Roll Your Own ......

https://www.leafonly.com/index.php

I didn't realise just how much loose leaf was available for purchase in the US. 

Locally it is big business to run boutique brewery workshops where punters brew their own beer. 

Imagine such a workshop at the linked store. Spend a day or two working out your own blends, and then ordering a few hundred of your favourite vitolas. hell, put it together with a wine/food weekend extravaganza :ok:

• Like 2

Owl Shop in New Haven Conn. which is a cigar store w/drink and food sells loose tabac by wieght so you can

mix and match what you desire.  Check the oline site and see what is offered by this one in a million

place,  A cigar smokers delight the place is.  Not many places left that at least not in Conn. that has

this wide range of offerings.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

https://www.leafonly.com/index.php

I didn't realise just how much loose leaf was available for purchase in the US. 

Locally it is big business to run boutique brewery workshops where punters brew their own beer. 

Imagine such a workshop at the linked store. Spend a day or two working out your own blends, and then ordering a few hundred of your favourite vitolas. hell, put it together with a wine/food weekend extravaganza :ok:

Brew your own beer?
Is that like those "fancy" restaurants where they bring you a really hot rock and you cook your own steak?

I know Drew Estate offer "Cigar Safari" in Nicaragua at their factory a couple times a year where you sit a blending workshop and at the end of the trip you take home a bundle of cigars that are your own personally blend. As a DE fan I've always liked the idea of heading stateside, jumping on a Cigar Safari trip and then finishing the trip off with a week in Cuba.

A mans gotta have a dream, I guess 

• Like 4

I've got some tobacco plants growing right now.  No intention of using for smoking just growin for the hell of it.  I like that these guys take a lot of the processing out of the mix. That's the big reason I plan on doing nothing with my tobacco plants other than just enjoy looking st em.  I smoke a pipe on occasion and would love to make my own blends

• Like 3

I got about 3 pounds of different tobacco from wrapper from Nicaragua to ligero from Brazil, got it all from leafonly.com I wanted to roll my own but haven't done it yet, I just don't think I can roll a dalia or a Salomon which are my favorite size cigars.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gusmab980 said:

I got about 3 pounds of different tobacco from wrapper from Nicaragua to ligero from Brazil, got it all from leafonly.com I wanted to roll my own but haven't done it yet, I just don't think I can roll a dalia or a Salomon which are my favorite size cigars.

You'll never know until you give it a go! Some decent tutorials on the net. Just wish it was legal here in the nanny republic!

• Like 3

I am sure cigar rolling takes a lot of practice, but from watching some of the videos on youtube, I have no doubt it is something that can be learned. For me, it's not something I currently have interest in, but I think it's great that Leaf Only has so many varieties of cigar leaf available. What I wouldn't mind is getting some to make a pipe tobacco blend with.

I recently gave up smoking cigarettes, but I'd made the switch to handrolling my own a while back. There's no shortage of leaf available, and in addition to cost savings, the flavor was out of this world. My preferred cigarette blend was about 75% Halfzware (50/50 Dark-Fired Kentucky and Virginia) and about 25 of a turkish/oriental blend. Ultimately, watching some older relatives go through some really crappy cigarette-related health issues scared me straight. Now I use Swedish Snus, which I don't enjoy nearly as much, but hopefully will spare my lungs a bit.

Edited by Danimalia
  • Like 2

I am sure cigar rolling takes a lot of practice, but from watching some of the videos on youtube, I have no doubt it is something that can be learned. For me, it's not something I currently have interest in, but I think it's great that Leaf Only has so many varieties of cigar leaf available. What I wouldn't mind is getting some to make a pipe tobacco blend with.

I recently gave up smoking cigarettes, but I'd made the switch to handrolling my own a while back. There's no shortage of leaf available, and in addition to cost savings, the flavor was out of this world. My preferred cigarette blend was about 75% Halfzware (50/50 Dark-Fired Kentucky and Virginia) and about 25 of a turkish/oriental blend. Ultimately, watching some older relatives go through some really crappy cigarette-related health issues scared me straight. Now I use Swedish Snus, which I don't enjoy nearly as much, but hopefully will spare my lungs a bit.

Have you tried snuff? It's what I have been using for the last couple years. It's dirt cheap. And I enjoy sniffing things up my nose lol. Works out well.
I have tried snus but just didn't really like it at all.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm on another forum. They have a thread about rolling cigars, leaf information and such. Some of those guys can roll a great looking cigar. One of them was kind enough to send me a few of hist sticks. The one I've had so far was real damn good. Smooth and none of that NC pepper bomb. He is using Nicaraguan tobacco and I believe Brazilian. Its interesting to read their posts because they get deep into the mixture/recipe and share that knowledge. 

I would like to try but I have an OCD. When I start something I go full tilt. I love to fish. Started fly fishing. A rod/reel simply wasn't enough. Before long I was spending hours at my table tying my own flies, more than I could ever use. 

Now when I get into something my lovely wife simply says "Is this the new one?". Oh well...at least she knows me and tolerates it, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2017 at 8:27 PM, Cep said:

Have you tried snuff? It's what I have been using for the last couple years. It's dirt cheap. And I enjoy sniffing things up my nose lol. Works out well.
I have tried snus but just didn't really like it at all.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I have tried snuff. Yeah, that taking a sniff and getting a jolt of energy provides an interesting bit of reinforcement. Brings back memories. And it's super cheap. I should probably try some more, but I didn't like the sinus issues of some of the easier to take, courser snuffs, and the finer grinds like the SPs and Indian whites burned the hell out of me,

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if there are any tax consequencies to rolling your own cigars?  I remember a while ago all these roll your own cigarette shops popped up around here.  When I inquired about them, I was told that people could roll their own cigars and avoid some of the government taxes associated with buying cigarettes from a merchant.   Also, I have been to a few places where they have a cigar roller making cigars.  There used to be a place in Oakbrook Mall that always had a couple guys rolling cigars in the back.  That always seemed more as novelty than something boutique.  

Also, I wonder how tobacco from different regions would taste.  Would the soils of the Napa valley be good for cigars.  Would the volcanic soil of Hawaii would produce a different flavor.  I believe that Canary Islands were used for Dunhill cigars for a while.

• Like 1

I would pay a good amount for a sampler that contained small portions of different leaf varieties (different seeds, shade vs sungrown, seco/ligero/volado).  Maybe have 50 different varieties.  Would help in understanding the contribution of those varieties to blends. 

13 hours ago, PartagasIV said:

Rolled my first cigar last month after a tutorial, and of course I had to roll a lancero.  Bunching wasn't 100% but I was pretty pleased!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Favorite size.  When do you open up shop on line (sorry prez does this constitute talking about another retailer? ?)

On 4/22/2017 at 4:19 PM, PartagasIV said:

Rolled my first cigar last month after a tutorial, and of course I had to roll a lancero.  Bunching wasn't 100% but I was pretty pleased!

FullSizeRender.jpg

That looks great!  What leaves did you use for this?

• 3 weeks later...