I still think Indians fans are upset at Cubs fans because a lot of those "friends" of mine are rooting for the Nationals.  Glad to see we didn't see any sweeps last night.  I like good series even if my Cubbies are involved.  Tonight will be a true test on the Cubs end with the pitching and hitting.  Quintana has been excellent and will continue that tonight.  I do not agree with sitting Happ tonight but we will see how it pans out.  I have a feeling that Cleveland might get themselves in trouble like they did last year pitching their starts on such short rest.  These playoffs are still up in the air and it's going to be a fight to the end!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hoping the Tribe gets it done this season. We were so close last year.

The Yankees will be lucky to be in 4th place in the AL East The Houston Astro's will win the AL west.  The Mariners might compete for a wild card spot, I see them finishing closer to .500 thoug

Hardly any love for my Tribe..that's typical.. They have the team to win a WS.. We shall see...Go Tribe. 

3 hours ago, CrankYanker said:

I still think Indians fans are upset at Cubs fans because a lot of those "friends" of mine are rooting for the Nationals.  Glad to see we didn't see any sweeps last night.  I like good series even if my Cubbies are involved.  Tonight will be a true test on the Cubs end with the pitching and hitting.  Quintana has been excellent and will continue that tonight.  I do not agree with sitting Happ tonight but we will see how it pans out.  I have a feeling that Cleveland might get themselves in trouble like they did last year pitching their starts on such short rest.  These playoffs are still up in the air and it's going to be a fight to the end!

Indians got themselves in trouble last year because they didn't have Carrasco and Bauer in the WS.  Their rotation was Kluber, Tomlin, and whatever else they could scrape together.  This year, they have Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco, Tomlin, Clevinger, and even Salazar if they wanted a few innings and then going to the bullpen.

A depleted starting rotation is the least of their concerns, the big concern is scoring runs and getting better AB's.  Too many lousy AB's yesterday.  Umpires have struggled with consistency and the guys have taken to swinging at crap.  It's a nasty habit.  Yankees had the same problem in game 1.  

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

Another great day of postseason Baseball today and potentially for tomorrow when all 8 teams playoff for a chance to participate in the National League Championship Series and American League Championship Series.

I really enjoyed the pitchers duel in Game 3 of the Yankees-Tribes series. Who would have guess that Andrew Miller would give up a home run to Greg Bird. My how Tribe fans would love Aroldis Chapman to give up a home run in return. In fact, I think Tribe fans would like to see the back of Aroldis Chapman, in light of last year's World Series.

Can the Diamondbacks avoid a sweep? Who will go 2-1 up between the Cubs and Nationals and can the Yankees and Red Sox force a Game 5?

All you need to know about Aroldis Chapman I learned from asking about him in Havana.  As anyone who has been to Cuba knows, they revere their ex-pats in the MLB as if they grew up down the street from them.  Their eyes light up when you mention Yoenis Cespedes or Kendrys Morales.

Ask any Cuban who loves baseball what they think of Aroldis and they clam up and look at their feet.  Prod them and they'll tell you, in their own special way, that he's always been an asshole, long before the story about choking out his girlfriend.  I had a solid half dozen conversations and not one person had a nice thing to say about Aroldis Chapman.  Because he's a world-renowned jerk.  

• Like 1

Well, I don't doubt you at all, in fact, I look forward to how the new Mets Manager will handle Yoenis Céspedes' 'temperamentalness' too next year.

We are one innings away from Houston advancing to the ALCS. I think the last time they made the Championship Series was when Clemens and Petitte pitched for them.

• Like 1

Wow what a game with the Cubs and Nats today. Scherzer pitched a heck of a game and then gave up the Zobrist hit which lead to Almora getting a hit then Rizzo with the game winning bloop. Wade Davis looked great coming in to get the last 3 batters out.  Go Cubs Go!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CrankYanker said:

Wow what a game with the Cubs and Nats today. Scherzer pitched a heck of a game and then gave up the Zobrist hit which lead to Almora getting a hit then Rizzo with the game winning bloop. Wade Davis looked great coming in to get the last 3 batters out.  Go Cubs Go!

Well Max Scherzer said before the game that he was good for 100 pitches, coming back from injury, and that double came off his 98th pitch (I think). Up until then he had a no-hitter. I wonder if Dusty Baker should have let him see out the inning? I agree that Wade Davis oozes confidence when he closes in the postseason.

Are we all excited for tomorrow? Game 4 will start at 5.30 pm ET. Los Angeles are there already after sweeping Arizona today.

And Game 5 of the New York-Cleveland series will be decided on Wednesday at 8 pm ET. What a game that should turn out to be! The winner will meet Houston in the ALCS.

16 hours ago, JohnInCleveland said:

All you need to know about Aroldis Chapman I learned from asking about him in Havana.  As anyone who has been to Cuba knows, they revere their ex-pats in the MLB as if they grew up down the street from them.  Their eyes light up when you mention Yoenis Cespedes or Kendrys Morales.

Ask any Cuban who loves baseball what they think of Aroldis and they clam up and look at their feet.  Prod them and they'll tell you, in their own special way, that he's always been an asshole, long before the story about choking out his girlfriend.  I had a solid half dozen conversations and not one person had a nice thing to say about Aroldis Chapman.  Because he's a world-renowned jerk.  

There have long been rumors in baseball circles that both Chapman and Yasiel Puig ratted out innocent people when they were caught trying to defect.  They basically (allegedly) made deals with the government to feed them names of people involved in defecting, in exchange for being allowed to continue to play for the national team.  Supposedly they sold out close friends and family members.  Regardless of whether or not any of it is true, I gather a lot of people in Cuba believe it.  

I was never comfortable with Chapman as a Cub last year.  I obviously wanted him to perform well, but there were more than enough questions about his character to keep from trusting him.  They definitely needed a hammer at the back of the bullpen, and he got the job done.  Even after blowing the save in Game 7, which can be attributed at least in part to how Maddon used him, he came back out and pitched a 1-2-3 9th.  So, credit where it's due.  But he never felt like anything more than a mercenary.  I'm glad the Cubs didn't make an effort to re-sign him.  I'm much happier they ended up with Davis.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

Well Max Scherzer said before the game that he was good for 100 pitches, coming back from injury, and that double came off his 98th pitch (I think). Up until then he had a no-hitter. I wonder if Dusty Baker should have let him see out the inning? I agree that Wade Davis oozes confidence when he closes in the postseason.

Are we all excited for tomorrow? Game 4 will start at 5.30 pm ET. Los Angeles are there already after sweeping Arizona today.

And Game 5 of the New York-Cleveland series will be decided on Wednesday at 8 pm ET. What a game that should turn out to be! The winner will meet Houston in the ALCS.

Who knows what would have happened if Max stayed in.  Dusty Baker made the call. I am excited. We have Arrieta going who has dealt with his own hamstring issues. Should be a great game.  I will be leaving work early to mow the lawn so I can catch the game.  

You leave your $200 million dollar ace in. He argued with crusty the clown that he wanted to stay in and finish the inning (that's Scherzer's MO). But no, crusty pulled him and put in a pos reliever that has been crap all season instead of Kintzler or Madson. If the Nets lose this series (and they probably will now), Mike Rizzo will be looking for a new manager. Just a dumb and stupid decision.

19 hours ago, JohnInCleveland said:

Indians got themselves in trouble last year because they didn't have Carrasco and Bauer in the WS.  Their rotation was Kluber, Tomlin, and whatever else they could scrape together.  This year, they have Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco, Tomlin, Clevinger, and even Salazar if they wanted a few innings and then going to the bullpen.

A depleted starting rotation is the least of their concerns, the big concern is scoring runs and getting better AB's.  Too many lousy AB's yesterday.  Umpires have struggled with consistency and the guys have taken to swinging at crap.  It's a nasty habit.  Yankees had the same problem in game 1.  

They pitched Bauer in Game 4 and now Kluber Game 5. They need more depth in starting pitching. It's what happened last year in the WS. Cubs have a 4 person rotation, 5 if you include Lackey/Montgomery in the bullpen.  I wish your team luck but tired pitching will be the achilles heel again. I understand you use what you need to for a win like the Cubs did with Chapman last year. We rented him and gave him back with a tired arm to the NYY. I don't think he's that effective anymore. 

1 hour ago, alloy said:

You leave your $200 million dollar ace in. He argued with crusty the clown that he wanted to stay in and finish the inning (that's Scherzer's MO). But no, crusty pulled him and put in a pos reliever that has been crap all season instead of Kintzler or Madson. If the Nets lose this series (and they probably will now), Mike Rizzo will be looking for a new manager. Just a dumb and stupid decision.

The Cubs and Reds let Dusty go.  I wish the MLB would enforce a rule on how many clubs you can manage in a time period. Give some other guys a shot. Sandberg deserves another shot with a team he can work with this time.

8 hours ago, CrankYanker said:

They pitched Bauer in Game 4 and now Kluber Game 5. They need more depth in starting pitching. It's what happened last year in the WS. Cubs have a 4 person rotation, 5 if you include Lackey/Montgomery in the bullpen.  I wish your team luck but tired pitching will be the achilles heel again. I understand you use what you need to for a win like the Cubs did with Chapman last year. We rented him and gave him back with a tired arm to the NYY. I don't think he's that effective anymore. 

They have tons of depth at starting pitching.  Kluber is pitching on his normal rest, that's specifically why they used him in games 2 and 5 (with 2 additional travel days).  Carrasco was excellent, Bauer has been excellent since the ASB (and was doing well until errors dive bombed their last game), and Tomlin and Clevinger are also above average starting pitchers.  They arguably have the best rotation in baseball for a reason. 

They have the lowest starting ERA and bullpen ERA.  In the superior-hitting AL. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JohnInCleveland said:

They have tons of depth at starting pitching.  Kluber is pitching on his normal rest, that's specifically why they used him in games 2 and 5 (with 2 additional travel days).  Carrasco was excellent, Bauer has been excellent since the ASB (and was doing well until errors dive bombed their last game), and Tomlin and Clevinger are also above average starting pitchers.  They arguably have the best rotation in baseball for a reason. 

What he said ^ :D

12 hours ago, JohnInCleveland said:

I think he's referring to the fact that they threw Bauer on short rest in game 4.  It's easy to second guess that, but knowing you have your ace on normal rest for game 5, and seeing the way Bauer pitched game 1, I think it was probably the right call.  Bauer said he thought his stuff was as good or better in game 4, but to me his curve didn't look as nasty.  I'm sure the rain had a lot to do with that.  Last year injuries forced them into a short rotation.  This was more of a schedule issue.  I assume if they make it to the ALCS and WS, they'll go with a 4 man rotation.  Having the extra arms in the bullpen is nice in a short series, but in a 7 gamer they will want to make sure their starters get the right rest.

15 hours ago, JohnInCleveland said:

2 hours ago, wabashcr said:

I think he's referring to the fact that they threw Bauer on short rest in game 4.  It's easy to second guess that, but knowing you have your ace on normal rest for game 5, and seeing the way Bauer pitched game 1, I think it was probably the right call.  Bauer said he thought his stuff was as good or better in game 4, but to me his curve didn't look as nasty.  I'm sure the rain had a lot to do with that.  Last year injuries forced them into a short rotation.  This was more of a schedule issue.  I assume if they make it to the ALCS and WS, they'll go with a 4 man rotation.  Having the extra arms in the bullpen is nice in a short series, but in a 7 gamer they will want to make sure their starters get the right rest.

Correct.  The Indians have good pitching. I'm not discounting that at all, I just didn't know why Bauer went Game 4 and the team was not going with a 4 man rotation.  I just saw the same thing happen last year when the Indians starting pitching wore out late in the playoffs. 

Excited for the Cubs game today!

A fine win by the Nationals today. I guess Joe Maddon would be inclined to give Carl Edwards Jr a break from relief, at least for a little while? It's all-on-the-line tomorrow in Washington D.C. tomorrow Thursday at 8 pm Eastern Time.

Yanks with an early lead in the other ALDS decider against the Indians. Can they comeback from 2-0 down? It's still early in Game 5.

Watching the NY/Cleveland game with a Diplomaticos #2. Have to enjoy it while I can before the season goes and hibernates for the winter.

I am rooting for Cleveland, but this is as exciting and fun to watch as a Yankees team has been since the 95/96 teams. So I wouldn't be too disappointed if they won.

1 hour ago, Danimalia said:

Watching the NY/Cleveland game with a Diplomaticos #2. Have to enjoy it while I can before the season goes and hibernates for the winter.

I am rooting for Cleveland, but this is as exciting and fun to watch as a Yankees team has been since the 95/96 teams. So I wouldn't be too disappointed if they won.

Cubs are 2-0 in elimination games on the road. Bring it on! Hendricks will be going tomorrow.  Get Happ in the lineup. 

So disappointed to see Cleveland lose.  To get so close last year, only to come back this year with a better, more experienced, healthier team, to go out in the first round after leading 2-0?  Brutal.  Just goes to show how the MLB postseason can be a crap shoot.  Cleveland had a team that looked to be built for winning in October, with probably the best manager in the game, but you just never know, especially in a short series. 

If the Cubs lose tonight, I'll be all in with Houston.  I'm still pretty confident with Hendricks pitching, although it would have been nice to not have to use Lester yesterday.  Nats are certainly due for something to break their way in the postseason.  Should be fun.

I'll admit, the historical aspect of a Yankees/Dodgers World Series would be pretty cool, especially a year after Cubs/Indians.