Online Coffee Vendors

Hamaki

I'm starting a coffee club at work and would love to hear opinions/suggestions for high quality coffee vendors that have an online store.  It's clear a lot of people here seek out fine cigars so I'm sure plenty also do the same for coffee.      

What are your favorite beans  and where do you usually get them?

There are tons of options for online coffee ordering. Looking to sample a variety of coffees? MistoBox has a curated subscription option. There are others like it, but Misto has a good thing going. You select preferences and frequency and they send you good coffee. 

I went through subscriptions like this before and it can be fun. Now I prefer to support a local coffee shop and buy their coffee consistently. I like to support smaller and local businesses when possible. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fabes said:

There are tons of options for online coffee ordering. Looking to sample a variety of coffees? MistoBox has a curated subscription option. There are others like it, but Misto has a good thing going. You select preferences and frequency and they send you good coffee. 

I went through subscriptions like this before and it can be fun. Now I prefer to support a local coffee shop and buy their coffee consistently. I like to support smaller and local businesses when possible. 

Definitely plenty of options online. The last place I lived I bought exclusively from a local shop and their stuff rocked. Where I live now doesn't really offer that or have any large vendors such as Costco. 

I've used stumptown coffee in the past but looking for something new. 

I'd look for a roaster somewhat close to you. Freshness is so important, if you're on the west coAst and ordering from somewhere on the east coast it can add several days to shipping which will cost you freshness. If you're not buying from a local roaster its at least worth looking for someone within a short shipping difference. 

When I lived in Los Angeles I ordered from Klatch. I still love their coffee but what used to take one day to ship now takes five now that I'm on the other side of the country. 

• Like 2

I buy from Killer Beans Coffee.

Jerry posts on another cigar forum I belong to, and has great deals pretty regularly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kamera said:

I'd look for a roaster somewhat close to you. Freshness is so important, if you're on the west coAst and ordering from somewhere on the east coast it can add several days to shipping which will cost you freshness. If you're not buying from a local roaster its at least worth looking for someone within a short shipping difference. 

When I lived in Los Angeles I ordered from Klatch. I still love their coffee but what used to take one day to ship now takes five now that I'm on the other side of the country. 

Oh man. I miss Klatch. I try to stop there when I visit family now. Great coffee, and the espresso is delicious!

• Like 1

I really like Kicking Horse Coffee out of BC Canada. You can buy on Amazon. I gave small bags as Christmas presents to family members last year and I hooked the entire family -- as they all reordered for themselves after the gifts ran out. The Kick Ass blend is my favorite -- it's a killer dark roast. I highly recommend them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Blue Bottle Coffee is outstanding.  The real deal.  A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.  Shipped within a day or two of roasting, bags properly dated, and great blends and single origin offerings.  Highly recommended.

Also, excellent to enjoy in person when in San Francisco!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, scap99 said:

I buy from Killer Beans Coffee.

Jerry posts on another cigar forum I belong to, and has great deals pretty regularly.

I ordered from him and the beans were good, but after shipping it was well in the $20's a lb. and not worth it IMO.    For me, I would not pay over $15 delivered no matter how good it was.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I ordered from him and the beans were good, but after shipping it was well in the $20's a lb. and not worth it IMO.    For me, I would not pay over $15 delivered no matter how good it was.

I agree, for a pound at a time, it is painful.

I just had a pound delivered for $21usd.  normally, I order a few pounds to ease the pain, when he runs a sale, but this time it was a one pounder.  

17 minutes ago, scap99 said:

I just had a pound delivered for $21usd.  normally, I order a few pounds to ease the pain, when he runs a sale, but this time it was a one pounder.  

If his coffee was $12-15 lb delivered I would be interested, but Peets and Mayorga coffee is $7 lb it's too hard to say no. 

• Like 1

shipping is going to be constant among vendors.

Killer Beans  does a great job, and they have a Cocoa mix called Big Tuba that is world class.

Ingredients like ginger, hot pepper, it really has a ton of character, and if memory serves, it is around $8.00 for something over a pound.

So, if you want a really good coffee, expect to pay $15.00 a pound or so, unless you roast your own.

The green beans I use sell for $6 to $8 a pound, and with shipping this can add a couple dollars a pound to 8.00 to 10.00 a pound.

When you figure that in,you have to wonder about your $7.00 a pound roasted, ground, nearby superstore brands.

enjoy..............

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tel RNB said:

$21 a pound.....wow. Can't do that. or wouldn't do that.

2 lbs. bag of Peets at Costco is like $13; hard to beat that.  I don't see any benefit ordering online.  I like the Kirkland Guatemalan beans when they have them.  Mayorga Cuban Roast is great and even less money than the Peets!  We rotate between them all.  I don't like to do the same blend two bags in a row. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...