Fishing suggestions


Recommended Posts

Good morning all,

 

Not exactly cigars, but a topic I'm hoping I can find some good advice on nonetheless. 

I'm planning a move to the Gulf Coast of Florida later this year. My folks already live there, and my father owns a small boat that we use to fish the Sarasota Bay when we can. Seeing as I'm moving yhere permanently, I think it's time I bought my own rods and reels. Dad is a bit more of a "go-to-West-Marine-and-buy-something" type of guy. I'd like to find some good advice on a good overall use set-up to start with. Eventually I'll have a rig for every situation, but one has to start somewhere. The target fish are trout, spanish mackerel, pompano, reds, sheepshead, etc. If anyone has any advice on spinning rigs, I'd love to hear from people that I have found to be very trustworthy. 

 

Best,

Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should mention that while I dont have unlimited funds, I'd sooner pay more and have a long lasting, good performing rig, than to replace it two years from now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shimano stradic. For what your saying the 3 or 4000. Spool with 15 or 20lb braid. Rod I'd go for a 7' or a 7'6. Fast action, medium or medium heavy power. Tons of options - but the shimano really is amazing. For half the price the new Daiwa BG 3000 is good- but my stradic are years old and flawlessly smooth. I've only had the new BG for a few months and while I like it; the stradic is better in every way. I have mine in local rod companies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was just about to say Stradic as well! For rods Loomis are very nice, St. Croix also has a wide range that includes some more moderately priced (but excellent) rods. And to agree again a 7'-7'6" fast action would be an ideal choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Hutch said:

Above advice re: Shimano Stradic (4000 size) is spot on. There are a couple more expensive lines in Shimano spinning reels, but the Stradic ought to suit your purposes. Since you will be in salt water, maintenance will be key as far as performance and longevity, no matter what you buy.  My personal preference for rods is GLoomis, but I fall to the more serious end of the spectrum. 

Thank you for the recommendation. Ive heard good things about the St. Croix Mojo, or Tidemaster. Any opinions om those?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MPfit said:

Shimano stradic. For what your saying the 3 or 4000. Spool with 15 or 20lb braid. Rod I'd go for a 7' or a 7'6. Fast action, medium or medium heavy power. Tons of options - but the shimano really is amazing. For half the price the new Daiwa BG 3000 is good- but my stradic are years old and flawlessly smooth. I've only had the new BG for a few months and while I like it; the stradic is better in every way. I have mine in local rod companies. 

Thank you!! This is exactly why i come to people I "know" for advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

Was just about to say Stradic as well! For rods Loomis are very nice, St. Croix also has a wide range that includes some more moderately priced (but excellent) rods. And to agree again a 7'-7'6" fast action would be an ideal choice. 

Lol. I just asked Hutch about the St. Croix Mojo or Tidemaster. It's good to hear that i wasn't far off with those. I had been looking at the Penn Spinnfisher V, but after this I may just change my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Tidemasters and Mojos are both solid rods. For the few extra bucks I prefer the Tidemaster. I have old Tidemasters that I have beaten the crap out of...they're a workhouse type of rod. Bit of a better quality reel seat I believe, full cork grip (I'm old school and prefer that, the split grip irks me a bit), and it will be a bit stiffer than a Mojo. Either would be great for what you want. As you build out your arsenal either rod will never go to waste (PS - as I try to count I have about 30 spinning rods between boat, surf, and jetty rods...and about 50 fly rods...I can buy all of the cigars I want no questions asked but I get "confused" looks from the Mrs when new rods show up so apparently they are a bigger "problem" for me than even cigars!!!) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

The Tidemasters and Mojos are both solid rods. For the few extra bucks I prefer the Tidemaster. I have old Tidemasters that I have beaten the crap out of...they're a workhouse type of rod. Bit of a better quality reel seat I believe, full cork grip (I'm old school and prefer that, the split grip irks me a bit), and it will be a bit stiffer than a Mojo. Either would be great for what you want. As you build out your arsenal either rod will never go to waste (PS - as I try to count I have about 30 spinning rods between boat, surf, and jetty rods...and about 50 fly rods...I can buy all of the cigars I want no questions asked but I get "confused" looks from the Mrs when new rods show up so apparently they are a bigger "problem" for me than even cigars!!!) 

My wife is great about letting me buy what i want. I expect no issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good advice here.  X4 on the Stratic, I use the 3000.

I prefer rods in fast action medium litght power for speckled trout and redfish.  Trout have soft mouths and you will catch more with a rod with a soft tip aka medium power or even medium light.

St Croix are great rods.  Gloomis are amazing as well.  There are cheaper rods with great warranty such as the Redbone hurricane rods and the Shimano rods are good value without suffering much loss in performance. 

Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, backbone said:

Good advice here.  X4 on the Stratic, I use the 3000.

I prefer rods in fast action medium litght power for speckled trout and redfish.  Trout have soft mouths and you will catch more with a rod with a soft tip aka medium power or even medium light.

St Croix are great rods.  Gloomis are amazing as well.  There are cheaper rods with great warranty such as the Redbone hurricane rods and the Shimano rods are good value without suffering much loss in performance. 

Good luck!

Thank you for this!! Its great to have such a unanimous vote. I love to saltwater fish, but unfortunately for me I live in the Midwest so I haven't been able to much except for when I viait my folks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty good advice. I think 4000 is way to large personally unless you're doing dock and surf fishing. Get a Pennfisher on a 7ft rod. One of the great things about the gulf coast is inshore and wade fishing. 20lb braid and 10lb flouro leader. Slay them all day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

Pretty good advice. I think 4000 is way to large personally unless you're doing dock and surf fishing. Get a Pennfisher on a 7ft rod. One of the great things about the gulf coast is inshore and wade fishing. 20lb braid and 10lb flouro leader. Slay them all day. 

I absolutely love the gulf coast. I've wanted to live there for years, and it looks like it's all gonna come true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Miller1985 said:

I absolutely love the gulf coast. I've wanted to live there for years, and it looks like it's all gonna come true. 

That's my plan as soon as I sell my business. Port Fourchon Louisiana bound!:thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.