The Especial was 55 minutes of pleasure and left me with a smile on my face.  The Open Junior, i ditched after 30 minutes.  Not that the open was wholly bad, it had good draw, burn and ash.  It is just that if I could only smoke the Open series, I would probably give up cigar smoking quite quickly.  With the Especial, I know that I am going to be trying every Cuban out there for the next few years.

Cheap and Cheerful does not have to mean uninteresting, boring or bland.  I know that in life you generally get what you pay for but if the Open Junior I tried was in anyway representative of the rest of the series, I'm giving it a miss.

Still like the size and smoking time of the smaller cigars but quality does play a huge role.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1LegLance said:

Bolivar Corona Jr - great flavor & body

Ramon Allones Small Club Corona is actually a minuto just like the BCJr

Both of these are great if you like the Party Short, I like these better for the range of flavor

San Cristobal El Principe if you want more mellow but still spicy like spice cake not pepper

And then of course you can move into the petite corona range....like the Sancho Non-Plus, Rafeal G PC, Boli PC and on and on....

And lastly if cost is a concern please try the Jose Piedra, while short filler it is yummy filler

1LegLance, thanks for the recommendations. The Bolivar, Party Short and the RASCC is definitely on in the plan in the short-term.  I don't know much about the El Principe, but if my local B& has that in stock, I will try that as well.

Most PCs take me well over an hour to smoke, so don't know how they'd fare for you.

It sounds like you need some of the Minutos or Perlas in your life - RASCC, Partagas Shorts, SCdlH, Monte 5.  If you really want a bargain PLMC, PL Panetelas, and RGPC are great, as well.

• Like 1

Had my first Partagas Super Partagas this evening.  Spicy, hints of white pepper, not unpleasant.  Single note, with the white pepper becoming more pronounced in the final third and becoming harsher.  Accompanied by a spiced rum and coke for the first half and a 4 Pines stout in the second.  The spiced rum seems a much better companion for this cigar.   Lasted just around 60 mins so right in my target area in terms of length of smoke.  Good ash, good burn, didn't need to touch up at all.  Will try this in the future with a more aged example.  Pretty decent experiment.

On 07/04/2017 at 5:29 AM, helix said:

Cheapest of the cheap not that bad really . Cremas .

JLP Cremas.jpg

What has your experience been with the JLP brand?  Have seen some feedback that it is pretty bad which is why I am concentrating on the lesser versions of more well known brands.

On 08/04/2017 at 7:21 PM, ErikB said:

84d7bb14af6b579552b698d560a5faea.jpg why not try a Non Plus

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Definitely in the right ball park regarding ring gauge and length.  What is the flavour profile like?  I am quite new to cigar smoking but find that a definitely like the Bolivar and Partagas profiles.

Had a second Partagas Super Partagas this weekend past.  Even better than the first one.   A single note smoke but a pretty decent one at that.  However, also had a Bolivar Royal Corona, and that illustrates the gap between better quality smokes and the everyday "yardgar" in American parlance.

6 hours ago, Rustyman said:

What has your experience been with the JLP brand?  Have seen some feedback that it is pretty bad which is why I am concentrating on the lesser versions of more well known brands.

Have had most of the line up . They are all pretty much similar in taste IMHO . Not complex but good straight up Cuban tobacco flavour for the price , and I like the Cremas size .

Definitely in the right ball park regarding ring gauge and length.  What is the flavour profile like?  I am quite new to cigar smoking but find that a definitely like the Bolivar and Partagas profiles.

Salt , hazelnuts , milky coffee

On 12/04/2017 at 4:20 AM, helix said:

Have had most of the line up . They are all pretty much similar in taste IMHO . Not complex but good straight up Cuban tobacco flavour for the price , and I like the Cremas size .

That sounds worthy of a trial.  I'll try to get myself a 5 pack and report back here. 

13 hours ago, ErikB said:

Salt , hazelnuts , milky coffee

Thanks.  Sounds good.  Will see if it comes up in a 24:24

If you like the Super Partagas, I would recommend the H. Upmann Majestics, which are also cremas (5.5" x 40). Very nice cigar, at a very reasonable price. For me, they are more of a 70 minute smoke, but they're not so expensive that I'd feel guilty if I had to let one go early. 

• Like 1