Storage techniques for in humidor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   its been a long long while since I last posted but I finally am finishing up sealing up my humidor and had a question. How do you all stack/store your cigars? Do you separate by age

I keep LTA stock out of my large humidors and in a coolador in the basement. Always cooler temps in the basement, nothing has a better sealed or is more stable than a coolador. Also, they are away fro

just fill it up till you can fit no more, rinse and repeat

I can just echo what others have said above.  At first there was a DNS (do not smoke) shelf for aging full boxes and a shelf for stuff in my current rotation.  But....I'm approaching tetris territory where I'll just have to put stuff where it fits regardless of status.  I will, however, try to keep the stuff I'm currently smoking from as accessible as possible.  I don't want to take out 15 boxes just to get at my cab of Partagas Shorts once a week.

Point is, you can develop a system that will work for a while, but if you follow in the footsteps of so many members around here you'll end up with a totally different system or no system at all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Versus1ss said:

Hello,

its been a long long while since I last posted but I finally am finishing up sealing up my humidor and had a question. How do you all stack/store your cigars? Do you separate by age or have a long rest section and just leave the top for singles or ready to smoke ones. I attached a few pics for more visual aid and please don't mind the mess I haven't started tucking in the wires and am buying some SC planks so I can replace with SC shelves. 

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

Very impressive!!

• Like 1

Great looking humidor!  I personally just get them in where they fit in.  I smoke only a couple cigars a month at the most so they age naturally.  No method to my madness.:lol:

Good luck and post pics of your continuing project.

• Like 1

Damn that's puuuuuuurty! :2thumbs::cigar:

I divide into LT aging and current boxes (like, for use this year) and then draw from the current boxes to load the small desktop humi for those grab-and-go moments.  Except for the desktop humidor, I don't store any cigars in singles, exposed to the air.  Not a fan of circulation I guess! 

If you need some packaging 'discipline' to support your LT aging, then you might want to saran wrap those boxes.  You can still see what they are, but the saran wrap will really reduce air exchange and also be somewhat of a deterrent to opening prematurely. :cigar: 

I was going to answer with some 'wise-ass' answer like I usually do... But... I like your humidor project so much, I will save you the grief of dealing with me!

Beautiful project mate.

Okay... then I will tell you a little known secret. (Whispering) But you gotta' promise not to tell anyone else.

.... ......... .... ....  .......... .... .... .eah r..ly it works!!!

-the Pig

• Like 1

I keep LTA stock out of my large humidors and in a coolador in the basement. Always cooler temps in the basement, nothing has a better sealed or is more stable than a coolador. Also, they are away from temptation because I'm not looking in that one every day deciding what to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

That really is an amazing looking cabinet . Where did you find that beauty? As far as aging, I have the boxes I want to age in one wineador and mostly singles that are banded(box codes/dates) in the other. I have a hard time with aging because nothing in my wineadors are off limits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind support everyone. Yeah I still have a lot of buying before it fills up and I don't smoke that often so most of my cigars already have between 3-7 years of rest already from my other two small humidors. The cabinet is from the late 1800s, I picked it up when I was stationed in German for around 500 bucks. It's British and has a carving of a guy smoking a pipe on it. I was going to build a box within a box but said screw it and went for the Spanish cedar lining and glass to seal everything up. I have a butlers pantry that it sits in that I will be converting to cigar and wine closet with a glass door 

• Like 1

simply beautiful. I have cabinet envy.  

one thing that I would note is that I don't see how the air will flow between levels. From photos, it looks like shelves go all the way to the back and sides.  I would suggest some holes in the shelves at a minimum.  Office supply store or home improvement store should have some ventilation louvored grills to cover the holes.

• Like 2

I wish I had the storage to properly organize my boxes, but as it is, I have two coolers crammed to the gills , and a third one just getting started. I'd love to have a large tower-like centralized unit, but I currently don't have anywhere to put it and the coolers are cheap....got all three for a combined $25 from craigslist and the local thrift store.

My desktop is a 150 count Savoy that I got for $50, thanks again craigslist, and holds the remains of my NCs and a few stray CC singles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocketman64 said:

simply beautiful. I have cabinet envy.  

one thing that I would note is that I don't see how the air will flow between levels. From photos, it looks like shelves go all the way to the back and sides.  I would suggest some holes in the shelves at a minimum.  Office supply store or home improvement store should have some ventilation louvored grills to cover the holes.

I still have Spanish cedar planks to buy so I can make some shelves. No they don't go all the way back but when I make the Spanish cedar shelves I definitely will slot it.