Where do you wear your wristwatch?

Where do you wear your wristwatch?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am ambidextrous. I write with my left hand and jerk... ahhhhh, throw a ball with my right. -LOL I am right eye dominant so I shoot right-handed as well.

I wear my watch, when I wear it on my right hand. It is more natural for me to curl my hand in and pivot at the wrist, than to curl it backwards. I type a lot so a watch is irritating most of the time, right or left, yet nicking and binding the underside of my wrist, mashing the face agains the edge of a desk when typing would be intollerable.

I wear a 'sloppy' watch. No, not the brand, but the fact that I like it loose. I cannot stand the bind on my wrist. It might be the memories of cell block 'C.' -LOL I can actually rotate my watch around my wrist, almost as loose as a bracelet.

-Piggy

On 4/28/2017 at 6:01 PM, Smoker said:

those guys who wear their watch on the right wrist.....don't you have difficulty if you need to wind the watch, or adjust the date etc?  I guess you take it off for these tasks?

I wear left out but still have to remove the watch for any adjustments. I find it too difficult to screw the crown back down while still on my wrist 

• Like 1

Sir Pig, always good to see you kicking about. I've been stealthy but hope to be more visible.

I am right there with recent comments. I use a glass top Ikea desk and the frosted edge will scuff steel and because of that and keyboard use, I will remove the watch at station. Watch always comes off for the infrequent adjustments. For automatics that I'm waking up, set it and charge it up a bit prior to donning. 

For me, finding the right fit always takes tweaking. Some manufacturers give you a little extra adjustability...Steinhart, for example, include two width of links in some of their bracelets and in combination with the clasp adjustments, I can get it just perfect. 

Another clasp type I've recently come to appreciate is the diver ratcheting clasp. Usually the watch goes on a bit loose but tightens up as the wrist gets warm and occasionally dewy. With the ratchet, I put it on fully ratcheted down and then let it out a click as needed. Brilliant.

Wilkey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginseng said:

Sir Pig, always good to see you kicking about. I've been stealthy but hope to be more visible.

I am right there with recent comments. I use a glass top Ikea desk and the frosted edge will scuff steel and because of that and keyboard use, I will remove the watch at station. Watch always comes off for the infrequent adjustments. For automatics that I'm waking up, set it and charge it up a bit prior to donning. 

For me, finding the right fit always takes tweaking. Some manufacturers give you a little extra adjustability...Steinhart, for example, include two width of links in some of their bracelets and in combination with the clasp adjustments, I can get it just perfect. 

Another clasp type I've recently come to appreciate is the diver ratcheting clasp. Usually the watch goes on a bit loose but tightens up as the wrist gets warm and occasionally dewy. With the ratchet, I put it on fully ratcheted down and then let it out a click as needed. Brilliant.

Wilkey

I am a Rolex guy too I am afraid. My oldest, a black dial Sub. One thing I like about them is the flip out wet-suit fast resize (something like you mentioned). Since I wear it on my right hand, I will at times flip it out so I can push it up the forearm a bit and type. I don't like to wear watches much any more but do often when working and sometimes when going out. I would rather wear a watch than carry a phone for time. While watches annoy me, I HATE CELL PHONES!

Good to hear from you my friend. -R

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

I am a Rolex guy too I am afraid. My oldest, a black dial Sub. One thing I like about them is the flip out wet-suit fast resize (something like you mentioned). Since I wear it on my right hand, I will at times flip it out so I can push it up the forearm a bit and type. I don't like to wear watches much any more but do often when working and sometimes when going out. I would rather wear a watch than carry a phone for time. While watches annoy me, I HATE CELL PHONES!

Good to hear from you my friend. -R

Buying this one real soon, but she's a Blue dial!

20170104_113327.jpg

• Like 1

On 29/04/2017 at 3:01 PM, Smoker said:

I agree that having the face on the inner wrist is unusual.  But I'm interested in knowing the origin or reasons for people who wear their watch on the outer wrist.  Some have said that it's easier to scratch the dial if you are resting your hands/wrists on a desk or keyboard.....hmmmmm.  I personally don't find this to be the case, but I can see what they mean.  Still, I believe it is more natural to look at something on the inside of your wrist.  Imagine you had a pocket watch...you would look at it with your wrist turned in.  In fact, when we put anything in our hand to look at, we have our wrist turned inwards.  I think the main reason for the outer dial being conventional is because that is how watches appear in advertisments (advertisers tell consumers what to do).  Over time, people just copy each other, as that is what appears 'normal' or 'correct'.

Also, regarding the Rolex forum....I think most poeple who buy a Rolex probably want everyone to see it.  So this could be biased data. :D

That would be because our fingers curl in towards our palms, not over our knuckles. Would be pretty hard to look at something in the palm of your hand if it was facing down... unless you have Superman's x-ray vision.

6 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Buying this one real soon, but she's a Blue dial!

20170104_113327.jpg

... that looks like ankle side in to me...! -LOL

Beautiful watch. If I were in the market for a new watch it would be an all gold sub. but I have better things to do with the dough. That is a pleasant way of saying I cannot afford it!

Do they mix and match faces and dials now. My black is all black and my blue is all blue. I never wear the blue as my black is pretty hammered and I like it that way. I have had that watch for 30 years come November.

Pick on Rolex's if you will but when you think of having a watch for 30 years, I got my money's worth out of my black. I bought my sub when people wanted thin watches. Big watches were out... Pretty funny when you think about both watches and cigars today!!!

-Piggy

• Like 1

Beautiful watch. If I were in the market for a new watch it would be an all gold sub. but I have better things to do with the dough. That is a pleasant way of saying I cannot afford it!

Do they mix and match faces and dials now. My black is all black and my blue is all blue. I never wear the blue as my black is pretty hammered and I like it that way. I have had that watch for 30 years come November.

Pick on Rolex's if you will but when you think of having a watch for 30 years, I got my money's worth out of my black. I bought my sub when people wanted thin watches. Big watches were out... Pretty funny when you think about both watches and cigars today!!!

-Piggy

If that watch is truly 30 years old I guarantee you it's worth many times over what you paid for it.... leave it in its worn condition and you have a nice investment... is it a 1680 or 16800 sub?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, amaxp81 said:

If that watch is truly 30 years old I guarantee you it's worth many times over what you paid for it.... leave it in its worn condition and you have a nice investment... is it a 1680 or 16800 sub?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't know one from the other. I am just the 'dude' that wears it!

I will post a pic of it later, I have to find it... and you can tell me. If I told you what I paid for it, you would faint! -LOL

Actually, my brain is fuzzy here. I bought it for my birthday in 1985, not '87. That makes it 32 in November!!! It has held up better than I have!!! I have done everything with it, including weld with it on! It has outlasted cars, homes, a couple of joints (knee and hip) and even wives!!!

I am pretty sure I still have the box with all the literature, even that paper with all the micro holes punched in it.

-Piggy

13 hours ago, PigFish said:

-Piggy

There are guys on the Rolex forum I belong who buy 30K watches like some of us buy a box of Robustos. Unbelievable. I have 2 Submariners I am giving up plus cash to acquire one solid gold Sub. 

No they don't mix dial and bezel colors normally. A yellow gold Sub is available with blue dial/bezel or black dial/bezel. A white gold Sub is only available with Blue dial/bezel and it is a lighter shade of blue. 

These are my 2 currently 

20170413_230733.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ginseng said:

Off topic-ish question:

Is the cyclops ground out of the sapphire crystal or is it a separate piece affixed with optical adhesive?

Wilkey

Cyclops is a separate piece glued on. I believe it is made of sapphire just like the crystal. I have been wearing Rolex for 25 years and never scratched of broken a crystal. Dropping the watch on a tile floor can be deadly for a Rolex $$$$$$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

There are guys on the Rolex forum I belong who buy 30K watches like some of us buy a box of Robustos. Unbelievable. I have 2 Submariners I am giving up plus cash to acquire one solid gold Sub. 

No they don't mix dial and bezel colors normally. A yellow gold Sub is available with blue dial/bezel or black dial/bezel. A white gold Sub is only available with Blue dial/bezel and it is a lighter shade of blue. 

These are my 2 currently 

20170413_230733.jpg

Well trust me, I am not bustin' your chops for loving a watch I too would love to have. My perspective is just a bit tainted these days as there is some merit in having one so worn you no longer cry over it... I call it 'new boat' syndrome! I have been there!!!

Ooo. don't walk there. Get the sand off the bottom of the ice chest... No, I don't just plow it into the shore!!! -LOL

Then you see some kids with a beater try-hull. No worries there. Shore, put it on it, rocks be damned! Dock bumpers, what are those. Fishing? Sure! -LOL Black is like an old tri-hull...

5907837aea4ee_2017-05-0110_41_27.thumb.jpg.f87f9752b4fe95a30767ac99d63153c5.jpg5907837d85604_2017-05-0110_41_46.thumb.jpg.ae2e1a1cacfdef9064a98c95860ed258.jpg5907837fdfdf1_2017-05-0110_42_07.thumb.jpg.70910874791a68a269ba9f311aa64239.jpg

I actually have dents in the band... Will be 32 in November.

Had no idea that the 'bubble' was glued on. I guess I will stop cleaning the thing with brake cleaner!

-Piggy

• Like 2

The only person I know who wears his watch facing in, is an old uncle, never seen anyone else wear it like that. 

Im left wrist facing out when I do wear one, seem to be wearing one less and less for some reason. 

I wear mine on the left, but with the bracelet quite loose. So sometimes it faces out and sometimes in. However when I put it on in the morning it starts facing out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk