What's up for the weekend?

The mailman should be bringing me 3 care packages filled with Cohiba medio siglo, and 3 sizes of Bolivars. I will be like a kid at Christmas. Going to a housewarming-all cigar smokers- should be a blast. Otherwise cleaning guns, detailing cars, and a bunch of honey do stuff. Checking the liquior stores for rare burbons, shopping for a new gas range for the wife (hush money so she will not kill me over the cigar and burbon bill). Maybe take a drive in the convertible if the weather is decent

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like @canadianbeaver, my spouse and I are in Hawaii this week and through the weekend for a business reward trip.  This is the downtime just following spring break, so the island is fairly depopulated

Well I started the weekend having a nice long chat with @Fuzz and having a laugh about my near-death experience midweek. A 4WD Ute swerved into my lane across a painted median strip after he miss

Making a toasted cheese sandwich and reading junk mail. Enjoy living vicariously through me!

Supposed to rain all weekend here. 1/2 day at the shop Saturday then a birthday party. Praying for a couple hour break in the rain Sunday so I can finish up my deck. 

IMG_20170428_074740.thumb.jpg.be6e9b41aee13621cfb09372a3607697.jpg

Packing for 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Berlin, and Barcelona; headed out Tuesday...  The clothes are easy, it's the smokes that take some thought.

• Like 1

Today I am going to finish packing up everything in our apartment. Tomorrow, load the trailer with everything. We close and move into our first house on Tuesday. Hopefully I have time for a few cigars in between everything.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MrGlass said:

Flying trapeze on Saturday afternoon, and most likely Sunday morning as well.  I did my first ever swing with no safety lines last week which was pretty exciting, so hopefully we'll get to build on that this weekend.

Then somewhere in the middle I have to fire up cigar number 2 for the blind tasting.

Someone called Mr Glass flying on a trapeze.  This has disaster written all over it! :o

7 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Well I started the weekend having a nice long chat with @Fuzz and having a laugh about my near-death experience midweek.

A 4WD Ute swerved into my lane across a painted median strip after he missed the M5 Motorway turnoff from the Sydney Airport tarmac tunnel on General Holmes Drive on Wednesday. If I braked I would have been collected at 70 km/h on my side, with my son in the car too, but thankfully a Defensive Driving course 20 years ago allowed me to make a split-second decision to swerve into the left lane and choose to get hit by a 20 tonne truck on my rear.

The damage is minor, my son and I are well. Now I will spend my weekend writing a long MS Word document, including maps and images to my Insurance company to record exactly what happened. Thankfully I chased down the offender who caused the accident, and got his licence details. Also, the motorway at the site of the accident has Camera monitoring, so the accident would have been recorded.

Glad you had a lucky escape!  I was involved in a similar situation a few months back.  As inconvenient as it is to go through all the motions with the insurance and police, it's obviously better than what could have happened!  It has taken months to have the 3rd party insurer admit liability (luckily he had insurance).  Now, just waiting to see if the police are going to prosecute him for failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Smoker said:

Glad you had a lucky escape!  I was involved in a similar situation a few months back.  As inconvenient as it is to go through all the motions with the insurance and police, it's obviously better than what could have happened!  It has taken months to have the 3rd party insurer admit liability (luckily he had insurance).  Now, just waiting to see if the police are going to prosecute him for failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

Cheers my dear friend. I have the same path in front of me and I recognise it will take time to affirm liability. It's a process, and a slow one at that. I have a heightened sense of gratefulness though and an acute awareness of how the brain works under great stress, specifically in a life-endangering experience. 

I coincidentally watched a documentary on TV a week ago about how the brain 'lights up' when you are in a life-threatening situation, the synapses are lit up everywhere and your almond-shaped emotional centre of your brain is especially engaged, so much so that everything occurs in slow-motion, when in reality it's all split-second stuff. Thank God I had Defensive Driving training all those years ago as I was able to apply those skills literally without thinking.

• Like 1

Highly recommend a driving school. Have taken several from BMW and MB They have saved me on numerous occasions. Lots of people drive like idiots many with no insurance

Guest Nekhyludov

Enjoyed a Punch Coronation after work, then walked over to The Cathedral of Baseball to catch the Chicago Cubs visting the Red Sox on a beautiful spring evening. 

20170428_171641.thumb.jpg.f985d6496b599b5ebb9c0f353a05ad27.jpg

20170428_200031.thumb.jpg.ead596dc7ac56585dc871d78dd340fd5.jpg

Hey John S I just got rearended in early Feb. 2017.  Nothing major but enough to call my ambulance chasing lawyer and get a cracking lawsuit going.  Here in the states you don't sue the person driving the auto but you do sue thier insurance company.  The money you settle on between your lawyer and the insurance companies lawyer depends on a point system, the more points (injuries) the more doe, ray me (money) you receiveo.  And a rear end accident is always a winner. Here (states) you have to go to the chriopractor for six months and then wala.  Money from above.  Not sure what I'll be receiving 1/3rd to me, 1/3rd to the abulance chasing lawyer and a 3rd to the quack chriopractor doc.  I don't mean to hijack Rob's subject matter and also I'm happy you and your son are ok. Sounds like it could of been really bad.   If and whenyou g et a chance let me know how the insurance (auto) system works in Australia.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kuma said:

Hey John S I just got rearended in early Feb. 2017.  Nothing major but enough to call my ambulance chasing lawyer and

get a cracking lawsuit going.  Here in the states you don't sue the person driving the auto but you do sue thier insurance

company.  The money you settle on between your lawyer and the insurance companies lawyer depends on a point

system, the more points (injuries) the more doe, ray me (money) you receiveo.  And a rear end accident is always a winner.

Here (states, Conn.) you have to go to the chriopractor for six months and then wala.  Money from above.  Not sure what I'll

be receiving 1/3rd to me, 1/3rd to the abulance chasing lawyer and a 3rd to the quack chriopractor doc.  I don't

mean to hijack Rob's subject matter and also I'm happy you and your son are ok. Sounds like it could of

been really bad.   If and whenyou g et a chance

let me know how the insurance (auto) system works in Australia.

Hmmm. Bold play here. Not sure I would post this. Were you truly injured? Because "wala" is a nice, albeit suspect, manner in which to describe recovery from bodily harm thanks to a "quack" doctor.

As to the wonderful design and structure of our legal system, I'll leave the billions of dollars of national harm and retardation to our economy that these actions cause for another discussion. 

• Like 3

Plants!  Taking the wife to a Japanese super market on Sat. and buy veggy plants for the garden. This being spring in New England it is time to plant.  This year we will attempt to grow; mini eggplant, Japanese peppers, cherry tomatos, Japanese cucbumbers, kale, romane lettce.  Also making a re-entry in the garden are the two blueberry bushes, raseberry bushes, peach tree which grow whites peachs if only the wife can keep the gray squirrels from stealing them   Each year this tree has been growing fantastic peachs only to have the rodents (squirrels) steal them.  Poor wife has tried everything under the sun ( 5 years) to protect the peaches but to no avail, so looks like it will be round six with the wifey in one corner and the gray squirrels in the other. So far my wife is 0 - 5 advantange rodents.  Also we have two quince bushes.  They are a tart fruit that when mashed with a little suger make for a wonderful jam w/toast.  Last but not least are a couple of strawberry bushes that come back each year and produce fruit, not sure why but they do return.  Well Rob those are the plans for Sat. and Sunday I'm kicking back and watching 3 EPL games from jolly ole England.  ESPN, Fox and NBCSC broadcast both the English and German soccer games at varring times on Sundays here on the east coast of the states.  I think Man. City played at home and drew Man. United in one of the most famous darbies.  Not sure what a darby is but it sounds cool the way the Brits say it.  Anyway mate get well soon. 

Of course neck, shoulder, back, all screwed up!  The way it works mate.  I did not invent the

system.  My choice of words are "terms of endearment" for the doc / lawyer!

And "Wala" refers to the case getting settled.

Guest Nekhyludov
21 minutes ago, kuma said:

Of course neck, shoulder, back, all screwed up!  The way it works mate.  I did not invent the

system.  My choice of words are "terms of endearment" for the doc / lawyer!

?

1 hour ago, Duxnutz said:

Geez, glad your ok @JohnS

If there was an event to light up something nice...

Likewise John.  Take a break and celebrate the moment.  It could so easily have ended up worse.  Good to hear no physical injuries as well.

• Like 1

After my long talk to @JohnS, I'm afraid to say, the accident did affect him quite severely. His injuries have severely affected him to the point where he's taking waaay too long to smoke a petit corona (45-60min), and his mental state is none too good either.... he was considering smoking an NC! :P

• Like 1

On 28/04/2017 at 0:32 PM, El Presidente said:

tried a toasted cheese sandwich for lunch. couldn't keep it down. Oh how I envy you ! 

Part 1 of my weekend is complete! Now where's that junk mail?....

20170429_124601.thumb.jpg.8c4bf254944330f67c8b4dfbed26f5a8.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

After my long talk to @JohnS, I'm afraid to say, the accident did affect him quite severely. His injuries have severely affect him, to the point where he's taking waaay too long to smoke a petit corona (45-60min), and his mental state is none too good either.... he was considering smoking an NC! :P

Its simply shock Fuzz.  You should provide him with a good LE and cocktail and sing calming tunes.