henschke 'hill of grace' 2012 (and great time lapse vid)

Ken Gargett

(rich) winelovers in australia will be aware that the 2012 Hill of Grace is to be released on May 1 (there was no 2011 so it has been a while). the family put together this great video (only 2 minutes) of the vineyard and those amazing vines, many of which are 150-160 years old. if you have never seen ancient vines, worth a look. and what no one realised until they did this was just how much those old stumps moved, in and out,

extraordinary to think that they are still producing great wine at that age.

and the wine is an absolute superstar. hiughly recommended if you have a spare $830.

https://youtu.be/svgFUSQPy94

• Like 2

Hill of Grace has always been a holy grail wine for me, much more than Grange.  I visited the Barossa Valley in 2010 and had the chance to see those vines; gnarled, ancient, in the shadow of the lovely Gnadenberg church. Knowing how long these vines stood, rooting deep, bearing fruit for wines made by one generation for the pleasure of future generations  - it was a moving experience.

DSC_0319_2.thumb.JPG.14bb77d3bb30a7e5bd1513a456a2b947.JPG

18 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

Hill of Grace has always been a holy grail wine for me, much more than Grange.  I visited the Barossa Valley in 2010 and had the chance to see those vines; gnarled, ancient, in the shadow of the lovely Gnadenberg church. Knowing how long these vines stood, rooting deep, bearing fruit for wines made by one generation for the pleasure of future generations  - it was a moving experience.

DSC_0319_2.thumb.JPG.14bb77d3bb30a7e5bd1513a456a2b947.JPG

grange is a cracker wine but there is much less HoG  made. i think i have tasted every vintage ever made, back to when they first made it in 1958. a real privilege. extraordinary to think that the vines were already over a 100 years old before they made the first one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

people forget how much sauv blanc one has to slog through to get the the hill of grace.

Doubtless.  But for every vintage ever made (plus the DRC, La Tache et al you mentioned elsewhere) I'll slog through a Lake Baikal of passionfruit and cat pee, tooth enamel be damned.

43 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

Doubtless.  But for every vintage ever made (plus the DRC, La Tache et al you mentioned elsewhere) I'll slog through a Lake Baikal of passionfruit and cat pee, tooth enamel be damned.

yes, i would put out with a bucket or two of savvy for something DRC. for me, the greatest wines on the planet.