really sad - could use some cheering up

Great advice throughout this thread. I too am in the 60-62% range and I rarely.....very rarely have a plugged cigar. You will find many folks lower their RH until they find the sweet spot. I would just take the humidity down to 62% for a few weeks and that should help......unless you got a poorly rolled cigar which IMO is not the norm.

• Like 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I smoke my cigars @ 62-63rh and check out the thread on the 'PerfecDraw'.  I don't have many tough draws and when I do...they don't last long with the PerfecDraw. Sorry to hear about your P2.  I

PM me your address.  I'll send some "Cheer you ups" your way stored at 60% RH and you can decide for yourself.  --Z

One suggestion to reduce disappointment is to cut and test the draw before you head out. That way you know you're carrying a smokeable cigar and will avoid runing the moment, Another, your humidi

I'm on a few different forums for this or that, electronics, things that go bang, things that fly, etc...but I have to say, I've never encountered such a helpful, friendly, community on any other forum...so many thoughtful replies, and with solid info to boot!!

Again, thank you all!!
Rich

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A buddy of mine in Havana showed me a tip to check draw without cutting the cigar.  Basically blow gently from the foot of the cigar and if you feel the cigar cap move gently outward while doing this, it means the draw is good.  I've tried this and it takes a bit of practice to get the feel, but works consistently.

I keep my Cubans at 63-65% and NC's at 68-70%.  May be worth a try as a few have suggested.

Other than that, IMO perfecdraw is a great poker and worth the investment.  P2's are awesome.  Happy smoki

• Like 3

Just a heads up that Central Park is smoke free and the twitchy crazed locals would love to tattle on you. Right outside though, there are tons and tons of benches along Central Park West from the 60s all the way up. These are my go-to smoking seats. Enjoyed an Epi No 2 here yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hedgehog, I wondered whether smoking in that park was allowed...I'm just outside of NYC but rarely head into that beautiful park...but it crossed my mind that no one else was smoking...but technically, I wasn't either...hence my post...but thx for the location tips!! Noted.

No doubt a smug hipster would have educated me had I got my PSP2 lit proper.

• Like 1

I try to store at 65rh 65f but i cant imagine how brittle they would be at 60%. I guess possibly some are getting better flavor and or burn at 60 but u have to be so careful with them.
I notice wrappers breaking and coming apart it makes me want to increase humidity not decrease. I had a rare nc today stored at 63f 69rh and it felt so nice in my hand. Smoked fine perfect burn. I dunno!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

know your vendor.  I can say since I started buying CC's from our host "the Pres."  I would say that

98% of the time I get very little plugged smokes.  Since 2010 I think that is when I became a member

very little trouble in that area.  Even the long skinnies smoke like they are a 52 ring gauge!

Stick with what works best for you.  For myself FOH has out classed the rest of the on-line vendor field.

Rob and his crews attention to detail is without question "head and shoulders" above the rest.

Hand Picked (HP) by himself and crew outstanding!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Just a heads up that Central Park is smoke free and the twitchy crazed locals would love to tattle on you. Right outside though, there are tons and tons of benches along Central Park West from the 60s all the way up. These are my go-to smoking seats. Enjoyed an Epi No 2 here yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, itstricky said:

Hedgehog, I wondered whether smoking in that park was allowed...I'm just outside of NYC but rarely head into that beautiful park...but it crossed my mind that no one else was smoking...but technically, I wasn't either...hence my post...but thx for the location tips!! Noted.

No doubt a smug hipster would have educated me had I got my PSP2 lit proper.

While it's true that it's illegal to smoke in parks, I've never experienced or heard of a cop enforcing it.   Worst case scenario, they'd just ask you to take the smoke to the perimeter of the park.  It's more likely you'll find a hipster or yuppie that tries to give you an earful, but I just keep on walking and ignoring them.  We're outdoors at night for Christ's sake!

Edit: As have many others already, I suggest the PerfecDraw, it'll fix most of these problems.  Lower RH may help with tight draws, but it won't help with cigars that are straight up plugged.  In my opinion, plugged cigars are a more common problem in both NC and CC than some people would like to admit.

• Like 1

So you all have been so great with me and my noob posts over the past couple months.  Anyway.  I'll repost two pics of what I bought myself back in December from a different vendor, with no further mention of said vendor...I received my first ever box of cigars...until this point I was buying single sticks on vacation and bringing them home with me.  This has been going on for about 5 years or so...and maybe I am the luckiest guy for not having experienced until yesterday what I experienced, or maybe I am the unluckiest guy  - for my first cigar, out of the first box of cigars I ever ever bought, was what I am describing now as unsmokable.  The DRAW.  Period.  

So after crying to all of you about my humidity after said purchase of this box of Partagas Serie P no. 2 - I got my desktop to a happy 72%...but then let it drop slowly to a more happy 67% in recent weeks.  The whole box sat untouched in said humidor since early January.  Didn't touch one.

So saving my first smoke for a special occasion, that occasion was yesterday, Easter.  Took one out, went out to a nice dinner in NYC...walked into central park with the wife...cut, toasted, and lit...then the draw...very very tough.  Hard to draw air through.  I am sure I am not describing this right...but anyway, I thought at first I may not have cut enough off the head.  So I cut a bit more off...did not improve the draw.

After 15 minutes of trying without success to draw any smoke through the head, I gave up, and pitched my ~$10 cigar.  

I was really upset.  And still am.  What happened?  It felt very hard just above the label...but looser towards the foot.  Cigar looks legit.  I have no earthly idea what or how to explain the tight tight draw, so much so that it was just not smokable.

I am sad, and looking for advice and maybe an explanation...I thought I did everything right.  Thank you all.   And I truly appreciate everyone's feedback. I was so sad that my wife became sad for me and it sort of put a damper on such a nice day. She knows how hard I worked on keeping my humidor happy and how much I was looking forward to my first smoke from my first box of my very own cigars.

cig3.JPG.3de5215d0de6fdff42904e489555e476.JPG

cig2.JPG.a90e5d29ca4bcc958495d2a40f618c56.JPG

cig1.JPG.080545df4e275317fe91042bef5859ea.JPG

cig.JPG.b59a722b112c5f3231a8a8d55af5644e.JPG

I feel your pain, you do get that from time to time.

From a quick look I say 2nd,3rd and 6th from the right should be a nice smoke.

Let me know how you go.

Sometimes I feel I have a special power picking a good smoke from a tight draw box, I guess cause I have had so many lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waah954 said:

Sometimes I feel I have a special power picking a good smoke from a tight draw box, I guess cause I have had so many lol

I don't doubt you for a second, that's why I'd like you to PM me next week's lotto numbers! :D

• Like 2

Specific to P2s, they tend to be wet and need to be dry boxed. That said, I have found their construction recently has been lower than average and held off on ordering them for a while. Invest in a draw tool and I will say the Perfec Draw tool talked about on the forums does a good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Search the topic PerfecDraw from March 30  @irratebass was having some of the same problems as you. I had never seen this type of product before and ordered one immediately. I went with the Modus 3-1 tool instead of the PerfecDraw.

:2thumbs: to you for having a sympathetic wife

• Like 1

As others have said, likely too moist.  Try dry boxing and try the next one pretty dry.  Not usual for CC's - at least for the larger ring gauges.  Unfortunately, it does happen on the rare occasion, even with premier sticks.  Good luck.  

• 8 months later...
PM me your address.  I'll send some "Cheer you ups" your way stored at 60% RH and you can decide for yourself. 
:ok:
--Z

Friend, I smoked the last of your precious gifts about a month ago, and I still reflect often on your generosity to a complete stranger.
You sir have a direct VIP access to the Man upstairs for your generosity...I thank you again...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itstricky said:

Friend, I smoked the last of your precious gifts about a month ago, and I still reflect often on your generosity to a complete stranger.
You sir have a direct VIP access to the Man upstairs for your generosity...I thank you again...

Incredible generosity 

• Like 1

I hear people talk about draw issues and all I can think is it directly relates to storage. I hardly ever have bad draws - sure some are tighter than I prefer, but I rarely have an unsmokeable lung buster. My smoke now is kept at RH upper 50s to very low 60s (typically for months before I smoke them) and my aging stash is kept right around RH 67.

There's also the vast difference between most NC draws and those typical for Havanas.

My general rule for the past twenty years has been to always carry an extra cigar as back up

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
My way is to cut and test before I go out. A dud cigar can ruin your mood.

Thunder & Lightening '75 - '15

• Like 1

While the sentiment of obtaining a divine VIP access for sending along some cigars sounds just great, above all I hope you enjoyed the cigars and maybe gained a bit better understanding of what cigars acclimated to 60 rH can be like. I was merely passing on a lesson given to me a few years back. Have a great Holidays, I hope the cigars were enjoyed!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2017 at 10:18 PM, DBNInc said:

While it's true that it's illegal to smoke in parks, I've never experienced or heard of a cop enforcing it.   Worst case scenario, they'd just ask you to take the smoke to the perimeter of the park.  It's more likely you'll find a hipster or yuppie that tries to give you an earful, but I just keep on walking and ignoring them.

Unfortunately.  NYC is becoming all hipsters or out-of-towners.  Very few real New Yorkers of old have much influence on the heartbeat of the City.  NYC is nothing like it was and for the worse.  All the concern and City is a dirty dump.

• Like 1

I’ll cast another vote for a PerfecDraw. A bit pricey, but pays for itself after saving two or three tight draws from being pitched.

• Like 1