Storage techniques for in humidor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   its been a long long while since I last posted but I finally am finishing up sealing up my humidor and had a question. How do you all stack/store your cigars? Do you separate by age

I keep LTA stock out of my large humidors and in a coolador in the basement. Always cooler temps in the basement, nothing has a better sealed or is more stable than a coolador. Also, they are away fro

just fill it up till you can fit no more, rinse and repeat

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, RijkdeGooier said:

Much has already been said. 

Maybe it would be wise to rotate the boxes throughout the humidor to compensate for differences in Rh in various spots if applicable. 

I rotate the boxes every year or so for that reason.  Also make sure there's room around the humidification element and if you have fans that they are able to do their job.

• Like 1

There is a picture of my humidor on my profile  page which is a number of years old. I try to stack cigars by like sizes to try to maximize how many boxes I can fit in. I usually play rack and stack when I get any new boxes. If I have a box with five or less cigars I'll put bands on with date and box code and they go in the singles draw. I used to have two coolers as well, but I'm cutting back a bit in preparation for a move.gallery_1414_266_67510.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I am dealing with high humidity temps. At first I thought my hygrometers were off but after buying a new set it confirmed that it's too high so I removed the two trays that I had in the upper levels. Im hoping that it solves the issues I also lowered my setting on the oasis to 63. 

I have mine currently separated simply by NC and Cuban.  All the shelves are almost at the exact same RH so I figure it doesn't matter. I have a few pulled out from every box and in Spanish Cedar trays so I can leave the boxes be.  
That cabinet is amazing looking by the way.  The only thing I'd say is be careful with those hygrometers. I have had 3, two were wildly off by 5 and 6 points. I love the size of their display though.

In 3 tiers:
Everyday smokes on top
Partials and NCs in the middle.
Full boxes for ageing in the bottom
Make sure the humidor is sealed and the door weather stripped to keep that humidity in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, n0s4atu said:

I have mine currently separated simply by NC and Cuban.  All the shelves are almost at the exact same RH so I figure it doesn't matter. I have a few pulled out from every box and in Spanish Cedar trays so I can leave the boxes be.  
That cabinet is amazing looking by the way.  The only thing I'd say is be careful with those hygrometers. I have had 3, two were wildly off by 5 and 6 points. I love the size of their display though.

I hope That's not the case here. I bought for a more accurate reading... I guess I will be getting that sensor push... 

19 hours ago, Versus1ss said:

I hope That's not the case here. I bought for a more accurate reading... I guess I will be getting that sensor push... 

Those sensor push ones are really cool.  I'll have to do some more research I've got 6 Xikar PuroTemps in mine going to 2 desktop monitors. 

• Like 1

So I can't  seem to get the temp below 68... any ideas how to achieve this... the two options I see are remove a portion of beads or to turn off the aux fans. I have lowered my oasis to 53 degrees so that it basically is rarely on. 

Jumping in on this topic with a related question...my New Air is now officially full...very tight.

I use to be a stickler for cracking open boxes but now find that my Oasis XL is keeping them properly humidified without them being cracked.

Your thoughts on how much if any a CC dress box has to be "cracked" open?

Thanks to all who reply.

From what I read and I may be wrong the consensus is that a closed box allows for more consistent temp due to the less air flow and also slows down the aging process. 

• Like 1

" userid="649"] Jumping in on this topic with a related question...my New Air is now officially full...very tight.

I use to be a stickler for cracking boxes but now find that my Oasis XL is keeping them properly humidified without them being cracked.

Your thoughts on how much if any a CC dress box has to be "cracked"?

Thanks to all who reply.

Have never cracked a dress box or cab and never had reason to think I should. The only thing I crack would be a jar like the Noella jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Now let me jump in with yet another question (and very sorry for the hijack!).  I don't crack my boxes either, but another question I have always wondered about is whether it is safe to stack boxes uniformly on top of one another or whether I should stagger or criss cross them in some way.  If a box top is completely covered by another box, will sufficient humidity still get in? For example, see those 5 stacked boxes of dip cuban regionals - is it ok to stack them that way?

IMG_0116.thumb.JPG.bfd3f39d68f82823cdb0db68707db93e.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 10:23 PM, peckinpahhombre said:

OK, clearly I have no clue how to post a pic here right size up, lol.

It shows the right way when u click on it. Most of the pics of humidors I have seen focus more on cramming as much boxes in the humidors as possible (Tetris ) so stacking tactics doesn't seem to be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Versus1ss said:

Most of the pics of humidors I have seen focus more on cramming as much boxes in the humidors as possible (Tetris ) so stacking tactics doesn't seem to be an issue. 

Ain't that the truth.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...