Recommend a Rolex GMT-style watch

7 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

I brought Mr Beaver to a store to buy him this watch a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_3291.JPG.60bff4149be38cb1a3108dfb5588ab04.JPG

he said he is not really into watches so no thanks.

I however am very into them. These are mine. (Not magazine, my wrist)

IMG_3460.thumb.JPG.bf3d58a60495f8d00705fa7f87779ea9.JPG

CB

A friend of mine bought a Bvlgari watch to match her B.Zero1 necklace. How anyone can spend AUD $4500 for a tiny quartz watch, I'll never know.

709-10045-102175_M.jpg.50d23a46f0c9a75d23de0e1c66e18478.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one has been my daily go-to since it came out a couple of years ago, the white gold (Pepsi) version of the Black/Blue one you've shown there. I also have a Pepsi in an older stainless but the ban

I brought Mr Beaver to a store to buy him this watch a couple of weeks ago: he said he is not really into watches so no thanks. I however am very into them. These are mine. (Not magazin

All this discussion naturally calls for a wrist shot.

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

A friend of mine bought a Bvlgari watch to match her B.Zero1 necklace. How anyone can spend AUD $4500 for a tiny quartz watch, I'll never know.

709-10045-102175_M.jpg.50d23a46f0c9a75d23de0e1c66e18478.jpg

This is solid gold jewelry and a Bulgari watch... half the price if it was Patek Philippe. Hey, this is a dream thing. :wub:

2 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

This is solid gold jewelry and a Bulgari watch... half the price if it was Patek Philippe. Hey, this is a dream thing. :wub:

She has the B.Zero1 necklace and watch, her husband has a B.Zero1 ring.

• Like 1

Watch any video of the craftsmen putting together very complex movement watches. The craftsmanship and technicality of this is well beyond simple fashion.  15k - 100k+ ain't payin for just the designer of the case, band and dial. 

to the function point.  I bought a gmt watch as I use it.  In the office we track flights all in gmt and any other base we call will speak about a mission in gmt since we're all in different time zones.  My guys on the ramp loading/unloading use local.  My wife kids at home in another time zone.  

Explorer can give you two times with a glance and gmt can give you all three quickly.

i believe in buying what you need for the best purpose.  I'll never get a dive watch unless I actually take up diving and need it.  Post was started by someone looking to know local time and home time at a glance, so there was functionality at the root of the inquiry. 

Also, quarts is beyond fine! As I stated, owned a seiko and citizen that both had true gmt functions. All had for less than a tenth of a panerai that does the same thing mechanically.

What I mean is - these are definitely works of art and for men one of the few "acceptable" pieces of jewelry they can wear without getting looks ;)

However, most of the functionality and complications go unused as another member posted earlier.

I have a few nice mechanical watches - nothing crazy, but a Navitimer, a Panerai Radiomir, et cetera. Since I got my first smart watch, they reside in my bank safety deposit box.

I also don't think the hybrid models being launched by the high end watch companies (some smart functionality with a nice case and in some cases a mechanical movement as well) will do very well in the market simply because electronics get outdated so fast. We don't see too many people under 25 still wear a regular wristwatch - I don't think they will suddenly start once they reach the age where there is sufficient disposable income to buy that Rolex. Maybe it's just where I live - in Silicon Valley, you see a LOT of FitBits, Apple Watches, et cetera.
  • Like 1

For some of us high end watches are just as big a hobby if not bigger than cigars. I also belong to a watch forum mostly dedicated to Rolex. The 2 in top pic are my current pieces. The solid gold piece in bottom pic will be on my wrist hopefully this summer. At an MSRP of 34K USD, certainly not a cheap hobby but equally fun as Cuban cigars. 

20170413_230733.jpg

20170104_113245.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ginseng said:

Solid gold. Good lord, that must weight a ton!

Wilkey

It feels awesome. Heavy but balanced. Can't wait to own it!

On 4/23/2017 at 9:29 PM, Ginseng said:

Solid gold. Good lord, that must weight a ton!

Wilkey

I have the exact same watch. yes it it is heavy and it slides around on my wrist but I love wearing it. My black/blue GMT is muck more comfortable

On 4/21/2017 at 8:40 AM, Ginseng said:

GMT-style, I think. Two primary features I'm looking for that would be new to the stable: 24-hour bezel ring and second hour hand.

I'm really liking the Rolex in Black/Blue stainless. 

RolexGMT2BlueBlackSteel_zpsuqyyzsft.jpg

Wilkey

Look no further than this. I can have pretty much any watch that I want under 50k After owning 50+ luxury watches this is the exact watch I wear every just about every day ?????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I am thinking of ordering this model.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-master-ii/m116710ln-0001.html

It has aprox 6 months waiting time. I almost ordered it today, but it´s quite expensive so I am still thinking about it.

is the bezel of GMT master prone to scratches?

The new GMTs come with a bezel they call cerachrom, it is ceramic. I have had mine for two years or so and don't have a single scratch on it. They are supposed to be very scratch resistant and in my experience are. 

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:05 AM, Ginseng said:

I've been looking at the Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1.

So, do you guys have any recommendations along this styling? My only restriction is that I'd like it to be no larger than 42mm.

Wilkey

I have a Steinhart Ocean 1 Titanium and really like it.  I wear way more than my IWC or Omega,  I happen to be a be Titanium watch fan and this is hefty for Titanium at 140 g.  I would love for them to do the Titanium in GMT without the Rolex style hands.  The Titanium model at least is not homage to something else; it's its own look.  Very hard to beat a Steinhart for the money.  My better half also has one, but hers is a "Chronoswiss - Franck Mueller" styled model with croc strap. 

ocean one.JPG

• Like 1

For some of us high end watches are just as big a hobby if not bigger than cigars. I also belong to a watch forum mostly dedicated to Rolex. The 2 in top pic are my current pieces. The solid gold piece in bottom pic will be on my wrist hopefully this summer. At an MSRP of 34K USD, certainly not a cheap hobby but equally fun as Cuban cigars. 

20170413_230733.thumb.jpg.6fe581e5c7c6f9d53d311dc1258f879b.jpg

20170104_113245.thumb.jpg.1e78c1d0f1c212c84e1ec44d9041380c.jpg

You love your subs by the looks of it!! I love the two tone sub and I think it is also great value for money. Only downside is that you look like a dodgy used car salesman. I'm still going to get one though Haha!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Luca said:

You love your subs by the looks of it!! I love the two tone sub and I think it is also great value for money. Only downside is that you look like a dodgy used car salesman. I'm still going to get one though Haha!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I see you are in Sydney. On the Rolex Forums, many members in OZ say it is very hard to get a new stainless Submariner. Equally the same in the U.K. Some say there is even a 1 year waiting list. Here in the US, you  can obtain any new Rolex with ease, except the new stainless ceramic Daytonas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

I see you are in Sydney. On the Rolex Forums, many members in OZ say it is very hard to get a new stainless Submariner. Equally the same in the U.K. Some say there is even a 1 year waiting list. Here in the US, you  can obtain any new Rolex with ease, except the new stainless ceramic Daytonas.

Yea it can be hard from what I have heard. Being put down on a waiting list is not uncommon. You guys are very lucky!