Sir Winston availability

Was in Cuba last week. Actually saw quite a plethora of winnies. A mastercase at the varadero lcdh as well as at both the parque central and melia cohiba. Picked up 2 boxes and the wrappers on all of them looked pretty good. Did pick through a bit in Varadero as a few of the boxes looked very rough. That being said, based on the quantity I saw, it wouldn't surprise me to see a bit of a resurgence this year in production.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, foursite12 said:

I know  that in Cuba the price is supposed to be maintained at the official list price but is that likely to be reality even in an LCDH for something this much in demand? 

The SW is not "this much in demand" in Cuba; and I don't believe the shops managers in Cuba care or are even aware about what's in demand…

• Like 2

Last month in Havana they were around. Myself and a friend each picked up a box of MEL DIC 16 and the wrappers were as oily as I've seen on any cigar. Will be a long while before I try one as I still have a ARG ABR 14 box it will take me a long time to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smallclub said:

I apologize if I piss on the parade but to my eyes these wrappers might be acceptable on many cigars but NOT on the Sir Winston. This cigar is known for its smooth, silky wrapper, devoid of any vein or grain.

Seing such a legend dressed in such a poor wrapper is appaling.

I absolutely agree, but they are still some of the best looking 2016s I've seen. The pickings have been very slim for recent production. 

It's just baffling to me how cigars with extremely limited production and that are considered "legends" like the HUSW can come out with poor wrappers and mediocre quality. Another HSA mystery...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LLC said:

Last month in Havana they were around. Myself and a friend each picked up a box of MEL DIC 16 and the wrappers were as oily as I've seen on any cigar. Will be a long while before I try one as I still have a ARG ABR 14 box it will take me a long time to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much did you pay down there and how does the quality of the ones I posted stack up?

16 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I absolutely agree, but they are still some of the best looking 2016s I've seen. The pickings have been very slim for recent production. 

It's just baffling to how cigars with extremely limited production and that are considered "legends" like the HUSW can come out with poor wrappers and mediocre quality. Another HSA mystery...

Do you really consider the quality "appalling" 

5 minutes ago, MNG024 said:

Do you really consider the quality "appalling" 

Not necessarily yours, but much of the 2016s I've seen so far, and taking into account the traditionally excellent SW wrappers.. But it seems like some who have seen more than I have in Cuba are apparently saying they're seeing better.

I have seen a few come through. Not enough for 24:24 yet and I am going through the backorders first (not taking any more backorders). 

Caveat. Wrapper quality is everywhere in what I have seen to date. There are some I just wouldn't sell to members. 

• Like 3