Recommend a Rolex GMT-style watch

Hi Gents,

I've enjoyed ogling the watches shown off by FOHers in this watch thread. And as I've started building my modest lineup, I find that I would really like to add a watch that is in the style of the classic Rolex GMT-Master II. It's timeless for sure but a bit rich for my pocket. I've been looking at the Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1.

SteinhartGMTOceanBlueRed_zpsxr33n2vf.jpg

So, do you guys have any recommendations along this styling? My only restriction is that I'd like it to be no larger than 42mm.

Wilkey

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one has been my daily go-to since it came out a couple of years ago, the white gold (Pepsi) version of the Black/Blue one you've shown there. I also have a Pepsi in an older stainless but the ban

I brought Mr Beaver to a store to buy him this watch a couple of weeks ago: he said he is not really into watches so no thanks. I however am very into them. These are mine. (Not magazin

All this discussion naturally calls for a wrist shot.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Seiko SKX009K2 a while back. I think that's the right model #.  It's not a true clone of the GMT Master-II but it shares some of the same look. Runs about $200, I think. It's an automatic, not a quartz ticker. 

IMG_5651.PNG

GMT-style, I think. Two primary features I'm looking for that would be new to the stable: 24-hour bezel ring and second hour hand.

I'm really liking the Rolex in Black/Blue stainless. 

RolexGMT2BlueBlackSteel_zpsuqyyzsft.jpg

Wilkey

• Like 1

Ok, I'm a huge fan of gmt watches so brace yourself...

whats your price point?  Are you going for look or function?

those steinharts and the like are crap compaired to Rolex in function.  The gmt hand can be moved in 1hour increments while the movement is still going. That's completely f@&k!ng useless. Gmt stays the same no matter where you travel to.

The hour hand should move in hour increments (jumping hour hand as it were) to change to the local time as you travel and movement keeps ticking so you don't even lose a second.

this aint cheap movement in a automatic watch.  Looks NOTHING like a Rolex gmt, but you can get this in a alpina alpiner 4 gmt.  Prices on eBay are showing up jaut under $1k.  IWC Makes one (dual time) and omega's gmt do this as well. Pricey, but under the price of a Rolex.

looks? Have at it.  Tons of knock offs or homage as they call it or whatever.  I personally don't support it.  It just feels like a fraud to me.  Why have the hands and bezel to do something it can't do!? I call that bullshitting, but that's my opinion. 

Before I got my Rolex explorer II I owned a seiko then a citizen that were quarts movements that still had the jumping hour function.  Saved up and got the Rolex once I could afford it.  That's my advice. You won't be satisfied until you have the real thing, so don't waste time on the homage stuff unless you truly only care about look and could give no sh/ts about the function and movement.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ginseng said:

Hi Gents,

I've enjoyed ogling the watches shown off by FOHers in this watch thread. And as I've started building my modest lineup, I find that I would really like to add a watch that is in the style of the classic Rolex GMT-Master II. It's timeless for sure but a bit rich for my pocket. I've been looking at the Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1.

SteinhartGMTOceanBlueRed_zpsxr33n2vf.jpg

So, do you guys have any recommendations along this styling? My only restriction is that I'd like it to be no larger than 42mm.

Wilkey

I am sorry to say but I also agree this is "fraud".  If you want a non Rolex then by all means buy one but don't buy a look a like. I've never seen the watch you posted but yikes...that is a complete copy. Would you smoke a fake Cuban cigar and say "but it looks the same"? LOL  

I can't tell you the times I've sat next to a guy on a plane and noticed his watch and then I noticed it was a Folex...I just cringe. And remember I would not cringe if he had on a Seiko or a Timex...its not about "cost".

I tried to buy "alternatives" but always found myself flipping or giving them away. My advise unless it is just not possible wait and buy a Rolex GMT II if that is what you really want.  They can be had a lot more reasonably used.  I prefer the "older" cases before Rolex beefed them up but that is just me.  

I like the Rolex Explorer II for a GMT as well...bought my M series used a couple years ago for about $4k...they are still out there.  If bought smart you will not lose money and/or you will hand down to someone a nice watch that will increase in value for sure. I could flip my watches and make money on everyone of  them. 

Good luck in your decision. 

• Like 2

@SaintMickey® your post is music to my ears.

picked up the an explorer II (early 2000s model) for just over 3k used.  No box, didn't even have arolex brwcelet.  Bought that later, so in on the whole thing for $4k. Doing research and buying used with patience in mind is the way to go!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rhcolbert said:

@SaintMickey® your post is music to my ears.

picked up the an explorer II (early 2000s model) for just over 3k used.  No box, didn't even have arolex brwcelet.  Bought that later, so in on the whole thing for $4k. Doing research and buying used with patience in mind is the way to go!!

@rhcolbert I just checked my paper work and I paid $3650 about 3-4 years ago for mine used. Although I got Box and warranty paper are nice but don't mean anything since its out of warranty. Might get $40 more if I ever sold.  I did buy my Omega Speedmaster and Submariner new so I like the box and paper on those as it has my name...my son will get them all.

The second picture is of a fake Breitling looking watch. Bought two of them and they never left the house! LOL that was years ago.  Until recently my itch was not scratched because I just bought the Breitling Cosmonaut pristine used.  

@Ginseng I bet your itch won't be scratched either until you buy Rolex GMT II...and let me tell you it feels good! 

IMG_0717_zpsllm03oq0.jpg

SANY0673.jpg

fullsizeoutput_8d8_zpssinpclsz.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

This one has been my daily go-to since it came out a couple of years ago, the white gold (Pepsi) version of the Black/Blue one you've shown there. I also have a Pepsi in an older stainless but the band/clasp is flimsy so I rarely wear it - it that matters stick to the new ones. The new cerachrome GMTs are getting very expensive IMO (mine w the white gold is a total ripoff but ya only live once and I work hard). But the one you are looking at w the cerachrome bezel and new (and much improved) clasp/band is a badass watch. I also don't see alot of them (I live in the US), which is kind of nice. 

IMG_5706.JPG

And then there is El Hoze..with his one watch worth more than my entire collection! :rotfl::wub::rotfl:

• Like 1

Parnis make fauxlexes in GMT. Your Black and blue one.

I like watches like steinhart as i like the style of the watch and not the name on dial. I actually hate the Rolex brand. I like Tudor though, and i own a Black Bay Bronze. A lot more my working class style, and at a reasonable price point to me. They don't make a GMT though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

Parnis make fauxlexes in GMT. Your Black and blue one.

I like watches like steinhart as i like the style of the watch and not the name on dial. I actually hate the Rolex brand. I like Tudor though, and i own a Black Bay Bronze. A lot more my working class style, and at a reasonable price point to me. They don't make a GMT though.

Agreed Tudor is a great alternative. I have the new release of the Tudor Ranger. Great watch for the money.

Curious what you "hate" about the Rolex brand? They are responsible for Tudor so they can't be THAT bad!:2thumbs:

fullsizeoutput_8e8.jpeg

• Like 1

I agree with above as far as avoiding knockoffs. They're nothing but trouble, run like crap and fall apart.

Some of the options I like which are going to be less expensive than the Rolex, but not cheap ($3,000-5,000 range):

Omega_SeamasterGMT_1.jpg

TAG-HEUER-FORMULA-1-CALIBRE-7-GMT-WAZ211

10 minutes ago, SaintMickey® said:

Agreed Tudor is a great alternative. I have the new release of the Tudor Ranger. Great watch for the money.

Curious what you "hate" about the Rolex brand? They are responsible for Tudor so they can't be THAT bad!:2thumbs:

Not sure... i think it's just the flashyness of it all. I actually don't like the majority their watches. Dont get me wrong the subs of the 80s are a great shape and style. I also dont liek most of the watches in the Patek line up and so on. Todays watches seem to be more jewelry statements than anything else.

Just now, LordAnubis said:

Not sure... i think it's just the flashyness of it all. I actually don't like the majority their watches. Dont get me wrong the subs of the 80s are a great shape and style. I also dont liek most of the watches in the Patek line up and so on. Todays watches seem to be more jewelry statements than anything else.

I understand this. I do not like their new bigger flashier versions either really. I like two and I own them. The Anniversary Sub was one of the last case sizes before they got bigger and shinier and the original Explorer II almost isn't recognized by many as even a Rolex.  That model is a prime example of them ruining a classic look...got bigger, got flashier, big orange hand on the dial...which they would have stayed more "classic".

To your other point...definitely don't need them to tell time now a days!   But not to be silly and bring every thing back to cigars but...if you could have a vaporizer that gave you the same smoke, flavor, buzz whatever that a cigar does for us would we give up cigars? To me that is what I think when people say "I don't need a wristwatch I got the time right here.." and they show me their iPhone.  Not the same...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

I actually agree with you. I've just never been attracted to Rolex style and design. I also think they are poor timekeeping movements relative to some other Swiss brands. If I had to go with a Rolex, I'd go vintage. I have always liked the Milgauss, though:

milgauss_m116400gv-0002_instantly_0001_8

20 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I agree with above as far as avoiding knockoffs. They're nothing but trouble, run like crap and fall apart.

Some of the options I like which are going to be less expensive than the Rolex, but not cheap ($3,000-5,000 range):

Omega_SeamasterGMT_1.jpg

I like these...been actually hunting a white dial one. Fairly reasonable. 

123.PNG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I actually agree with you. I've just never been attracted to Rolex style and design. I also think they are poor timekeeping movements relative to some other Swiss brands. If I had to go with a Rolex, I'd go vintage. I have always liked the Milgauss, though:

milgauss_m116400gv-0002_instantly_0001_8

That orange bolt doesn't bother me as much as the over-sizing and changing of some models.  I like 40mm size...for a watch on a bracelet.

I guess I like things more "classic".  I tried on a Breitling in Vegas that I would have to wear on my LEG so it looked proportionate...and I ain't small! 

P1060478oldnewExplorerII.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, SaintMickey® said:

That orange bolt doesn't bother me as much as the over-sizing and changing of some models.  I like 40mm size...for a watch on a bracelet.

I agree, a 40mm version would look a bit better. But the style itself is one of the few of Rolex that I think is interesting. 

47 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Omega_SeamasterGMT_1.jpg

TAG-HEUER-FORMULA-1-CALIBRE-7-GMT-WAZ211

Is the tag a true gmt or the bogus one with no jumping hour hand?

18 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I believe this uses the Calibre 7 movement which appears to be a bona fide GMT movement:

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-us/calibre-7-gmt

I'll have to do more research.  Lots of eta based movements claim to be GMT, but only add a 24 hour hand that can move in hour increments. I guess they show gmt, but the function added is useless.

iwc, omega and older panerai gmt used eta movement and modified in house to make em "true gmt." 

• Like 1

So. Much. Information!

Thanks, gents and ladies.

I like the Tudor Back Bay too, Mus. Actually I kinda dig the two-tone though folks are pretty divided about that. For sure there is nothing on the market like the Rolex GMT. When you research what goes into one of those, the tradition, the history, it's clearly a thoroughbred. The Explorer caught my eye as well and I've always liked the Milgauss.

I have also become aware that there's quite a bit of energy behind the homage-knock off argument. I think that holds true more for truly unique designs like the Royal Oak but less so for what has exploded into a tremendously expansive class of "divers." There simply isn't anything in the world like it. But divers, I'm willing to give the field some slack. The question in my mind now is when does a design become "generic" while the execution can remain characteristic, that which truly distinguishes.

As for the quality of the Steinhart watches, though clearly not Rolex, they are far from crap. They use good components, Swiss movements and the fit and finish is more than suitable for a $500-800 watch.  Clearly it's no Rolex but I feel perfectly satisfied and well-served wearing my Ocean Titanium.

Okay, I hate eBay, too darn scary. What do you guys think about used watch dealers like Bob's?

Wilkey

If you want Swiss automatic movement, it's hard to beat Steinhart and Hamilton. Good value for what you get. I've had 3 Steinharts, and currently have two in my possession, and I really love them, they are excellent time pieces. I also have Ball, Seikos, Deep Blue, and a few others. Used to have Omegas, but got away from them.  

Personally I don't like the look of any Rolex watches, especially the submariner and GMT. There are too many knockoffs in the world. But Rolex makes excellent watches, so it has nothing to do with quality or value, it's just a personal taste thing. There are far too many other unique and distinct watches that I like.

This is the Steinhart Aviation GMT. In my opinion this is a truly beautiful watch with a terrific ETA Swiss automatic movement. It's a very distinctive piece, and I really enjoy wearing this on casual days with a pair of jeans and rolled sleeves.

8fba83d191553fd03f17de8a83e9f278.jpg

My other Steinhart is the Ocean-II in white, with white bezel, on shark mesh, also with Swiss automatic movement - this one also has a sapphire bezel insert that glows nicely in the dark.  

p0920-e0.jpg

This is my Hamilton Khaki Navy Regatta;

hamilton-khaki-navy-regatta-2.jpg

And my Hamilton X-Wind

H77646733_129.jpg

• Like 1