Large Humis.... "The Redford"

amaxp81

That's serious nice. What retailers? And how much? Seems like (according to what is said above) it's a no brainer set up.

It's about $1600 before shipping which bumps it to nearly 2k... I just wonder what real world storage is versus loose sticks... Tempted to spend the extra $500 or so and get the larger one that's about 20 inches taller with two more racks and claims 2000 capacity!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That is definitely a great gift, you got a keeper of a wife!  With that said, you have to think about the angled shelving and how many single loose sticks you want to store vs boxes.  Angled shelves in a cabinet are not ideal for box storage.  In reading, sounds like you can take out the dividers on the bottom shelves to put boxes in there.  I'd be curious to see how they built the shelves... as in what the space looks like between the 2nd and 3rd pullout shelves.  With the flat shelf meeting the angled one above, is that wasted space between the two?   That's what I'd be worried about.  Wasted storage space with angled shelving. 

Depending on you storing loose cigars vs boxes, I'd personally be hesitant to order the larger unit.  If you want more box storage long term, you are better off with flat shelves. 

• Like 1

ALWAYS go larger than you think you'll need. The lure of the 24:24 and this new found space will keep you buying boxes. If all you're doing is singles, that humi is great. But you'll be more and more tempted to go to the dark side and start acquiring all sorts of new boxes and cabinets.  It fills up quickly!

• Like 1

Hello,

I actually posted a review of the same humidor around 5 or 6 years ago. Overall it was a decent performer. I did find a lot of humidity fluctuations whenever the compressor kicked on. This was resolved by adding beads. About a year ago it finally died on me and I ended up get one made by aristocrat humidors. It has been a stellar performer for me.

Here is my review of the Remington Humidor: 

Here is my review of my Aristocrat Humidor: 

• Like 1

It's nice, but i should have gotten the Remington.  It gets filled fast.   Get a good hygrometer and calibrate the Redford's before trying to rely on it.  It wil likely need it.  Has worked well so far.  One feature I do not like is the heater. We do not run heat in the house so the unit kicks on to raise temps, and it heats up boxes on the right side towards the back.  I simply dropped the temp in winter to avoid heater turning on.  It's too full to rearrange boxes away from the heated air flow.  Might be fine with less boxes.   I do like it.  

That was damn nice of your wife!  Does she have a sister?? :P   Beautiful humidor!

1250 sticks are plenty to have immediate access to, with the rest going into your tried and true cooler for LT aging.  50 boxes never fit in a space perfectly (as we cooler/tupper guys know), but even with partially filled boxes you'll probably have 800-1,000 on hand in that beauty. :cigar:

6 hours ago, amaxp81 said:

It's about $1600 before shipping which bumps it to nearly 2k... I just wonder what real world storage is versus loose sticks... Tempted to spend the extra $500 or so and get the larger one that's about 20 inches taller with two more racks and claims 2000 capacity!

I've been so close to getting one of these. I say the $500 is worth almost double the storage! It's nice to have wives that support our habits!

These cigar humidors and not needing a cooler is all a ruse. Very similar to the late George Carlin and his explanation of home buying. You get a house to keep your s&@t in. Then you get more s&@t so you get a bigger house. To put it more in perspective I know several brothers that have purchased 2000 stick uprights. Managed to squeeze about 1300 in due to boxes and such. Once the 100 qt cooler was full he bought another tower and now it is full and he is overflowing into his cooler again. My belief is the only time your humidor is big enough is when you run out of spare $$ to overfill said humidor.

It's a nice unit.

I have the taller one, the Remington. Got it two years ago on Amazon for $2000, with free shipping.  I took out some of the shelves to make room for more boxes.  Playing Tetris, it easily holds 75 boxes.  That includes several 50 cabs of Lusitanias,  Punch DC, RASS and HDM epi 2and quite a few other large format cigars in 25 count boxes. I did have issues with humidity swings and balance so I added 12v computer fans for circulation and a few lbs of beads.  No problems.  

We'll, other than not enough storage space anymore. ;)

On 5/4/2017 at 11:14 AM, amaxp81 said:

The bottom line is this. The fact that you've chosen to smoke CC instead of cigars made elsewhere around the world, that means long term storage. Once you head in this direction, these things fill up quickly with cigars you won't be smoking for quite some time. Yes, some will smoke well upon arrival or after a short time, but for the most part, you'll be aging a large number of boxes. As a long time CC smoker, I age about 60-80 boxes at any given time....and that's not that many. As they dwindle down in each box, those get banded with box codes and moved to a singles drawer...then more boxes are purchased.

Our humidors are like living, breathing entities that evolve over time like we do...and it also reflects how your taste change over time as well. You may go through months where you prefer smoking fuller bodied cigars and during those times you may buy more of that flavor profile. Then there may be times when you desire more of a lighter, medium bodied smoke over many months...if that's the case, you may purchase more of that profile cigar. All these changes in your preferences will be reflected many years later as your cigars age and come into their own.  

Also, please consider your commitment to smoking cigars. Is this something you see yourself doing 5, 10, 20 years from now? As a kid growing up in a family of CC smokers, I saw it as inevitable that I would smoke them. It was more than just rolled up tobacco leaves, it represented family, friends, and good times for as long as I could remember. Some of my friends liked my cigars, would smoke with me for some time until they got into them, only to bail on smoking them 7-8 years later because of family pressure of smoking in general. 

If you're already a seasoned smoker and know this is something you'll enjoy until your last breath, go bigger. If you're not sure, stick with the smaller one...you can always either sell it and upgrade to a larger one...or just buy a second one. So keep all this in mind as you ponder whether to go larger. 

• Like 1

About 4 to 5 years ago, my wife had an unexpected wave of sympathy for my vices and bought me not only the Redford Humidor but also a 144 bottle wine cooler.

The Redford has done a good job for me over the past several years keeping my cigars adequately cool in the Florida climate where I live. It's basically a Chinese made refrigeration unit with aromatic cedar shelving and wooden cabinetry surrounding it. I'm waiting for the compressor to die on me but it has kept on going so far.

I do not use the humidification system built into the humidor because after I had filled the water basin, within less than 2 weeks there was rust forming on the inside. I just use humidification beads or a small container of water on the bottom. I've been thinking of getting an Oasis unit but it hasn't really been necessary.

I also think the cedar shelves used for my unit are not Spanish cedar, it's some sort of other aromatic cedar that I've wanted to replace but have never gotten around to it.

I also wish the top two shelves were flat rather than tilted forward for display to improve capacity.630205eddb7af080eeda1b0b4f3aa310.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 3 years later...