Rye paired with cigars

I see a lot of whiskey, scotch and bourbon paired with cigars... anyone here enjoy a good rye with their smoke?

I figure that mongrel pairs great with mongrel as well. What are your experiences? Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

We do we have a few fans here of Rye Whiskey, if which I am one. Rittenhouse, Sazerac or Lot 40, I love them all. I also am fond of making Rye Old-fashioneds and Manhattans to enjoy with cigars.

I like rye for mixing and do enjoy it on occasion.  It pairs well.  Willett makes a nice rye also but is only a 3 year old.

• Like 1

I really only drink rye. As you said the spice really helps waken up the senses. I too make Old fashioneds consistently with cigars.

HighWest Double Rye is my choice as it's very spicy. If drinking neat, an aged Whistle Pig can't be beat.

• Like 1

Occasionally I go for a tumbler of Crown Royal when I get a deal on it, but Scotch is a mainstay, and bourbon is a regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, anacostiakat said:

I like rye for mixing and do enjoy it on occasion.  It pairs well.  Willett makes a nice rye also but is only a 3 year old.

Willett 2 year old rye is one of my favorites, alongside Rittenhouse. With the 2yr, you can taste that it is a young whiskey, but I think to somehow works with the spice of the rye. Willett also has 6, 7 and 8 year ryes, but those are not actually their own mash. 

• Like 1

My favorite rye is Whistle Pig out of Vermont, but my day to day rye is Bulleit.  My wife and I both enjoy rye with some cigars and Woodford Reserve bourbon or Zacapa 23 rum with other cigars.  I do believe that you need to pair certain drinks with specific cigars as you would pair wine with food.

I would add Angels Envy rye and Mitchners Cask strength Rye to the aforementioned excellent ryes. If you can find it the Mitchners 10 year rye is supposed to be off the chart

Personally, I prefer Weller Antique 107 burbon over the rye.  Finding it may be difficult because of people like me who raid the liquior stores when it comes out. It is available on the secondary market if you are willing to shell out a C note or more for a bottle. MSRP is only 24.00 but good luck finding it at that price

4 hours ago, bobbutcher said:

My fav rye would have to be old overholt in an old fashioned while enjoying a cigar, just hard to come by here.

Old Overholt is a great rye, and dirt cheap.  

My current favorites are Hudson and Whistle Pig, but I won't turn my nose up at any.  

I like it best if someone else is buying. 

• Like 2

I'm a big rye fan. I love me a Rittenhouse Manhatten or Old Fashioned. For anyone in the Midwest, I've recently been enjoying a local Wisconsin distillery's take on the old Pennsylvania style of rye. It's less pickle juice tasting and highly recommended. Circa $30. 

Pikesville, Michters, Baby Saz and Jeffersons round out my usual cheaper Rye. Michters 10 yr goes well with cigars, T. Handy I find too hot. 

• Like 1

I'll 2nd Willett 2yr as an excellent rye whiskey - some of the best I've had.

I've had a hard time pairing rye whiskey with cigars, however. Of course, I usually just drink water so as to not drown out the flavors.

• Like 1

I would add Angels Envy rye and Mitchners Cask strength Rye to the aforementioned excellent ryes. If you can find it the Mitchners 10 year rye is supposed to be off the chart

Personally, I prefer Weller Antique 107 burbon over the rye.  Finding it may be difficult because of people like me who raid the liquior stores when it comes out. It is available on the secondary market if you are willing to shell out a C note or more for a bottle. MSRP is only 24.00 but good luck finding it at that price

Really? It's always on the shelves here for 26 or 27 bucks.

Back to the topic, Woodford does a rye I like and then a local distillery does another good one, have to check which it is after I'm home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of both Rye and Bourbon with cigars. For me, it depends on my mood and the cigar. But some of my favorites are any of the Willets, Whistle Pig or Michters -- but they are usually in the pricey end. I also love High West Rendezvous Rye, and Russell's -10 yr bourbon. For best value, I love Rittenhouse. Finally, if you haven't tried it, I highly recommend Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea. I don't know if the method or story is a gimmick or not ... but it is one tasty bourbon!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rye is my drink of choice with a cigar. Sazerac, Pikesville, Angels Envy Rye, EH Taylor Rye, and a Russell's Reserve Rye Single Barrel are by far my favorites. 

Rittenhouse is a great value as well. Sazerac is the best value of all at around $30 a bottle if you can find it retail. When I do, I buy a case!

For what it's worth, rye usually needs less time in the barrel than bourbon to mature. 

On 5/5/2017 at 0:14 AM, JohnS said:

We do we have a few fans here of Rye Whiskey, of which I am one. Rittenhouse, Sazerac or Lot 40, I love them all. I also am fond of making Rye Old-fashioneds and Manhattans to enjoy with cigars.

John, it's not a Rye Old-fashioned, it's just an Old Fashioned. ;)

Drives me nuts when bartenders act like using Rye is such a novel concept.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SinfullyPatient said:

John, it's not a Rye Old-fashioned, it's just an Old Fashioned. ;)

Drives me nuts when bartenders act like using Rye is such a novel concept.  

Of course, well said! :clap:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/5/2017 at 0:14 AM, JohnS said:

We do we have a few fans here of Rye Whiskey, of which I am one. Rittenhouse, Sazerac or Lot 40, I love them all. I also am fond of making Rye Old-fashioneds and Manhattans to enjoy with cigars.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:20 AM, MPfit said:

Angels envy rye is amazing. I use it in place of rum often due to the sweetness from the rum barrel aging. Just a steep price; however one of the most unique ryes on the market.

I picked up Lot 40 Rye and Angel's Envy (bourbon as rye was sold out). Both were amazingly smooth with just a touch of spice that intrigues the palate yet lets a great cigar shine through. Different experience definitely from Scotch and welcome one at that. Paired these with a ULA JUN 15 Bolivar Tubos No. 1 from our host right of the truck... WOW 

Personally the Angel's Envy was a match made in heaven (no pun intended). Will have to leave a review this week. Thank you for all of the suggestions!

IMG_6403.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

• Like 2

I'm fond of most rye, yet the ones I gravitate to the most are Pikesville, Sazerac, George Dickel, and Wild Turkey. For me, the Dickel pairs the best...then Pikesville.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2