Federal Budget to target Cigar smokers

If only CPI increased twice a year for wages, haven't had a real pay rise in a decade 

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do not fret comrades! The proletariat will be a more happy and efficient workforce without the corrupt and bourgeois tobacco weed! Tractor production will increase even more when this decadent addicti

Seems like it maybe a continuation of the 12.5% increase very 12 months it's fast becoming a rich mans hobby and that's wrong because cigars and all comradary and laughter they bring is CLASSELESS 

Yes Two of them. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Australia may have averted negative growth in 2008 with the impact worldwide of the subprime mortgage crisis (yes, thanks to our dear friends in Western Australia who have propped up our country on the back of a long resource boom), but sustained growth can't last forever. At some point we'll have to go backwards. Will taxes fall in line with falling CPI at the time? Hmmm...I wonder!

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Australia may have averted negative growth in 2008 with the impact worldwide of the subprime mortgage crisis (yes, thanks to our dear friends in Western Australia who have propped up our country on the back of a long resource boom), but sustained growth can't last forever. At some point we'll have to go backwards. Will taxes fall in line with falling CPI at the time? Hmmm...I wonder!

That was a rhetorical "wondering", wasn't it?  

When do taxes ever really go down?  Most of the time, they spruik some piddly little cut in one place and carefully avoid alerting you to the hike somewhere else.  Case in point: the 2% budget repair levy is going, woo hoo ... but wait, Medicare levy is going up by 0.5%!  So you save $400 at one end but are paying $1,000 more somewhere else.  

Politics ... from the Greek "poly" for "many" and "tics" for "blood-sucking insects".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leopolis Semper Fidelis said:

Nanny state in New Zealand wants to make that country "smoke-free" by 2025, so the tobacco taxes keep going up and up and up.  It appears most cigar imports entering through the mail system there (even as few as three cigars) are hit savagely with tax, inspection duty, agricultural products duty and anything else they can think of levying - with GST added to the mix.  Of course it is done in the name of protecting the populace and having their good health at heart.

Well, if they ever did their sums, what they must really want is for us to quit smoking, quit drinking, quit fatty foods, quit sugar.  They want us healthy and fit for our entire lives ... and then they must want us to drop dead at 67 because the longer we live, the bigger the burden on the pensions and healthcare budgets.  Cancer may be nasty and horrible and a tragedy on the personal level, but in pure terms of cost, nothing beats old age care.  

2 hours ago, gweilgi said:

Well, if they ever did their sums, what they must really want is for us to quit smoking, quit drinking, quit fatty foods, quit sugar.  They want us healthy and fit for our entire lives ... and then they must want us to drop dead at 67 because the longer we live, the bigger the burden on the pensions and healthcare budgets.  Cancer may be nasty and horrible and a tragedy on the personal level, but in pure terms of cost, nothing beats old age care.  

No, no, no. That's not the plan. They want us to live long and healthy lives so they can increase the retirement age, and then when we retire, we have to go into retirement homes because we're too old to live on our own. Then to combat the ever increasing price on groceries, they introduce a brand new product... Soylent Green! Interesting enough, the Soylent Green factories are right next to the retirement homes.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Correction, John. CPI increases for tobacco occurs twice a year; now March & September each year, previously in Feb & August. The 12.5% increase in September is an additional gift bestowed upon us by the Govt.

Secondhand car or insurance salesmen? The creepy old DJ who has been working in the same strip club for the last 30 years?

Nice try Fuzz, but these are mere neophytes of the sleazy...Ummm, what I meant to say, is...I wouldn't know anything about DJ's in strip clubs!  :innocent: 

That's it! I've had enough! I'm going to buy a big property out in the country somewhere and start growing my own tobacco!

7 minutes ago, Luca said:

That's it! I've had enough! I'm going to buy a big property out in the country somewhere and start growing my own tobacco!

You will be in less trouble if you sell ice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Auspaul said:

It's funny because it's so true!!! Haha!!

36 minutes ago, Auspaul said:

35 minutes ago, Luca said:

It's funny because it's so true!!! Haha!!

Yep, ice is more affordable nowadays. Only $10 for 3 bags!

coles_box.jpg.0c5152e50a60a69b2f1389653631e2ff.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Luca said:

But then you need curing sheds and cigar rollers ...

Much easier and MUCH more profitable to buy a yacht and start smuggling sticks....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gweilgi said:

But then you need curing sheds and cigar rollers ...

Much easier and MUCH more profitable to buy a yacht and start smuggling sticks....

True! But I wan't to live off the grid and wear a tinfoil hat. I'll be one of those guys that don't form part of Aussie census data.

On May 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM, OZCUBAN said:

People who use roll-your-own tobacco or smoke cigars might feel some pain after the budget.
Those products are set to be taxed more, bringing them into line with the tax rates on cigarettes.
The change will be phased in over the next four years, and will contribute $360 million to the budget over the same period.

After years of massive tax hikes on our cigars the pain is set to increase its the only time I wish I was American were Tobacco tax and a customs department seem to be non existent ?

Your politicians must have visited Chicago. They taxed cigs so high they started losing money on people who quit buying them and started rolling their own. They started raising taxes on bulk tobacco a few years ago to make up for it . Now they found a new angle for those that said screw it and started vaping. Yep they got their claws into that now. Starting in July we are also fortunate to have a penny per ounce tax on sugary drinks. You see, all this money is to help save the children. Its a blessing to have such caring politicians who want to help the children. Its always about the children. We cant have obese children from sugary drinks. We cant have children smoking. The exceptional part is that people who are on government assistance will not have to pay the sugar  tax . My favorite is the plastic grocery bag tax. I think its 10 cents per bag. Thats not for the children , thats to save the planet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smokum said:

Your politicians must have visited Chicago. They taxed cigs so high they started losing money on people who quit buying them and started rolling their own. They started raising taxes on bulk tobacco a few years ago to make up for it . Now they found a new angle for those that said screw it and started vaping. Yep they got their claws into that now. Starting in July we are also fortunate to have a penny per ounce tax on sugary drinks. You see, all this money is to help save the children. Its a blessing to have such caring politicians who want to help the children. Its always about the children. We cant have obese children from sugary drinks. We cant have children smoking. The exceptional part is that people who are on government assistance will not have to pay the sugar  tax . My favorite is the plastic grocery bag tax. I think its 10 cents per bag. Thats not for the children , thats to save the planet. 

That will be our future down here

5 hours ago, smokum said:

a646c45633cfab95a2aaf727480883aba7de652148fb3601db61853a62d3b3da.jpg.ce231c05d38a104095288ea2499696ab.jpg

On 5/9/2017 at 4:16 AM, OZCUBAN said:

People who use roll-your-own tobacco or smoke cigars might feel some pain after the budget.
Those products are set to be taxed more, bringing them into line with the tax rates on cigarettes.
The change will be phased in over the next four years, and will contribute $360 million to the budget over the same period.

After years of massive tax hikes on our cigars the pain is set to increase its the only time I wish I was American were Tobacco tax and a customs department seem to be non existent ?

I love you for who you are mate, but I would love to have you as a neighbor.

I am thinking of retiring and moving to a freer state, maybe just run my humidor business full time.

I HATE GOVERNMENT, YOURS, MINE AND OURS!

My state government just decided that it was okay to be a member of the Communist Party and work in state government! God help us!

-the Pig

• Like 2

The feelings mutual Ray think of the fun we could have all hazardous to our health mind you 

cheers Amigo ?❤️

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OZCUBAN said:

The feelings mutual Ray think of the fun we could have all hazardous to our health mind you 

cheers Amigo ?❤️

Yeah mate, we could burn up copious amounts of a members charcoal, roast red meats, smoke cigars, light off firecrackers and play with spray paint. Did I mention the banned by Ken word. We could recreate with those too!

We could even fry French Fries in peanut oil and transfats... Oh, yeah baby...!

-Ray

• Like 2

You just took the words right of my mouth. We have vilified tobacco...let's keep milking it and find something else to pump for money...how about sugar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On May 9, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Sean3 said:

Is there anything sleazier than a politician?

Clearly in the US and Oz, that would be a NO!

It would be nice if the fokkers in government and special interests would simply stop telling everyone else what to do and how to live!  And those fokkers are supposed to be our "representatives".  What an unfortunate joke!  

• Like 2