Havana trip report

uscmd310

3 hours ago, amaxp81 said:

Where all are you going? Could you also post some feedback upon your return?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I only want to take 4 bottles home. wouldn't want to spend more than $40.00 per bottle any way so Duty free might be the way to go for me so I don't have to check luggage. When returning is it a lengthy process getting checked in? is the wait longer if you are checking bags? Thanks for all of the great info.

5 hours ago, uscmd310 said:

Santiago 11 for $40 is a must buy. Havana Club 11 Maestro is almost as good.

And Santiago 7 for $8 is not bad at all. I get Santiago 7 shipped for $60 to CA.

Just now, caboman said:

I only want to take 4 bottles home. wouldn't want to spend more than $40.00 per bottle any way so Duty free might be the way to go for me so I don't have to check luggage. When returning is it a lengthy process getting checked in? is the wait longer if you are checking bags? Thanks for all of the great info. We are just going to Havana and Vinales for our maiden voyage.

Check in at Jose Marti is a ZOO. 2 1/2 hours before your flight is seriously pushing it. If you get pulled by customs you will miss your flight, and if by some miracle you make your flight, your luggage won't. I wouldn't show up less than 3 hours before departure.

1 hour ago, uscmd310 said:

Check in at Jose Marti is a ZOO. 2 1/2 hours before your flight is seriously pushing it. If you get pulled by customs you will miss your flight, and if by some miracle you make your flight, your luggage won't. I wouldn't show up less than 3 hours before departure.

Thanks for the good info. Ill report back when we return.

Interesting. I came back through Jose Marti end of March, checked a bag and was through and at my gate in 10-15 minutes. Had a lot of time to kill before my flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's shocking. We traveled March 26, a party of 17, through Alaska Air Terminal 2. The line went from Alaska desk out to the curbside where the parking lot is, then stretched almost the whole length of the terminal along the outside.  I've never seen a check in line like that. 

• Like 1

That's shocking. We traveled March 26, a party of 17, through Alaska Air Terminal 2. The line went from Alaska desk out to the curbside where the parking lot is, then stretched almost the whole length of the terminal along the outside.  I've never seen a check in line like that. 

Thanks for the info - will show up extra early !!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What Casa did you stay at looks good?  My other question is money. As an American what did you do just bring a bunch  of cash and change it out CUC? I assume American CC won't work down there still. I can't see myself bringing 3K in cash to use to spend, but I guess that is what you have to do.

I was on Air Canada through terminal 3 so totally different experience. Crazy to have a line that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, semifan1 said:

What Casa did you stay at looks good?  My other question is money. As an American what did you do just bring a bunch  of cash and change it out CUC? I assume American CC won't work down there still. I can't see myself bringing 3K in cash to use to spend, but I guess that is what you have to do.

There are lots of nice casas! I suggest using Havaning.com or airbnb. If you use airbnb, definitely make sure the listing has multiple reviews. There are a lot of scammers on airbnb cuba. Ripping copies of pictures and putting up fake listings. 

Most American credit cards won't work. There is one bank in florida, Stonegate. I've been waiting two months for a decision from them, sounds like a mickey mouse operation. And yes, it sucks but cash works best right now. Bring a mix of euro and dollar. You will lose 6% with euro (3% to change to euro and another 3% to change to cuc)  Exchanging dollar to cuc through legal avenues, you lose 13%.

If you are comfortable, you can use the black market. Lots of casa owners will exchange US dollars for a 0-8% fee. Cubans need dollars to buy foreign goods. I had no issue changing at every casa and some restaurants at 0-5%, It'll take some negotiations. The casas I stayed at were eager to change 1-2k at a time.

• Like 1