Wraps cracking?

Jonesy22

Hey all - another question for you... some of my wrappers have been breaking apart while smoking...seem to be fine before....rh problem? Once I calibrated my hydrometer I'm at 64rh while staying pretty much at 61°f...any help greatly appreciated.   Any suggestions on where to start on my rh target for this temp?

Could indicate cigars are swelling. If you recently lower rH, which I recall you saying you had 70 beads and trying to lower to mid 60s. The cigars may be still to wet. Wrapper is dry but filler is wet still and causes cigar to swell and crack the wrapper. Where do you live? What is ambient humidity? That can affect the wrapper too after taking it out of 64/61.
Hope this helps.
I am sure others will chime in and have some reasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

Could indicate cigars are swelling. If you recently lower rH, which I recall you saying you had 70 beads and trying to lower to mid 60s. The cigars may be still to wet. Wrapper is dry but filler is wet still and causes cigar to swell and crack the wrapper. Where do you live? What is ambient humidity? That can affect the wrapper too after taking it out of 64/61.
Hope this helps.
I am sure others will chime in and have some reasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah did calibrate my new hydrometer and was reading 65, so haven't messed with anything too much there looking for a good middle ground to shoot for at that temp...still such a newbie my apologies...live in nw pa, humidity today about 53%.   Thank you for you're help!

I agree with Havana could be cigars have not acclimatized to new RH.  Other possibility is you are having swings in RH and you do not know it.  Do you have a hydro where you can track RH throughout the day (push type)?

Jonesy22, What do you cut with and where are you cutting your stick?

On 5/12/2017 at 11:54 AM, Jonesy22 said:

... some of my wrappers have been breaking apart while smoking...

Sometimes cutting too far in will allow it to unravel; are the wrappers unraveling or are they breaking/busting like a bratwurst does sometimes on the grill?

• 3 weeks later...

adjust the HR level to 69-72 % first, try to find a better spot so the temperature would be steady around 18-25 C , same for HR level (61 seems low to me , depends different region thus)

i tired before that allocate all my cigars out in a cool place for 2 hours then put all cigars back, Put 20ml distill water inside humidor but far distance away from the cigars for 2-4 hours , checking HR and ur cigar condition. 

always dry your cigars and humidor once a while , and re-function your humidifier again by distill water