Back From Disney

Well, looks like the 8th dwarf has been outed - Bitchy!  Kidding!  Lived in Orlando - Disney World city.  Agree that the 'Magic Kingdom' can be rough for those of us who are just not into overcrowded amusement parks.  Animal Kingdom, on the other hand, is well worth a visit and the food there is pretty good.  Can even get a good cold beer or three!  

• Like 3

I totally agree.  Some people get WAY more out of it than I'm able to.  Not sure why.  The best Disney experience I had is when my company rented out the park for an evening.  No lines.  Low density.  Adult beverages on offer.  No kids. :)  

I've been many times.  It took a couple of trips to figure it out. 

First, taking kids that young, who are too young to appreciate it for what it is, is the first mistake most people make. Second, only go either between Thanksgiving & Christmas, or in January or February. 

Kids should be at least 7 or 8 years of age before going to Disney. 

The best trip I had was taking the wife in early December when the place is a Christmas wonderland. Nobody does it like Disney. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stogieluver said:

I've been many times.  It took a couple of trips to figure it out. 

First, taking kids that young, who are too young to appreciate it for what it is, is the first mistake most people make. Second, only go either between Thanksgiving & Christmas, or in January or February. 

Kids should be at least 7 or 8 years of age before going to Disney. 

The best trip I had was taking the wife in early December when the place is a Christmas wonderland. Nobody does it like Disney. 

Stogieluver said it ... its hard with kids that young. We also watch the time of year and only go off season as he says. January is a great time.  We actually were at the Christmas party there last year and although crowded, it was amazing. 

Our family is right there with OP's wife. Me and my wife honeymooned there in '88 - our now young adult daughters practically grew up there. I never did wear mouse ears but do have a pirate bandanna with Goofy ears attached Ive worn at the Halloween parties there so I guess I qualify as a Disney nut. 

Having said all that I get what you're saying about the crowds, the heat, etc. we have learned to somewhat avoid that and enjoy it. 

Stogieluver I grew up in Pensacola - As a Saints fan. Long live Archie Manning ! 

Ive been twice. Once when I was 11 or 12. It enjoyed thoroughly, but didn't really fell the need to go back.

The second time was about 2 years ago, in February for a conference/trade show. I stayed in the compound, but a bit away from the parks themselves at the Grand Coronado something or other. This was also a very good experience, very different though. No kids, only went into the theme park itself for dinner one night, plenty of adult beverages and cigars, Sarah Palin. 

Great when with young kids. The way I used to do it is stay on a Disney property go first thing in the morning but then go back to the hotel for the afternoon and spend time by the pool, relax, wind down and have a cigar. Then head back later in the day to enjoy the evening at the park. Back to the hotel for a drink and another cigar. Repeat again the next day. Figured this out after being there a couple of times and made all the future visits much more enjoyable.

Doing it this way avoids what I see there all the time and that is all the crying tired kid that are leaving the park after a full day of cramming everything in.

Once the kids are a little older, Universal is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, LLC said:

Great when with young kids. The way I used to do it is stay on a Disney property go first thing in the morning but then go back to the hotel for the afternoon and spend time by the pool, relax, wind down and have a cigar. Then head back later in the day to enjoy the evening at the park. Back to the hotel for a drink and another cigar. Repeat again the next day. Figured this out after being there a couple of times and made all the future visits much more enjoyable.

Doing it this way avoids what I see there all the time and that is all the crying tired kid that are leaving the park after a full day of cramming everything in.

Once the kids are a little older, Universal is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the way to do it. I might add that we only stay at one of the four hotels, The Grand Floridian, on the sky tram line. With this, you get in an hour ahead of everyone else.  You can ride space mountain or splash mountain back to back many times in the off season. 

Everytime I HAVE to go, I think "the money I'm spending (which is CRAZY), I could be spending on a box of aged smokes".  Really, how can all these families afford the outlandish prices to get into this joint?

Thank goodness, my boy is old enough not to care for this place any longer. Now he just drags me to Six Flags and Knotts to go on the high G rides! :D

• Like 1

I got free passes for Disneyland through work.  I took the family for a quick Spring Break trip.  We have taken the family to both Disneyland and Disney World at Spring Break (wife is a teacher) and I can say it was utter madness.  I have never seen so many people in my life!  There was probably not a square foot in that park that day without a person in it.  You almost couldn't move because there were so many people.  We grabbed some fast passes and headed back to the hotel and swam during the day.  Went back at night and during the Electric Light parade that my kids did not have interest in seeing we pretty much had easy access to the rides.   Also the park was open till midnight so that weeds out some of the younger kids (if it is open that late during the time you are there).  We have also done the Disney cruise which is still hectic, but great with little ones.  Probably the only place you can enjoy a cigar on Disney property too (they have a high deck reserved for smokers with a bar near by...adults only deck)!

54 minutes ago, Cohiba007 said:

I live three miles from Disney and trust me, I hate it more than you. :

I believe you...but it might be close.

• Like 1