Need help please!

Thanks in advance:

My wife is heading to Montreal CA next week for a few days. She will be in the downtown area. Even though she is not an advocate of my CC addition she is still willing to bring a few boxes back to the US for me. 

1: need a respectable place to purchase near the Lowes hotel?

2: looking for special boxes (suggestions please)?

3: prices? Need to know what to expect. 

You guys know how it is, you spend 1k she gets even by spending 3k!

thanks for the assistance. 

There is a LCDH in Montreal, which is going to be a respectable place to purchase, and its less than a 1/2 mile from the hotel. I've not been, so I cannot verify what selection they will have, but Canada has seen a couple of RE cigars as @AlohaStyle has mentioned. I recently was given a Vegas Robaina RE Canada that looks gorgeous and was told that they cost about $50CAD.

Cheers!

a few months back, i was passing through montreal and inquired about a box of coro from that LCDH.  ~1500 CAD.

the storefront is 3 blocks away from the loews, but you might as well fly her to cuba and back.  costs could be similar?

if your wife is habanos savvy to purchase EL or RE boxes, perhaps go for it.  i personally don't see that value when we have our host...

Tell Simon/ Strada here to get some FOH guys to come to the LCDH for a smoke. Get yourself a wonderful RE Canada, and consider the price a non issue. Then go to the not so far away bar that allows smoking and watching hockey on TV.

Lots of really nice FOH guys there!

CB

As you already know, the sin taxes are out of this world in Canada, somewhere in the neighborhood of 120%-150% on tobacco, so you will end up paying more than double the cost. That said, one thing I have not looked into is whether you can get the taxes back through the foreign tax refund. 

Few people know about the foreign visitor tax refund in Canada. I haven't looked into it in years, but it used to be that on your way out of Canada you could get a refund for the GST and HST paid during your visit if you kept your receipts. Of course, this was never possible on Cuban cigars in the past because it was illegal to bring Cuban cigars back to the USA, but now that you can legally do it, it may be applicable. 

You'll have to google it, as I don't recall what they called it. They may have some exclusions or limitations, but years ago I was able to get a decent percentage of the taxes refunded when I stayed in Canada.

Agree with all above. Avoid current regular production there. There are some deals to be had for some hard-to-source ERs and vintage stock as people rarely shop mail order from Canada due to the prices and there can be a lot of interesting stock at B & Ms.

For ERs, keep an eye out for Boli Simones, Boli B-2, RA Petit Unicos, VR Petit Robaina, VR XV Aniversario, LFDC Siboney.

• Like 1

The prices are kinda crazy, comparatively speaking, but gene i was in Calgary I was able to find some nice discontinued stock that was worth the cost for the novelty to buy (punch ss 2, LCG MDO 1, and partagas SDC no2) and try in singles. If your wife can find those kinds of boxes then I'd say buy them, but otherwise I don't know that the novelty would be worth the cost. Just my feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

Few people know about the foreign visitor tax refund in Canada. I haven't looked into it in years, but it used to be that on your way out of Canada you could get a refund for the GST and HST paid during your visit if you kept your receipts. Of course, this was never possible on Cuban cigars in the past because it was illegal to bring Cuban cigars back to the USA, but now that you can legally do it, it may be applicable. 

You'll have to google it, as I don't recall what they called it. They may have some exclusions or limitations, but years ago I was able to get a decent percentage of the taxes refunded when I stayed in Canada.

Can't do it anymore... I just looked into it a few months ago. 

Can't do it anymore... I just looked into it a few months ago. 

And technically, you still can't bring them in UNLESS you are transiting through Canada on your way home from Cuba. According to a border patrol agent last October.

7 minutes ago, perkinke said:

And technically, you still can't bring them in UNLESS you are transiting through Canada on your way home from Cuba. According to a border patrol agent last October.

That was the first easing of the regs. They later amended to allow bringing them in from anywhere in world without need for having come from Cuba. 

That was the first easing of the regs. They later amended to allow bringing them in from anywhere in world without need for having come from Cuba. 

That was my understanding as well, but the agents disagreed, and well, they got to decide if I went home or not so I didn't argue.

Just now, perkinke said:

That was my understanding as well, but the agents disagreed, and well, they got to decide if I went home or not so I didn't argue. emoji4.png

Yeah, you don't want to argue with an agent who can decide to make your life miserable on a whim. Better to just agree with everything they say!

From the Dept of Treasury - see FAQ #32: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

1 hour ago, perkinke said:

That was my understanding as well, but the agents disagreed, and well, they got to decide if I went home or not so I didn't argue. emoji4.png

The agent was correct.  The rule didn't change until after your trip.