Partagas 898 with White Wine

moryc

Over the Easter I was over at my parents and was having white wine with the dinner.  I am not big on wines in general, but when it comes down to it I will choose the white over red any day.  The wine of choice was Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Chardonnay 2013.  After dinner I decided to spark up a Partagas 898, took a sip of the wine and a puff.  My oh my, what a pleasant surprise, the two paired perfectly for my taste buds.  I ended up going through two bottles of wine and two 898s.  This resulted in a very unpleasant following day, but I'll do it all over again.

Has anyone else have any experiences with white wine and cigars? 

I find that red wines don't really go well with cigars.  The only exception being Port.  Any amount of tannins seem to throw the cigar off for me.  White wines pair better for my palate, especially bubblies. (Champagne, Cava, Prosecco, etc). Sauternes also pairs well. 

• Like 1

I like the more oxidized styles of white like from the Jura of France, Rioja Blanca, or Musar White.  Madeira (usually from white grapes) is my favorite cigar wine with cigars, followed by Champagne.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bundwallah said:

I find that red wines don't really go well with cigars.  The only exception being Port.  Any amount of tannins seem to throw the cigar off for me.  White wines pair better for my palate, especially bubblies. (Champagne, Cava, Prosecco, etc). Sauternes also pairs well. 

You must not be drinking port of significant age then as the tannins mellow out after 20+ years.

1 minute ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You must not be drinking port of significant age then as the tannins mellow out after 20+ years.

The oldest Port I've got my hands on is 20YO.  But even more recent vintages are fine for me.  I'd say it has to do with the higher sugar content that makes it work for me. 

10 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

No reds with cigars for me either - I prefer a crisp white.

Acidity is the most important factor for pairing wine and cigar.  The acid is needed to cleanse the palate.