really sad - could use some cheering up

So you all have been so great with me and my noob posts over the past couple months.  Anyway.  I'll repost two pics of what I bought myself back in December from a different vendor, with no further mention of said vendor...I received my first ever box of cigars...until this point I was buying single sticks on vacation and bringing them home with me.  This has been going on for about 5 years or so...and maybe I am the luckiest guy for not having experienced until yesterday what I experienced, or maybe I am the unluckiest guy  - for my first cigar, out of the first box of cigars I ever ever bought, was what I am describing now as unsmokable.  The DRAW.  Period.  

So after crying to all of you about my humidity after said purchase of this box of Partagas Serie P no. 2 - I got my desktop to a happy 72%...but then let it drop slowly to a more happy 67% in recent weeks.  The whole box sat untouched in said humidor since early January.  Didn't touch one.

So saving my first smoke for a special occasion, that occasion was yesterday, Easter.  Took one out, went out to a nice dinner in NYC...walked into central park with the wife...cut, toasted, and lit...then the draw...very very tough.  Hard to draw air through.  I am sure I am not describing this right...but anyway, I thought at first I may not have cut enough off the head.  So I cut a bit more off...did not improve the draw.

After 15 minutes of trying without success to draw any smoke through the head, I gave up, and pitched my ~$10 cigar.  

I was really upset.  And still am.  What happened?  It felt very hard just above the label...but looser towards the foot.  Cigar looks legit.  I have no earthly idea what or how to explain the tight tight draw, so much so that it was just not smokable.

I am sad, and looking for advice and maybe an explanation...I thought I did everything right.  Thank you all.   And I truly appreciate everyone's feedback. I was so sad that my wife became sad for me and it sort of put a damper on such a nice day. She knows how hard I worked on keeping my humidor happy and how much I was looking forward to my first smoke from my first box of my very own cigars.

cig3.JPG

cig2.JPG

cig1.JPG

cig.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I smoke my cigars @ 62-63rh and check out the thread on the 'PerfecDraw'.  I don't have many tough draws and when I do...they don't last long with the PerfecDraw. Sorry to hear about your P2.  I

PM me your address.  I'll send some "Cheer you ups" your way stored at 60% RH and you can decide for yourself.  --Z

One suggestion to reduce disappointment is to cut and test the draw before you head out. That way you know you're carrying a smokeable cigar and will avoid runing the moment, Another, your humidi

it's pretty common with cuban cigars unfortunately.   Just grab another and try it.  

I have a boc of 2010 D4's that have a very tight draw.  its annoying.

• Like 2

Just now, Cep said:

it's pretty common with cuban cigars unfortunately.   Just grab another and try it.  

I have a boc of 2010 D4's that have a very tight draw.  its annoying.

Thank you for the reassurance.  Is there a way for me to "feel" for a cigar in my bunch that might have such a tight draw...and is there anything to be said for the "poker" type tools some folks speak of to loosen the tobacco from the head by inserting a tiny rod through? thx for replying Cep!!

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

What I got from your story is that you celebrated a special day with your wife, who loves you enough to be sad when you're disappointed in a cigar, had a nice dinner, and a walk in the park. 

Sounds like a pretty great day to me :)

If the worst thing any of us experiences in a given day is that our cigar is plugged, I would call that cause for great gratitude. 

I'm sure the rest of the box will be great! An occasional dud just heightens the enjoyment of the good ones. 

1 minute ago, Nekhyludov said:

What I got from your story is that you celebrated a special day with your wife, who loves you enough to be sad when you're disappointed in a cigar, had a nice dinner, and a walk in the park. 

Sounds like a pretty great day to me :)

If the worst thing any of us experiences in a given day is that our cigar is plugged, I would call that cause for great gratitude. 

I'm sure the rest of the box will be great! An occasional dud just heightens the enjoyment of the good ones. 

Gratitude is the best attitude!!  Thank you sir for reminding me of just that!  Well said.  You win the internet today!

• Like 3

itstricky:  With hand made products such as cigars a tight draw is bound to happen every once in a while.  It's disappointing, but unavoidable.  Cep's advice is right on point.  Grab another stick and try it.  Habana Mike's advice to cut and test the draw before you leave home will also save you potential disappointment going forward.  As HarveyBoulevard stated, lowering your rH to ~62% should help (this is where I like to keep my rH level).  A PerfecDraw cigar tool can also come in handy when you find yourself confronted with a plugged stick or a tight draw.  Try not to be too hard on yourself.  You can always count on the FoH forum to chime in with good advice, helpful suggestions and moral support when you need it.  Keep soldering on and things will work out. :2thumbs:   

• Like 1

With renewed faith in the quality of life and of my cigars, I will forge ahead with another stick this weekend, and report my findings, taking heed of all the above, thank you all...yet again.  Keep Calm and Smoke On.  

• Like 2

One suggestion to reduce disappointment is to cut and test the draw before you head out. That way you know you're carrying a smokeable cigar and will avoid runing the

Good advice, also think about taking more than one with you even though you only plan to smoke one. Always good to have a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

nothing like a beautiful day in central park smoking a cigar, sorry you had that bad experience but alas it happens hopefully the next p2 will more than make up for it and sometimes with the pyramids might have to cut a little further down

• Like 1

I actually find myself more disappointed more frequently by the opposite problem: not enough resistance on the draw. I have used everything from a wooden BBQ skewer to a wire coat hanger over the years to remedy a tight draw w success. But a wind tunnel is bound to leave me feeling short changed with little I can do. 

Great solution to test it. However, I have had issues of cutting the cigar ahead of time and damaging the head as I carry it around. So I actually now make habit of always bringing two cigars with me - and ones I trust the consistency of construction. That way I have a back-up, a cigar to give away if someone wants one, or another cigar to smoke! 

My trick is only buying handbags for my fiancee big enough to hold my supplies!!! She actually bought me this fancy 2-cigar holder as she deemed my leftover aluminum tubes a little too low brow (which begs the question how on Earth she didn't deem me too low brow!) I initially balked but actually do prefer this thing as I smoke alot of Cohiba Lanceros and I can fit one in there even with the box and the thing is super air tight.  

IMG_5668.JPG

• Like 3

It's the only thing about CC's that
can make me angry .... buying the creme de la creme of cigars and finding you can't smoke them... if I buy a Rolls Royce I want the motor to start ! Still , I keep at it because the good ones make it alright

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Like 2

Before you smoke chuck the cigar in the freezer for 15 min, it should open up and tight draws.

Remember hygrometers have margins of error that are 3-5% unless you've paid triple digit money for it. You don't know really what the Rh is. You will get to know how your cigars are by feel eventually; by weight in the hand but also by how much of a crackle the wrapper gives when gently rolled between finger and thumb.

Until then, freezer trick is as good as any

• Like 2

Just a heads up that Central Park is smoke free and the twitchy crazed locals would love to tattle on you. Right outside though, there are tons and tons of benches along Central Park West from the 60s all the way up. These are my go-to smoking seats. Enjoyed an Epi No 2 here yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Try dry-boxing those bad boys for a day prior to smoking. May not alleviate a true "plugging" issue, but it may help the overall situation. I dry box all of my cigars now about a day prior to smoking and have noticed a world of difference with flavor, draw, smoke production, etc. Maybe just me but I know there are plenty of others here that will agree with this approach, especially for younger stock. Again, doubtful it will correct a super tight draw but might not hurt :yes:

• Like 1