H.Upmann Connossieur B

14 hours ago, LOMTL said:

Gave a first go at Connie B today, had nice expectations for this beautiful vitola, shiny wrapper, great smell. Came from half a box (LTO OCT 20) I grabbed at a BM back in Nov 21, freshly opened then, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Opened on promising pastry notes, then herbaceous into hay to basically smoking hot air, "wait wait let's go back to the cake part" I thought.

Great construction, cigar was supple conserved at 65/65, smoked a tad fast, I usually get 90min out of similar vitolas, went in 75 min at usual pace. Disappointing overall, hope the rest of the box is better, could turn into expensive fire-starters otherwise 😅.

I was expecting a good smoke since HU is in my wheelhouse... To be continued.

Cheers folks

These are very pricey sticks to be that big of a disappointment. Hope the rest are better than this one. I really am hooked on the Conn#1, tons of flavor nice size and before prices went crazy could be had for $200/box. 

1 hour ago, SCgarman said:

These are very pricey sticks to be that big of a disappointment. Hope the rest are better than this one. I really am hooked on the Conn#1, tons of flavor nice size and before prices went crazy could be had for $200/box. 

Thanks for the tip! Basically paid just south of that for 1/2 box of Connie B... I'll try the #1 for sure. Cheers

Tried my first at a recent whisky & cigar tasting. From a 2019 box. The stick that was handed to me was quite soft at the foot down to about half way. And on inspection the loose filling was visible at the foot. So swapped it out for another. Much more firm and consistent.

Smoked lovely. Nice toasty slightly sweet. Lasted me 2 hrs.

At 45£ a stick here before the price hikes, I would expect every one to be perfect or replaced!

PXL_20220331_183041923_MP.jpg.3fcd80d1c875b722bb935b13affa5569.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LOMTL said:

Gave a first go at Connie B today, had nice expectations for this beautiful vitola, shiny wrapper, great smell. Came from half a box (LTO OCT 20) I grabbed at a BM back in Nov 21, freshly opened then, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Opened on promising pastry notes, then herbaceous into hay to basically smoking hot air, "wait wait let's go back to the cake part" I thought.

Great construction, cigar was supple conserved at 65/65, smoked a tad fast, I usually get 90min out of similar vitolas, went in 75 min at usual pace. Disappointing overall, hope the rest of the box is better, could turn into expensive fire-starters otherwise 😅.

I was expecting a good smoke since HU is in my wheelhouse... To be continued.

Cheers folks

Looking back at the Connie B's I've had, they're either a hit or a miss and your experience of nothing happening for half a stick is not uncommon. I've upped the % on some before smoking it and it has worked well, and I prefer them with a big of more age on them generally. At least a year. Hope the other ones you have are better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heels82 said:

Do you like Tabasco or Texas Pete?  

Tabasco yes, for bloody Mary’s or breakfast only. Hadn’t ever heard of Texas Pete, but now I’m intrigued & ordered a 3 pack sampler. 

And to tie this all up, I love Upmann cigars. They’re GREAT! 

D30D9E0E-8367-488B-B876-8A28E5BBE418.png

2 hours ago, Heels82 said:

Do you like Tabasco or Texas Pete?  

Nothing like tobasco on eggs. Texas pete is too mild (wimpy). I like sauce with oomph!

I recently revisited my 2018 box of Bs.  For me a very enjoyable medium bodied, flavorful experience. 

Love them when I first got ‘em; then went flat flavorwise.  Seem to be coming out of the dead-period at about 3 years.

• Like 4