Hibiki 21 & Yamazaki 18

Hamaki

I've been on a bourbon buying kick lately but have heard good things about Japanese whiskey although haven't had a chance to try.  For those that have sampled some of the well aged Hibiki or Yamazaki, is it superior to something like Blantons ($55) and worth the extra $200?    Is the flavor comparable to any readily available bourbons?    I don't like peat or smokey flavors in my cup. 

Master of Malt says the following: "Hibiki 21 was named World's Best Blended Whisky at the 2013 World Whiskies Awards and was awarded 96 points in Jim Murray's 2014 Whisky Bible."

About  Yamazaki 18 we have: "An award winning Japanese single malt, Yamazaki's legendary 18 year old earned a Gold at the 2007 International Spirits Challenge and a Double Gold at the 2005 San Francisco World Spirits Competition."

So, what we have with those two Japanese Whiskies is possibly one of the best blended versions and one of the best single malt versions. I think these would be incomparable to Blanton's, and Blanton's is my favourite bourbon. These whiskies are not peaty or smoky but they are expensive due to their current rarity.

20 hours ago, JohnS said:

So, what we have with those two Japanese Whiskies is possibly one of the best blended versions and one of the best single malt versions. I think these would be incomparable to Blanton's, and Blanton's is my favourite bourbon. These whiskies are not peaty or smoky but they are expensive due to their current rarity.

Sidebar: I love Blanton's, too.  I've got an order in for some of the Blanton's Gold (which is unavailable in the US for reasons beyond understanding).

The incomparable Horst Luening said some very kind things about it:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, planetary said:

Sidebar: I love Blanton's, too.  I've got an order in for some of the Blanton's Gold (which is unavailable in the US for reasons beyond understanding).

The incomparable Horst Luening said some very kind things about it:

I like his reviews, but am forced to mute the sound when he tastes. Its so very gross.

On 3/10/2017 at 11:31 PM, JohnS said:

Master of Malt says the following: "Hibiki 21 was named World's Best Blended Whisky at the 2013 World Whiskies Awards and was awarded 96 points in Jim Murray's 2014 Whisky Bible."

About  Yamazaki 18 we have: "An award winning Japanese single malt, Yamazaki's legendary 18 year old earned a Gold at the 2007 International Spirits Challenge and a Double Gold at the 2005 San Francisco World Spirits Competition."

Have you tried the Hibiki or the Yamazaki?

The Yamasaki 18 is fantastic. Hibiki 21 just a shade below.  Are they better than Blantons? Sure, but the value ratio isn't there. If you like Blantons, I suggest you try Bookers and especially Noah's Mill, both cask strength bourbons in the same price range as Blantons but much better in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have both bottles and I got to say the Yamazaki 18 is something special.  Its unique flavor that cannot be matched with any other bourbon or scotch.   I got them just a bit over $200 a bottle and I consider it a great value!!

On 3/12/2017 at 9:43 PM, Cigarsandmalts said:

The Yamasaki 18 is fantastic. Hibiki 21 just a shade below.  Are they better than Blantons? Sure, but the value ratio isn't there. If you like Blantons, I suggest you try Bookers and especially Noah's Mill, both cask strength bourbons in the same price range as Blantons but much better in my opinion.

I also have Bookers and Noah's Mill. Definitely tasty and strong without being over powering..  I see Blantons Gold when I visit Japan. 

Neither are anything like Blanton's. Both are much more scotch like. If you are looking for a Japanese whisky that is closer in profile to bourbon I would go with Nikka's Coffey Grain Whisky. It is about as close as you're going to get to bourbon for a Japanese whisky. 

Having tried both, I myself would not hesitate to spend $250+ on them if I had the money and if I could find them.  $250+ is pretty risky of an investment based on the palate of others.  Whisky, once opened, is much harder to sell than cigars so it will not be easy to recoup that money back if you make a mistake. 

On 13/03/2017 at 6:54 AM, shlomo said:

Have you tried the Hibiki or the Yamazaki?

Yes, but not the Hibiki 21 or Yamazaki 18, hence my quoting of the Master of Malt review site. In my part of the world, it's hard enough to find Hibiki and Yamazaki that is not a No Age Statement option, and I very glad when I recently did (i.e. Hibiki 12 and Yamazaki 12).

Plus, if I did find these bottles, the marked up prices would dissuade me from purchasing them, I'd guess. (Yamazaki 18 retails for $AU800 and Hibiki 21 for $AU1000 currently). 

• Like 1

I have both in my possession acquired 3 years ago whilst on a trip to Japan ,since then they have more than doubled in price the latest I heard for the Yamasaki is $800 same as you John 

sadly they are nearly gone both distinctly different the 21 is really smooth as you would expect from a blend but the 18 single malt is sublime 

cheers 

IMG_1475.JPG.ff2ae2d80033192171963bbb311e6ae6.JPGIMG_1476.JPG.9f0f30166ffe1015e6e9121546381749.JPG

• Like 2