Age old question, but would like opinions

Hi, happy Saturday here in the US.

I was keeping this at 72ish humidity...i have 25 sticks in this 50 stick desktop. But it's dropped off since one or two bovedas slowly expired...some folks here I believe said 72 was too high anyway...what say all you fine folks to this image...66% and 70 degrees...ive got 25 PSP2 in there.

Thanks for the opinions all!!

66d71552e5de4e4731231baf08bd7fed.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

For me, 66% is still too high. I keep mine between 60-62%. I imagine there are some people in the FOH community with much more experience than myself who hover around 66% though. Most people will probably tell you to just experiment a little to find out what suites your tastes best

• Like 4

+/- 62% and 65 degrees always worked best for me. I personally feel 70 degrees is too high, and I guess you could get by with 66% if they smoke well for you. A lil damp imo...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I prefer to keep mine at 68% - so your not too far off.  Just run out and grab another Boveda !

That being said, the glass top humis are notorious for leakage - did you seal around the edges of the glass?

• Like 1

Also as far as Bodeva packs go, I've had good luck recharging mine. I just put some distilled water in a small dish, then put the dish and dry Bodeva packs in a ziplock. In a week or so they should be all recharged. I'm not sure if they are meant to work in this fashion, but it has worked well for me

• Like 2

I prefer to keep mine at 68% - so your not too far off.  Just run out and grab another Boveda !

That being said, the glass top humis are notorious for leakage - did you seal around the edges of the glass?

Haven't sealed. Have owned a for about 3 years now, and I find at first it was leaky, now it has settled down...its stable.

The temperature is actually harder for me to deal w than humidity...i live in a steam heat apartment, in New York...so winter is tough here, I can keep my windows open and freeze just to get the temp down to 60's. Summer, well I have air conditioning so that is sometimes a better time of year

I have hot water heated radiators in my house as well.  Its actually supposedly better than forced air as it won't remove what little humidity is in the air during the winter months.  I wouldn't overthink it too much - ya do the best ya can.  Cigars were meant to de-stress and enjoy - not stress over =)

• Like 1

I have hot water heated radiators in my house as well.  Its actually supposedly better than forced air as it won't remove what little humidity is in the air during the winter months.  I wouldn't overthink it too much - ya do the best ya can.  Cigars were meant to de-stress and enjoy - not stress over =)

I'm just waiting for the first nice day outside to smoke...its still very much early spring here...

20 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

I think you will find CC's burn & taste better if stored between 60%~65% @ ~68-70dF. I keep mine @ 60-62%@70df. 

Same here. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I have read many posts of folks reporting rh and temp values. Often whats in the back of my mind... maybe lost in their translation is the accuracy of the devices and calibration procedures. 

Add drift to our instrumentation...and the differences of our smoking micro environments... well what actual condition other folks cigars are and their smoking environment compared to yours is a crap shoot.

Its best to experiment with your own cigars smoking condition with respect to your smoking environment and go on taste alone. Also, realize that without one of piggys systems... its alway in a state of flux.

So, take these reports with a big grain of salt... as they might not work for you.

• Like 1

I did a little experimentation and found that wrappers got a bit too brittle around 58% RH at 66F (+/- a couple degrees for normal diurnal variation).  After only a couple years doing this, I've narrowed my optimal range in somewhere between 62% and 66%.  

I'm currently running toward the upper end of this, around 65.5% at the moment, because my ambient humidity is often around 40% most of the time, and cigars seem to come down a bit upon exiting the humidor and during the smoke. If I lived in Australia or somewhere with naturally higher ambient humidity, I'd probably keep my humidor somewhat lower, to give cigars a "negative humidity buffer" upon coming out to smoke.  I have no idea if this is significant or not.  Experimentation continues. :) 

• Like 4

On 04/02/2017 at 1:02 AM, itstricky said:

I was keeping this at 72ish humidity.

I began by keeping my CC's at the classic 70%/70° in a desktop humidor at the recommendation of my local B&M. I found the cigars were too moist and the flavour was dulled. On advice from some FOH regulars I lowered the rH to around 62 and started dry boxing for 48hrs. The difference was huge and the cigars were back to their best, for my taste anyway.

• Like 1

Try dryboxing a few before you smoke them. That is, in a leather smaller pack or similar plastic container with no moisture. Does not matter if it is one day or five. It it gets beyond that, put them back.

This gets them great for lighting and even fire from starte to finish.

CB

• Like 2

I keep mine between 60-63%. 65+% is too high IMHO. Ditch 70% and let'er drop. You'll get less 'steam' from the cigar and more 'smoke/flavor' at a lower RH. Also fewer plugged cigars. Those rascals swell up like Violet from Willy Wonka at high RH. Check out my Noob Thread (below if interested in some other tips).

Cheers!

e0869095145d679c238b85387af7208a.jpg

• Like 2

Eventually you get to the point where you can tell by the look and feel of the cigars when they are in the sweet spot. My wineador sits around 60df/65rh and my desktop which I smoke out of is +\- 65df/62rh. If a cigar is too dry, it feels light in the hand, the wrapper looks sickly and it sounds like dried up leaves cracking when rolled between the fingers. On the other hand, too wet has a different feel to it as well. Once you define what your ideal rh is, start paying attention to what the cigar looks, feels and smells like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 01/04/2017 at 3:16 PM, itstricky said:

Haven't sealed. Have owned a for about 3 years now, and I find at first it was leaky, now it has settled down...its stable.

The temperature is actually harder for me to deal w than humidity...i live in a steam heat apartment, in New York...so winter is tough here, I can keep my windows open and freeze just to get the temp down to 60's. Summer, well I have air conditioning so that is sometimes a better time of year

Why not freeze all your stock then temperature worry (Beetles) is something you don't have to worry about anymore?

After that as long as your humidors are air tight, you're reasonably set unless you get serious extremes in temp enough to really effect the humidity

Why not freeze all your stock then temperature worry (Beetles) is something you don't have to worry about anymore?

After that as long as your humidors are air tight, you're reasonably set unless you get serious extremes in temp enough to really effect the humidity

Freezing is something that has been generally agreed upon as harmless but to the beetles/larvae?
I've read about it, but am new enough to worry that I'm damaging sticks...could you explore this for me?

1 hour ago, itstricky said:

Freezing is something that has been generally agreed upon as harmless but to the beetles/larvae?
I've read about it, but am new enough to worry that I'm damaging sticks...could you explore this for me?

Freezing won't hurt the sticks, but do it the right way.  Search on this forum.  Plenty of info from other members, and good advice from EL Pres.

• Like 1