Cohiba Maduros

I really enjoy the Cohiba Maduros I have tried so far but they seemed to be a one-two punch type of cigar IMO. Huge blasts of chocolate but not very complex. I tried one out of a '16 box of Secretos from our host with a cup of coffee (cream and sugar) and noticed something odd: The coffee seemed to tame the chocolate a bit and I was getting hints of that Cohiba hay and honey coming through. It was slight but definitely there. 

I mainly stay away from the larger Cohiba Maduro sizes due to price and lack of complexity (IMO). I get the same chocolate blast out of the Secreto so why drop the extra coin if the flavors are so similar, but the coffee taming some of that chocolate might have me rethinking that plan.

Has anybody else experienced this?

• Like 2

Hmmm...I have a box of Secretos from a 24. One of the most amazing smelling boxes I've had. I have a partial box 7/10of Genios from a trade. I haven't had those yet. Because of this thread I shall have one today and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've had the magicos and noticed that it wasn't very complex, however I was very happy with the flavors I was getting that I didn't mind. I feel like the secretos would be too short for a cigar that I was really into

I've had similar results with the Cohiba Maduros. I've liked them, especially the Secretos, but I didn't find them particularly complex. However, these seem to be cigars that perform better the more age they have. And I think they have serious legs for the long term and possibly have unlimited aging potential. Some 07-08 examples are coming along very nicely now and seem to just be getting to the next level. 

• Like 4

I have certain cigars I smoke almost exclusively in situations where I know I'll have a bit of a breeze to contend with (that sounds incredibly geeky, almost like I'm choosing a golf club or fishing rod...but it's true). This for me is usually on the beach or boat. The Genios is my #1 go-to. Great flavor/size for that situation. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I smoked that cigar when NOT on the boat or beach.

IMG_5543.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, El Hoze said:

I have certain cigars I smoke almost exclusively in situations where I know I'll have a bit of a breeze to contend with (that sounds incredibly geeky, almost like I'm choosing a golf club or fishing rod...but it's true). This for me is usually on the beach or boat. The Genios is my #1 go-to. Great flavor/size for that situation. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I smoked that cigar when NOT on the boat or beach.

Though not a golfer, I get what you're saying, and agree. I'm heading to Hawaii in a couple weeks, and will pack a couple Cohiba Maduros into the travel humi, on your recommendation!

• Like 3

I could be wrong but I believe $100 is the minimum for free shipping. To be on the safe side I bought a ten count of RyJ Wide Churchill's too. :) variety is the spice of life they say

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I could be wrong but I believe $100 is the minimum for free shipping. To be on the safe side I bought a ten count of RyJ Wide Churchill's too. variety is the spice of life they say

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Oh course. You can't just get one box. Lol

• Like 1

On 15/04/2017 at 5:02 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

I've had similar results with the Cohiba Maduros. I've liked them, especially the Secretos, but I didn't find them particularly complex. However, these seem to be cigars that perform better the more age they have. And I think they have serious legs for the long term and possibly have unlimited aging potential. Some 07-08 examples are coming along very nicely now and seem to just be getting to the next level. 

I agree with the aging potential.  I have had both experiences - Some Maduros that are not very complex, but I have had some that were one of the most complex cigars I have smoked.  Very complex, but perhaps not a "journey" of changing flavours throughout.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, El Hoze said:

Is there a reason you find that these hold up well in the wind? Just because it is a larger ring gauge with generally good construction?

• Like 1

89b566fa69ac373bc38c02eb9d3c8a2f.jpg

Smoked the Genios today. First one. Coffee and chocolate. Light spice and good retrohale. One dimensional though. Flavor profile did not change much. I think this is a 14 box, I'll report back. Didn't hate it...didn't love it.

• Like 4

On 16/04/2017 at 10:10 AM, JohnS said:

@NSXCIGAR is spot on. The Cohiba Maduro 5 line does benefit greatly from aging.

This is just what I was looking for...a comparison between the 3 Maduros.  I have some PSP Secretos from March 2014, and I find them extremely powerful - one of the strongest cigars I have smoked.  I do like powerful cigars, but I probably wouldn't want anything much stronger.  So, before shelling out for an expensive Magicos or Genios, I was hoping to get a comparison on strength.  However, I noticed that your experience was quite different to mine!  You found the Secretos to be Mild to Medium, but this was a review of aged Maduros, so maybe mine will eventually reach that point?

Can someone share a comparison of strength for these 3 cigars when young?

• Like 1

Recently fell for a purchase in Spain that only collectors like me could... and hope I still smoke in 5 -10 years. Plus, I find it almost impossible to take a cigar out of these special boxes. Hopefully I will get over that too.

:rolleyes:

CB

IMG_2199.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, boilers183 said:

Is there a reason you find that these hold up well in the wind? Just because it is a larger ring gauge with generally good construction?

I probably could have been more clear. The main reason I prefer it is the powerful aroma/flavor, which is strong but also less nuanced. I find many of my favorite (more nuanced) cigars lose a great deal in these situations. 

I have had two people come up to me on the beach on separate occasions (both w a Genios) and ask me what I was smoking because it smelled so good. When a stranger approaches me as I'm smoking a cigar in public and says "Excuse me" my first reaction is usually "Is this person about to complain that my cigar is bothering them from 100 feet away on a windy beach?" So to get the opposite reaction says alot. 

In terms of size, it's just personal preference. Thougb I suppose the bigger RG does produce more smoke all else equal. And I prefer longer cigars. The construction is also good one these but it's more about the flavor profile that makes this a go-to. 

• Like 1

I was just amazed at how the coffee/cream cut the chocolate down. Without coffee, I don't get those Cohiba flavors coming through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 hours ago, El Hoze said:

I probably could have been more clear. The main reason I prefer it is the powerful aroma/flavor, which is strong but also less nuanced. I find many of my favorite (more nuanced) cigars lose a great deal in these situations. 

I have had two people come up to me on the beach on separate occasions (both w a Genios) and ask me what I was smoking because it smelled so good. When a stranger approaches me as I'm smoking a cigar in public and says "Excuse me" my first reaction is usually "Is this person about to complain that my cigar is bothering them from 100 feet away on a windy beach?" So to get the opposite reaction says alot. 

In terms of size, it's just personal preference. Thougb I suppose the bigger RG does produce more smoke all else equal. And I prefer longer cigars. The construction is also good one these but it's more about the flavor profile that makes this a go-to. 

Thanks for clarifying. I've not had any of the cohiba maduros, but your description makes me want to give them a shot