cleaning out the spirits cupboard

Ken Gargett

Just now, dicko said:

Thanks for sharing this. Do you reckon opened spirits lose flavour after a while? Worth worrying about?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

dicko, i've heard both sides argued. and also those who say they improve. i think a long period open can dim, or perhaps take the edge off. but i think you are talking a few years at least and it is minimal. others will say not so. be interested in the thoughts of others. it is a great question.

• Like 1

Wow Ken...93 bottles of rum? Impressive. My understanding about open bottles is that as long as the spirits have a certain percentage of alcohol, their shelf life is nothing to worry about. I have open bottles of Scotch whiskey, Benedictine, Jaegermeister etc. that I swear are every bit as good to drink after many years.

Although there is one bottle of Scotch whiskey I'd very much like to sample...Ernest Shackleton's stash of 1898 Mackinlay's Whiskey discovered in 2010 intact and in liquid form! 

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.1304252

Just now, JohnS said:

Wow Ken...93 bottles of rum? Impressive. My understanding about open bottles is that as long as the spirits have a certain percentage of alcohol, their shelf life is nothing to worry about. I have open bottles of Scotch whiskey, Benedictine, Jaegermeister etc. that I swear are every bit as good to drink after many years.

Although there is one bottle of Scotch whiskey I'd very much like to sample...Ernest Shackleton's stash of 1898 Mackinlay's Whiskey discovered in 2010 intact and in liquid form! 

the guys from yalumba have, i believe, some of the wines/sirits from the mawson trip in their museum as they were an original supplier. never convinced them to open a bottle though. that said, they were kind enough to open an 08 (that is 1908) tokay last visit a few months ago.

the problem with doing this is that i really thought i'd be able to combine open bottles to make space but it appears not one! wherever i have multiple bottles of something, only one is open. who knew i was so organised?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I have some cognac and scotch from the 1980's. You're welcome to sample, John.  :peace:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i set aside the bundy UP just for the occasion!

When I read 93 bottles I rum, I did wonder how many bottles of UP bundy were included in that

I had to clean off the liquor shelves in my pantry a while back as all the weight on the shelf was pulling the bolts out of the wall
Its kinda fun finding long lost bottles stashed at the back that I'd forgotten about (when in my life did a think I'd need 3x 1ltr bottles of OP bundy!?)

3 minutes ago, polarbear said:

When I read 93 bottles I rum, I did wonder how many bottles of UP bundy were included in that

just one. fortunately. that said, there are a few other bundys - the 8 year and even the remaining half of a bottle of their 18 year.

but this one is unopened and very dusty. perfect for uncle festa!

and if he finishes that, we might find some zacapa for him.

Depending on how much surface area is exposed to air, the alcohol will evaporate faster than the water. Thereby lowering the ABV. Yes, years, but again a bottle of whisky with only a couple fingers left better be drunk asap otherwise it will lose a lot of heat. That may be a good thing or bad thing depending on what your personal preference is. Same reason why scotch drinkers tend to let the drink sit in the glencairn for a while (rough rule of thumb a minute in the glass for every year in the barrel) in order to air out and settle down.

Got any pics Ken? Interested to see your storage, as mine is helter skelter and more disorganized than I like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shlomo said:

Depending on how much surface area is exposed to air, the alcohol will evaporate faster than the water. Thereby lowering the ABV. Yes, years, but again a bottle of whisky with only a couple fingers left better be drunk asap otherwise it will lose a lot of heat. That may be a good thing or bad thing depending on what your personal preference is. Same reason why scotch drinkers tend to let the drink sit in the glencairn for a while (rough rule of thumb a minute in the glass for every year in the barrel) in order to air out and settle down.

Got any pics Ken? Interested to see your storage, as mine is helter skelter and more disorganized than I like.

less disorganised now but pics don't really - it is one side of a hallway so all you get is a sea of bottle necks.