Padron 50th Maduro review

Padron 50th Anniversary Cigar review (Maduro)

Introduction. 

A little over a year ago I smoked the Padron 50th Natural and didn't find much to it.  I was gifted a few of the Natural and Maduro 50th's from a good friend shortly after they were released.  It was recommended I hold off on the Maduro a bit as it was very strong upon release.

These cigars were released late 2014/early 2015 to commemorate 50 Years for the Padron brand. These were released in Natural and Maduro versions. 1000 humidors in total.

Learn more here: http://padron.com/50anniversary/more-details-padron-50th-anniversary-cigar/

Now. On to the review!

Reviewers Notes:

My style of cigar reviewing is “open”. I try to jot down what I’m experiencing with every draw. When you see a “//” consider that a break in between puffs. What I leave out in fancy prose is made up with observation. Consider each segment a play by play. This style works for me. I hope you enjoy it.

Date: April 21, 2017

Place: Huatulco, Mexico, Secrets Resort

Specifications:

• Vitola: Toro Extra
  • Length: 6.5
  • RG: 52 (box pressed)
  • Serial# 033963

Pad50M0001a.jpg.2888503e38bd460ceb073588ba241966.jpg

First Third

Coffee grounds //  Toasty tobacco //  Licorice // Oily finish on the draws //  Bold // Good Burn,  easy draw // Dark chocolate //  Toffee //  Burnt flavours linger after draws // Pepper //  Chocolate //  Bitter //  Strong feeling to cigar.  

Pad50M0005a.thumb.jpg.7ba61704e31af1897ba678e97bd43a1d.jpg
Second Third

Still excellent burn despite wind //  Licorice // White ash //  Sweet draw //  Caramel //  Toasty tobacco //  Oily mouth feel //  Strong but enjoyable //  Tangy // Burnt caramel, but on the charry side // Earthy, mineral flavours //  Bitter chocolate // Excellent burn //  Minimal smoke // Coffee on a few draws.  

Pad50M0007a.thumb.jpg.d2c1abcf97edb9c8d5e52d2f40aef722.jpg

Final Third

Bitter chocolate //  Oily finish persists // Cocoa //  Boost of salted caramel (nice!)  //  Toasty tobacco //  Minerals //  Burnt chocolate //  Cotton candy ( a first for me)  //  Licorice //  Cocoa with peppery finish //  Took Band off //  Charry notes taking over.  ? // Bitter chocolate //  Burnt caramel // Earthy charry notes //.  Pepper blast //  Bitter and sour //  Palate is all peppered up.  Might ruin my next Cigar //  I'm done //  Sour finish to an overall decent cigar.

Pad50M0011a.jpg.621d4b4f04566db03fa55e8f9aa83629.jpg

Pad50M0015a.thumb.jpg.341dd5c2f5fd9dfba9d8bf92e6ffd520.jpg

Conclusions

I don't smoke a lot of Non Cubans these days. When I got into cigars, that's where I started but as I started smoking more Cubans, I veered away from the NC's.  The Padron 50th Anniversary release represents the company's current best cigar.  It is not a cheap cigar by any stretch.  Pricing IIRC for the original run is ~ $100USD/stick.  Owners of the humidors can order refills, with different colored serial #'s for ~$40USD/stick. 

Compared to the 50th Natural, this one was far more enjoyable, despite some nasty sour notes towards the back end.  If I were to compare it to a CC, I'd say it most reminded me of the new Montecristo Dantes.  The Dantes didn't have the rough edges but it shared a lot of the dark chocolate and cocoa profile of the Padron.  And price wise, it is the better buy IMO.  Nonetheless, this cigar impressed me overall.  It burned perfectly on a windy day, draw was smooth and flavourwise it took me on a journey, which is something I value greatly in a cigar. 

For those that like keeping score, I'd give this a 92

I still have a couple of these hidden away and probably won't light up another for a few years.  I'm hoping that the rough edges will have smoothed out the longer I wait.  This wasn't a strong cigar in the sense that it would make your brain "swim" but it was bold, which IMO bodes well for aging.  I may give the Natural another shot next year to see how it's doing.  But as it stands, this was time well spent.  :)

Edited by bundwallah
Corrected refill stick serial# info.
  • Like 2

Guest Nekhyludov

Nice review! I've got a couple of these that I picked up last year. I'm planning on including the Natural in my vacation stash next month. I love that I can always rely on Padron for perfect performance, even if the profile doesn't suit me.