Roll Your Own ......

I got a much later start than mwaller but I just planted my seeds today, Habano 2000, connecticut shade leaf, and a packet of seeds called vuelta abajo. not expecting to roll anything awesome with it but it should be fun for the summer.

EDIT: 72 plants total, will eventually be 2 foot spacing between plants and 3 feet between rows. split into 2 different locations to see which has better soil. I still need to get a PH test of both spots to get a better idea of how to fertilize 

I've been rolling my own cigars for over a year now. Love mixing up different filler , binder and wrapper combinations. You have the opportunity to tweak at that point. Smoke them fresh or put them down for a few months. I don't pay any taxes on the loose leaf (yet)! Give it a try. No real experience needed. Great tutorials on YouTube. Great hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/4/2017 at 9:45 PM, Jimmy_jack said:

I'm on another forum. They have a thread about rolling cigars, leaf information and such. Some of those guys can roll a great looking cigar. One of them was kind enough to send me a few of hist sticks. The one I've had so far was real damn good. Smooth and none of that NC pepper bomb. He is using Nicaraguan tobacco and I believe Brazilian. Its interesting to read their posts because they get deep into the mixture/recipe and share that knowledge. 

I would like to try but I have an OCD. When I start something I go full tilt. I love to fish. Started fly fishing. A rod/reel simply wasn't enough. Before long I was spending hours at my table tying my own flies, more than I could ever use. 

Now when I get into something my lovely wife simply says "Is this the new one?". Oh well...at least she knows me and tolerates it, lol.

Oh come on, man, give it a try! ;)

On 4/4/2017 at 6:12 PM, Gusmab980 said:

I got about 3 pounds of different tobacco from wrapper from Nicaragua to ligero from Brazil, got it all from leafonly.com I wanted to roll my own but haven't done it yet, I just don't think I can roll a dalia or a Salomon which are my favorite size cigars.

Salomons are tricky but a dalia is your basic lonsdale. You can definitely roll one, if you have any of that leaf lying around 2 years later....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
7 minutes ago, Nico said:

Just started to roll my own cigars. How long to you let them rest before smoking?

That is entirely up to you!  If your raw materials aren't too wet, you should be able to smoke one a day after rolling.  They will change significantly over the next month.  Beyond that, I have no idea...

• Thanks 2

That is entirely up to you!  If your raw materials aren't too wet, you should be able to smoke one a day after rolling.  They will change significantly over the next month.  Beyond that, I have no idea...

A day seems a little too soon. The first cigar had really moist raw material, the others not so much. I want the cigars to acclimate to 69%. Should 2 weeks be enough then?

8 hours ago, Nico said:

A day seems a little too soon. The first cigar had really moist raw material, the others not so much. I want the cigars to acclimate to 69%. Should 2 weeks be enough then?

If the filler is moist, it can take a really long time to dry down.  You may want to dry box the sticks for a week before putting them in the humidor.  The filler should be no wetter than necessary to keep it from cracking badly when you roll.  

Out of curiosity, how are you rolling the filler?  Entubado?  

14 hours ago, mwaller said:
If the filler is moist, it can take a really long time to dry down.  You may want to dry box the sticks for a week before putting them in the humidor.  The filler should be no wetter than necessary to keep it from cracking badly when you roll.   Out of curiosity, how are you rolling the filler?  Entubado?

Yes, I’m rolling classic robustos in entubado style and I use double binders. The hardest part is to spray the leaves with the appropriate amount of water, and putting on the caps. I’ll post a pic of the sticks tomorrow when I’m home if anyone is curious. My sticks looks nowhere near as good as yours tho. Really beautiful sticks you have there.

Pic of my recently rolled cigars. They’re nowhere near Mwaller cigars tho.

TC stands for tripa corta. Shortfiller rolled with scraps from my other cigars.

Edit: I haven’t bothered cutting the foot properly since they’re not for show and will not be gifted to anyone.

4e106913def4e25d10eed50cff7b5965.jpg

• Like 1